Code of Conduct

Default Article: New Creed "Royal Exclusives": Original Cologne, White Flowers and Jardins d'Amalfi

Default Re: Article: New Creed "Royal Exclusives": Original Cologne, White Flowers and Jardins d'Amalfi

635usd for 250ml, i pass.

Thanks for the update Grant! Can't wait to sniff these. Original Cologne in particular - wow, sounds like very nice stuff.

Thanks Grant. Finally we get the notes. And I should compliment my nose, my impressions in the "preview" thread were mostly spot on

Will they be available in the US?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jardins d'Amalfi sounds nice. Hope they come to the USA too.

Yes, I think they'll be coming to the US later in the year (poss Fall?), but seeing as you guys get all the limited edition stuff we don't ever see over here, then you can't complain :P

Blog Entries

Great Creations...!

Fit for the the lovely Royal Couple...!

They shall remind me of Kate and William...

Grant, I am surprised considering that the UK is their 3rd biggest market after the U.S. and Italy.

Default Re: Article: New Creed "Royal Exclusives": Original Cologne, White Flowers and Jardins d'Amalfi

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, I think they'll be coming to the US later in the year (poss Fall?), but seeing as you guys get all the limited edition stuff we don't ever see over here, then you can't complain :P
    I am surprised, considering that the UK is their 3rd biggest market after the US and Italy.
    -

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a hype tactic for the Brits because they're seeing a royal wedding this spring. actually seems like they're trying to cash in on that a bit with the timing. here in the US anything labeled "royal" doesn't really mean much.

The only reason to pay a lot of money (e.g. one fifth of what Creed are asking) for an eau de cologne is that it is made with (now rare) fine natural ingredients (these are available if you look around), not the usual synths which are used to extend longevity. Erwin himself has said they can't use proper bergamot oil because of regulations. These regulations have caused the deterioration of extant great colognes such as the guerlain ones which are a shadow of their prior selves, so what are the chances of Creed launching a good one now?
    Anyone who pays £400 for 250ml is not buying an eau de cologne but a badge which reads "I have more money than sense".

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    The only reason to pay a lot of money (e.g. one fifth of what Creed are asking) for an eau de cologne is that it is made with (now rare) fine natural ingredients (these are available if you look around), not the usual synths which are used to extend longevity. Erwin himself has said they can't use proper bergamot oil because of regulations. These regulations have caused the deterioration of extant great colognes such as the guerlain ones which are a shadow of their prior selves, so what are the chances of Creed launching a good one now?
    Anyone who pays £400 for 250ml is not buying an eau de cologne but a badge which reads "I have more money than sense".
    Ah but h_d, how about a little optimism here? There have been good edc/citrus based launches in the past couple of months. Some of the new Dior Colognes and a couple in the Kurkdjian collection are worth a sniff. Just because Guerlain has been phoning it in for the past decade or so doesn't mean that the other houses can't put out worthy stuff. I personally think Guerlain can't compete with the big boys anymore, what with the racist chants of their crazy head-figure and the merry-go-round whos-the-nose-of-the-house games ...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ah but h_d, how about a little optimism here? There have been good edc/citrus based launches in the past couple of months. Some of the new Dior Colognes and a couple in the Kurkdjian collection are worth a sniff. Just because Guerlain has been phoning it in for the past decade or so doesn't mean that the other houses can't put out worthy stuff. I personally think Guerlain can't compete with the big boys anymore, what with the racist chants of their crazy head-figure and the merry-go-round whos-the-nose-of-the-house games ...
    Agreed with all sentiments here. Let's give 'em a chance before we say we don't like it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Agreed with all sentiments here. Let's give 'em a chance before we say we don't like it, right?
    No sorry, not at £400 for an Eau de Cologne. There is just no justification for that price other than snob value. If the cologne persists as it is claimed, it is because it is full of synthetics. Good colognes need quality naturals.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    It's a hype tactic for the Brits because they're seeing a royal wedding this spring. actually seems like they're trying to cash in on that a bit with the timing.
    Agree. It's just another rip off, using the concept of the royal wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by wilz View Post
    Agree. It's just another rip off, using the concept of the royal wedding!
    Really surprised you can imagine a company like Creed could just 'throw together' a fine fragrance in time for the Royal Wedding. Creed fragrances are two years in the making mostly, so unless they've bottled psychic powers too, there is no way that this is possible. If you check back through Basenotes, the new Creed fragrances were mentioned two months before the royal engagement!

Yeah but its such a silly, cheesy, not to mention possibly deliberately misleading idea to call them royal exclusives when creed have no official royal endoresments or warrents for fragrance at all that you can't blame people for thinking its all a cynical ploy. In fact it is, just a different one.

Wow, those Creed marketing people seem to have dialed their blurb up from 'purple' to something like ultra-violet in terms of cliché-ridden, schmaltzy-prose. Astonishing.

It's also interesting to see that how they're unashamedly targeting a set of clients who fancy that they belong to an exclusive group above the common herd: 'the glamour of international Society' - i.e., members of a capitalised 'Society' and not the ordinary, lower-case one to which the non-Creed buying plebs presumably belong...

I don't blame people for making the obvious connection but feel it is a bit unfair when it is on assumption, not fact. But that is kind of like saying that King of Shaves shouldn't call themselves that because they've no connection to a king. It's splitting hairs.

No, "king" is an age old word used to mean "best". King of shaves have never sureptitiously desemenated (in a clever deniable fashion) the "rumour" that their razors were used by the queen mother. Or indeed put a coat pf arms which looks like that of a royal but isn't if you look carefully on their packaging. Etc ad infinitum.

Interesting. Taking into account that neither Original Vetiver nor Original Santal smell like Vetiver or Santal, my hopes are not very high for Creed's take on Cologne. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot the next time by the boutique.

just to say, was in harrods earlier in the week & Original cologne is on sale (earlier than the official June launch mentioned), was pleasant but not pleasant enough for £395!!!!

Basenotes Institution

I'm looking forward to trying these out . I wonder when they'll be in the US.