Code of Conduct

Default Empty sample vials

Hey folks,

When I ordered my samples from LuckyScent, I knew it would come in dab vials but now I think it's not very convenient to use and I'm unable to have a decent longevity when I do dab. Just like (almost) all of you, I got a pretty bunch of sample sprayer vials and of course some are empty now.

My question is : is it possible to properly wash the empty sprayer vials in order to use them again with an other fragrance ? Or is a fragrance so persistent that it "contaminates" a vial forever ?

I know I know, sprayer vials can be ordered cheap online, but I don't have enough dab vials yet that would justify a buy, and recycling is not such a bad idea after all
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Banned

Default Re: Empty sample vials

You can soak decanting supplies in a mix of water and rubbing alcohol, rinse them and let them dry. This will work for some vials but some perfumes are strong enough that the aroma will never leave (especially the caps, which are plastic). I'd keep recycled vials for your own use - don't send them out because of potential contamination. However you really should just buy yourself fresh vials - it costs like $13 for a gross of vials. Why risk contaminating a sample over an .08 cent vial?

just stock up. the small sprayers go as low as $4.00 per dozen. That's $0.33 per vial =/ Don't be cheap.

I'm sure the big glass ones can be cleaned, but the plastic ones, just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Why risk contaminating a sample over an .08 cent vial?
    0,66$ (with shipping) actually if I order 50 on http://accessoriesforfragrances.com/

Maybe you know a cheaper european-based site which would allow me not to pay 1/3 of total price in shipping ?
    33$ may seem ridiculous for some people, but when I'm "short-stack" like now, 33 bucks are 33 bucks and I have other priorities before buying sprayer vials (like samples, for example).
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Blog Entries

I've never succeeded in getting the smell out of the atomizers completely. I agree with the advice to buy new ones.

Fragrance samples are costly; the cost of new atomizers is a fraction of that, and you can be sure the samples haven't been contaminated. Even if you buy more than you need right now, eventually you will acquire more samples and then you'll already have the atomizers to decant the samples into.

Or do what I do, bring some along with you when you go shopping. If a store doesn't have samples to offer, ask politely if they will let you spray a little into your own sample atomizer. I do this all the time and virtually every store is okay with it.

Blog Entries

Could someone post the link(s) of online retailers that sell samples and flacons?
    There was a thread some time ago but I seem to be too stupid to find it.
    Smellin good

Blog Entries

There is a source in Europe (I have seen a thread recently) but I use Accessories for fragrances.com:

http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/

I've been doing this as well- decanting my dab samples into spray vials. I got a discount on the 3ml sprays, so it looks like there's almost nothing in there when I put in a .7ml vial, but it works...

Since I've become quite active in trading samples, etc. here on Basenotes I've started hoarding my empty sample vials, particularly if it's a fragrance I think I may well buy eventually. Then when I make a trade, I use those vials with the same fragrance that originally came in it, and send it on its merry way! The best way of recycling without risking contamination that I could come up with.

On a side note, I also use my old sample vials to hold algae oil for promoting my biodiesel company...

I've found that if you use hot water on glass vials, then vodka, then let them dry, they retain no previous scent. Let them dry at least a few days, in the sun if possible. With a sprayer, I fill it up with cheap "rubbing" type alcohol, spray it all out, let it dry, fill it up again with vodka, spray it all out, let it dry. I've never had a problem doing it this way, but then again, I haven't tried it with Kouros. LOL.