Code of Conduct

Default Where Should I Buy My First Creed(s)?

Hi, I am new to this forum and I really enjoyed reading some of the discussions.

I hope that you can help me decide what to do?

For some time now I want to buy Creed Green Irish Tweed. Finally I decided it's going to be for my birthday which is in 2 months.
    Last week I went to Neiman Marcus to sample couple more Creeds. Lady over there was really nice and she gave me and my wife 10 free samples (5 male + 5 female). One of these samples was Virgin Island Water which and I was so impressed with it, that every time that I use it it puts smile on my face.

Now I am in doubt I still like GIT very much but I also like Virgin Island Water and my funds are not allowing me to splash $600 and buy both of them.

Then I saw that on FragranceX.com you can buy both of them for little over $300. I mean I am getting 2 for the price of one! Perfect you would say, but...

I am not sure of the quality of the Creeds I am gonna get from them, how old they gonna be and if they gonna smell and last the same as the one from Neiman Marcus or Creed Boutique.

I would like to buy both of them right now but again should I take that risk or simply buy GIT this year and then wait another birthday and get Virgin Island Water.

Can you please share with me your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank You

Default Re: Where Should I Buy My First Creed(s)?

I'd pick the Creed Boutique or Nieman Marcus. If you choose to go with an online fragrance retailer, be aware that you might not be happy with what you receive. Just a thought.

Also look at Fragrancenet with the 15% off basenotes coupon or Amazon. Both have very good customer service and return policies so if you're unhappy with your purchase you can always return them and then go the more expensive route of buying from a dept store or the Creed boutique. You can very easily get both of those bottles for <$300, to me the price is not justified buying from a dept store

I'd honestly go with Neiman Marcus. It's much easier to deal with people face to face if there is a problem, and for new bottles, I usually prefer to go through the department store route if at all possible due to the sometimes dubious storage/sales/etc. practices of online retailers.

NONE of this is to say that buying online is bad; I've purchased tons of things online- very little local availability- and all my frags so far except for one have been authentic, fresh, and the sellers very good. Just make sure you're going through someone reputable.

I would suggest Neiman Marcus as well. There's nothing like striking up a valuable relationship with the knowledgable sales associates and feel that you are getting the best service possible. Neimans runs a promotion every so often where if you spend $500 in store, you will get a $75 gift card to apply to your purchase. I've used this on several occasions. If you purchase online beware of return policies and customer service practices.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I'd honestly go with Neiman Marcus. It's much easier to deal with people face to face if there is a problem, and for new bottles, I usually prefer to go through the department store route if at all possible due to the sometimes dubious storage/sales/etc. practices of online retailers.

NONE of this is to say that buying online is bad; I've purchased tons of things online- very little local availability- and all my frags so far except for one have been authentic, fresh, and the sellers very good. Just make sure you're going through someone reputable.
    Did you buy any Creed online? And if yes, what were your impressions.
    Are http://www.fragrancenet.com and http://www.fragrancex.com among those reputable online sellers?

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Would you buy 2 creeds from fragranceX or rather buy one from Creed Boutique? That is the question

if we were talking ebay then i'd be weary, but fragrancex is fairly reputable. So I say get it there for half the price, and if there's an issue (only one is that it could be oldish stock) then the return policy is solid. But it online, compare to your samples and save money.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Just buy 1oz bottles from Neiman's. By the time you're done with the 10z bottles you'll want to move on to other scents anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Did you buy any Creed online? And if yes, what were your impressions.
    Are http://www.fragrancenet.com and http://www.fragrancex.com among those reputable online sellers?
    The only Creed I have purchased online was a bottle of Santal Imperial from another member here. I was extremely pleased with him as a seller, with the fragrance, and his sale price. I would buy Creed from other folks here again, no question about it.

Fragrancenet seems to have good reviews from what I've read, and I honestly don't know much at all about FragranceX. I *personally* wouldn't do business with either, which is as much because of the issues with Creed's quality control as anything. Generally, if I received a defective product, either through the fault of the seller or the manufacturer, making a return to a large online company would be more difficult than it would be dealing with a department store.

Mind you, I'm not talking about "oh well, I didn't enjoy it" returns- I'm talking about issues where longevity may suffer, the top notes have burned off, and so on.

Does that make any sense?

Yeah it makes sense and I am closer to decision to buy GIT at Neiman Marcus and then wait probably next year to buy Virgin Island Water. I mean I can probably buy both of them right now but I can't justify to myself spending of $600 on fragrance.

Basenotes Member

my humble opinion is that a relationship with an SA at NM is invaluable. All of my Creeds have come from NM so far as I am weary of the different batches. I'm sure I'd still save money returning to some of the aforementioned online retailers in this thread, but I like dealing face to face on high dollar items. My SA has sent me several fragrances on request in the mail and I've given her feedback on which I like and don't like. She makes recommendations for me and is correct about 75% of the time. It's great. To me and this hobby I love it is invaluable.

For my first experiences with various Creeds, I bought the 1 ouncers and on several am very glad I did. However, I also ran out of a one ounce Aventus bottle after just one month, and next go around bought the 4 ounce of course. The 4 ounce is going a lot slower than the one ounce did; Ive discovered more fragrances that are not Creeds and so I use it less often now.

My advice is to buy one ouncers from NM and get both! It's less than the price of a 4ouncer. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    my humble opinion is that a relationship with an SA at NM is invaluable. All of my Creeds have come from NM so far as I am weary of the different batches. I'm sure I'd still save money returning to some of the aforementioned online retailers in this thread, but I like dealing face to face on high dollar items. My SA has sent me several fragrances on request in the mail and I've given her feedback on which I like and don't like. She makes recommendations for me and is correct about 75% of the time. It's great. To me and this hobby I love it is invaluable.

For my first experiences with various Creeds, I bought the 1 ouncers and on several am very glad I did. However, I also ran out of a one ounce Aventus bottle after just one month, and next go around bought the 4 ounce of course. The 4 ounce is going a lot slower than the one ounce did; Ive discovered more fragrances that are not Creeds and so I use it less often now.

My advice is to buy one ouncers from NM and get both! It's less than the price of a 4ouncer. Best of luck.
    This is an extremely expensive relationship both to acquire and to maintain. If you're planning on buying several Creeds now and in the future and have the extra money to spend to get exactly the bottles you want, then this is a relationship that's worth forging. However, if you know exactly which two Creeds you want and don't plan on purchasing any more in the near future, it's not worth it to spend more money and get 50% less product in return. Online vendors like Amazon and Fragrancenet have extremely generous return policies that you can get your money back if you are in any way dissatisfied with your purchase. If money is a concern, there's absolutely no reason not to at the very least go that route first, see what happens and worst case scenario, you return these products and go the more expensive route. These two bottles don't have to cost $600, they can be as expensive as you want them to be