Code of Conduct

Default Aftelier Perfumes -Oud Luban sounds so good!

Never tried a solid perfume. SOOO expensive! How on earth would a person do a split of a solid perfume that is 1/4 ounce in size?
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Aftelier Perfumes -Oud Luban sounds so good!

I don't think you do, just splurge for the tin if you like it enough.
    Imagine getting some thick paste in the post wrapped up in a bit of clingfilm :') it'd look like you live in a right crack den.

Sound Scents

I have a sample of this one enroute along with samples of their solid rose and fir scents. All three sound good and may work for layering together. In particular I am interested to mix the Oud with the Rose one and see what transpires... I know what you mean about the cost though... Yikes!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I am about to order a sample, but with their minimum, I need to choose a couple more samples. Not sure what to try...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Tuberose & Cepes sounds awesome, haven't read many reviews on it though. That's the only Aftelier along with Luban that has caught my eye!

Concidentally, I too did the Oud Luban (2), Rose, and Fir samples. They're all too subtle for my taste.

As for the Oud... the orange vibe is somewhat interesting, definitely different, but there's not enough 'thump'. I gravitate more to the likes of Al Oudh, Leather Oud, Oud 27, etc. in the realm of western oud fragrance.

Not bad, just not for me.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

My absolute favorite oud blend. Put some in your hair for an all day experience. I just can't praise this fragrance enough. After I first sampled I knew I had to have a 1/4 oz tin. I didn't like the price at first, but I get so much pleasure out of it, I'm glad I bought some.
    Last edited by thebeck; 17th March 2012 at 10:15 PM.

once again, mr. beck is absolutely correct. took me a few wearings to 'understand' it & it IS a winner.
    i find it very similar, in development, to Harrods Oud
    Last edited by SoGent; 25th March 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Sound Scents

I gave my sample a good full wearing today and I would say Oud Luban definitely delivers the goods and I will be buying a tin shortly. It is now tied with the MdO as my favorite Oud scent. My only minor gripe with it is low longevity in relative terms (I get 5 hours on skin, for reference).

As for their Rose and Fir solids that I also sampled... Both are good (Fir is *really* good actually) but not even close to being worth their lofty price tags of $180 a piece for 1/4 ounce, as they pretty much are simplistic scents albeit natural ones. In the case of Oud Luban, it is slightly even more pricey, but worth it (in relative terms) for the quality, IMO. All three solids layer well with one another or can be worn separately.
    Last edited by drseid; 25th March 2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Never tried a solid perfume. SOOO expensive! How on earth would a person do a split of a solid perfume that is 1/4 ounce in size?
    If you order 8 samples you will get 2 grams. That is slightly more than the amount you would get in a split at the same price without the hassle of trying to split the solid.

I got a sample in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to wear this one. Just the smell in the package made me happy. Love the notes I detected, the blood orange and whatever else is in this. This one is exciting to me and I have not even worn it yet. Saving it for a special time so I can enjoy if fully.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Institution

I've worn this for my sample twice (I bought 2 samples and got about 3 wearings from them).

The first time the oud really jumped out at me, whereas the second time I wore it I smelled the orange top notes much more discernibly. They are a nice addition, perhaps the first time I've ever worn an oud / orange scent so it was really nice to realize that they make a fantastic combination, since the orange is very natural smelling, almost like fresh grated orange rind.

I have worn the oud smoothed out in my palms and then applied (like a lotion) to my arms, inside elbows, chest and back of my neck. I am hairy, so perhaps this has afforded me the opportunity to have the scent really 'stick' to my skin for more than 5 hours.

Both times I wore it, I could easily see layering this scent with some other scent, or oud...and I don't mean to downplay the scent when I say that, it's just that it's deep, woody complexity IMO lends itself to being a nice backdrop to another accord. Tonight I am in NY and I brought the last of my sample, so reading this thread has made me excited to wear it tonight...maybe I'll even layer it with my Bond No. 9 Harrods Swarovski Oud, which I happened to have brought my decant with me...although I think if I do the BN9 will most likely overpower the Aftelier. I mean in terms of sillage, longevity and radiance, a scent with synthetics is always going to outperform an all-natural.

As soon as I can afford a full tin (I went a little bonkers on other scents here in NY!!!), I'm buying one.

There's too many sh*tty, boring, derivative oud being released these days for us to let this one fly under the radar. Big props to the beck for posting about this one on that other thread we have about this scent, it was reading his comments that prompted me to sample it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

How big is the sample. They list it as 0.25ml, which is a very tiny amount.

I was gifted a tiny sample, not sure of the size. Prabably a little more than .25 gm. Not a lot though.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I was gifted a tiny sample, not sure of the size. Prabably a little more than .25 gm. Not a lot though.
    Keep us posted on this one Akahina. I would be interested to hear your take on it as well before i order a sample of my own.

I am still in the process of collecting fragrances for an Oud Smackdown. Stay tuned...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I am still in the process of collecting fragrances for an Oud Smackdown. Stay tuned...
    I'm definitely keen to hear your thoughts on this and others in an oud smackdown

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've worn this for my sample twice (I bought 2 samples and got about 3 wearings from them).

The first time the oud really jumped out at me, whereas the second time I wore it I smelled the orange top notes much more discernibly. They are a nice addition, perhaps the first time I've ever worn an oud / orange scent so it was really nice to realize that they make a fantastic combination, since the orange is very natural smelling, almost like fresh grated orange rind.

I have worn the oud smoothed out in my palms and then applied (like a lotion) to my arms, inside elbows, chest and back of my neck. I am hairy, so perhaps this has afforded me the opportunity to have the scent really 'stick' to my skin for more than 5 hours.

Both times I wore it, I could easily see layering this scent with some other scent, or oud...and I don't mean to downplay the scent when I say that, it's just that it's deep, woody complexity IMO lends itself to being a nice backdrop to another accord. Tonight I am in NY and I brought the last of my sample, so reading this thread has made me excited to wear it tonight...maybe I'll even layer it with my Bond No. 9 Harrods Swarovski Oud, which I happened to have brought my decant with me...although I think if I do the BN9 will most likely overpower the Aftelier. I mean in terms of sillage, longevity and radiance, a scent with synthetics is always going to outperform an all-natural.

As soon as I can afford a full tin (I went a little bonkers on other scents here in NY!!!), I'm buying one.

There's too many sh*tty, boring, derivative oud being released these days for us to let this one fly under the radar. Big props to the beck for posting about this one on that other thread we have about this scent, it was reading his comments that prompted me to sample it.
    I'm happy you enjoyed your sample as much as I did. Try adding a dab your hair. You'll smell way past 5 hours. I scent a sample to Akahina that will give 10 wearings for his Oud Smackdown - just in case he likes it, there's some to enjoy after the smackdown.

Here is what I have so far if anyone is interested. Still looking to get some more...comments welcome on what more to get, but I have a list! Making some notes now and wanting to make another sample order. I know I am missing some, and I have to check a few that I have that I think have oud in them but are not on the list. Jubilation XXV for example I think has an oud note.

Oud oil:
    ASAQ - Cambodi
    ASAQ - Moattaq
    ASAQ - Mubakhar
    ASAQ - Qadeem
    Arabian Oud - Syufi
    Oriscent - Kyara Koutan
    Oriscent - Sheikh's Borneo
    Oudimentary - KSSS (Cambodi)

Artificial Oud bases to be diluted to parfum strength (from Perfumer's Apprentice):
    Oud Blend "F"
    Black Agar

Western Fragrances with an oud note:
    Aftelier - Oud Luban (solid)
    Amouage - Homage
    Bond No.9 - Andy Warhol
    Bond No.9 - Harrod's Oud
    Bond No.9 - New York Amber
    Bond No.9 - New York Oud
    Bond No.9 - Signature
    Bruckner - Aoud 1 (by Micallef I believe)
    By Kilian - Amber Oud
    By Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    Clive Christian - "C"
    Dior - Leather Oud
    Commes des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Juicy Couture - Dirty English
    Juliet Has A Gun - Midnight Oud
    Kerosene - (R)oud Elements
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Al Aoudh
    Le Labo - Oud 27
    Montale - Aoud Gourmet
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Dark Aoud
    Montale - Moon Aoud
    Montale - Tajj
    Montale - White Aoud
    Oud Amber (From India, unknown house)
    Slumberhouse - Vikt (oil)
    SoOud - Asmar
    SoOud - Hajj
    SoOud - Kanz
    Swiss Arabian - Makhallat Malaki
    Soivohle - Oudh Lacquer
    Tom Ford - Arabian Oud
    Tom Ford - Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood
    Tom Ford - Santal Blush
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vintage)
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Some possible additions:
    - Mona di Orio's Oud
    - Kilian's Pure Oud (and maybe Rose Oud or Oud Extreme)
    - Micallef Aoud Homme
    - MFK Oud
    - Armani Prive Oud Royal
    - Creed Royal Oud
    - Byredo Accord Oud and Oud Immortel
    - HdP Petroleum and Ambrarem

I'm sure there are more...

I will add these to my list.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I ordered a sample of this from Aftelier perfumes today. I wonder why she doesn't offer Oud Luban in liquid form.

Akahina I've tried most of the ouds on your list. Here are a few oud samples I ordered today from The Perfumed Court.

Armani Prive Oud Royal EDP

Caron Oud by Caron Parfum

The Different Company Oud Shamash EDP Collection Excessive

The Different Company Oud for Love EDP Collection Excessive
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!