Code of Conduct

Default Soaking frankincense resin in olive oil for 5-6 months and using it as a fragrance

I learned from a youtube video how some people actually soak frankincense resin in olive oil for 5-6 months and use it as a fragrance on their beard and hair. Today I found an old small empty bottle of scotch with a cork cap, filled it up with olive oil and soaked it with about 15 frankincense resin. Corked it and put it away in my closet. I will revisit the bottle 5-6 month from now and see how it turns out?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Soaking frankincense resin in olive oil for 5-6 months and using it as a fragrance

Why wouldn't you use an oil that won't go rancid.

Default Re: Soaking frankincense resin in olive oil for 5-6 months and using it as a fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Why wouldn't you use an oil that won't go rancid.

What's a good oil that you recommend using? thanks
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Jojoba oil is a well known oil carried. Olive oil can get rancid due to oxidation. However, a chemist might shed some light as to the effect frankincense might have in this process, or the kind of olive oil to be used as a perfume carrier, for different kinds of olives used for olive oil making have an effect on decomposition (as well as storage conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Jojoba oil is a well known oil carried. Olive oil can get rancid due to oxidation. However, a chemist might shed some light as to the effect frankincense might have in this process, or the kind of olive oil to be used as a perfume carrier, for different kinds of olives used for olive oil making have an effect on decomposition (as well as storage conditions).
    thanks, I will try to find some jojoba oil
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Cork absorbs oil instead of repelling it like it does water, so you may want to re-think the stopper.

Yes, cork is not a good idea.

The more virgin the oil, the more likely it is to go bad. Rancidification only occurs with oxygen exposure, but if you recall, ethanol in wine will turn to ethanoic acid (vinegar) due to acetobacter and oxygen from that porous, breathable cork! That's why most wines have sulfite reducing agents in there.

I suppose you could put some oxidation inhibitor in the oil to preclude this rancification.

I wouldn't have used olive oil just because it has its very own smell; a more neutral oil would be appropriate (preferably one without double bonds; i.e. a saturated fat).

It's been over a year now since my frankincense resin has been sitting in some jojoba oil... applied some on tonight... it's wonderful and so soothing to the soul... smell so divine.....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Well done change1, what's the longevity you get out of it?

I do this for a conditioning oil for my beard. I do it on a much smaller scale though, and only make it up in 2oz batches at time as that tends to last me about six months. I use a 50/50 mix of Jojoba and Argan oils. The frankincense makes for a nice scent, but I have also been trying various mixes of essential oils over the past year. I LOVE it. My beard stays nice and soft without getting greasy, and always smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    What's a good oil that you recommend using? thanks
    Castrol. Though your beard may attract high school auto-shop teachers.