Code of Conduct

Default Favourite scented soap?

Not entirely sure if this should go here or in the home fragrance forum, feel free to move if it's more appropriate somewhere else.

Anyway, my favourite line of soaps, Roger & Gallet, isn't available in my corner of the world anymore, and online distribution seems a little spotty as well. Hence, I'm on the lookout for nice perfumed soaps. I love the R&G soaps because they are creamy, well and strongly scented through the entire bar, the fragrances are old-fashioned, complex and rather sophisticated for a functional product like soap, and the wonderful packaging and presentation doesn't hurt either. I like Myrurgia's Maja soap, too; also strongly scented with a rich, complex fragrance, also rather old-fashioned, but I want some variety.

What are your favourite scented soaps? Do you have any recommendations? I've been thinking that perhaps I should try out some soaps with perfumes I like - I vaguely remember hearing great things about Chanel N°5 soap, for example.

Default Re: Favourite scented soap?

Definitely a fellow R&G fan! How about Strawberrynet? I think they carry the Vanilla and Bamboo (two of my favorites) - though "Spice" was one of my absolute favorite R&G's. Aveda makes several gorgeous soaps - one smells like Hermes Bel Ami. Also, you can still snag Equipage soaps on eBay (for a small fortune, usually). I love the Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte soap - the gigantic bars of bath soap.

Acca Kappa is spectacular, as are some of the french milled Crabtree & Evelyn (Nomad, Sandalwood are my favorites). I also dig the Bvlgari Green Tea bars. Pretty much anything high end that works up a nice lather!

Bath gel/shower gel/creams are not part of my showering routine.

Strawberrynet never has my favourite R&G soaps, unfortunately - I love their carnation, especially, and the sandalwood. Probably should try the ginger, which sounds nice and seems easier to get hold of than the marvellous Oeillet Mignardise.

I love the simple yet oh so good Dr Bronner's Peppermint Soap. I use it for everything - I even put in in my Waterpick when I waterfloss. Smells great on the skin, often lasting longer than some EDTs.

I haven't tried too many but I agree that Roger & Gallet are lovelly. I also have a Kouros soap which smells great. The trouble with both is they smell too good to use!

I love my Chanel soaps (No 5 and 19). They are very fragrant and a pleasure to use. Annick Goutal soaps seem amazing; I've only tried Rose Absolue which is rich and creamy with a strong scent. Guerlain soaps are also well worth a try!

Natural soaps from Brazil (specially from Natura) is very good indeed.

Nothing fancy, just the very affordable scented soaps by 4711 and Old Spice- not just the fragrance notes are stunning, but also the sensation on my skin

I like some of the Santa Maria Novella soaps, though they are expensive. My favorite is the dark Tabacco Toscano.

But, as others mentioned, I recently bought Roger et Gallet Extra vieille, and the neroli-eau de cologne works just perfectly. I have not smelled the 4711 soap, but I assume it'll be the same.

cacio

I just posted on the Ormande Jane homepage, but my favorite scented soaps of all time are the mint-green, huge bath bars of Guerlain. They came in mint-green paper wrappers with a gold embosssed sun burst motif.

They were heaven and lasted forever. My faves were Jicky and Mitsouko. God, what I'd give for a relaunch of these!
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Unfortunately my skin is rather allergic to fragranced bath products but among the few soaps I've had the pleasure of using, Chanel No.5 & Hermes 24, Faubourg get top marks for the luxuriant experience they provide. Mitsouko soaps? Oh my, say it isn't so...

The only scented soaps linked to a fragrance company that I have ever had were those of Roget & Gallet.

Hillaire

Amouage soaps are insanely good. I especially like Gold Woman.

No soap allowed in my house, we've got hard water and soap just sort of glues the dirt onto your skin along with a crust of minerals, very unpleasant. So we've been only body wash for many years.

I like the Body Shop Moringa and their Mandarin orange one; Canus Goat Milk lavender scent is pretty good, Mark (from Avon) made one that was fantastic one year -Marine something or other, it was spicy but it's long discontinued. Mostly I just look for stuff that doesn't offend the man, so citrus is usual, or vanilla. Daughter #2 loves the Green Tea and Cucumber by Dove.

The rather cheap Tabac soap from Mäurer & Wirtz is lovely, from the material in the bar to the fragrance, which is a bit like a masculine no 5 with a touch of barbershop. The bar looks excellent with nice shape and no cracks after months of use, and the fragrance lasts as well.

Not as creamy as the R&G soaps though.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I love my Chanel soaps (No 5 and 19). They are very fragrant and a pleasure to use. Annick Goutal soaps seem amazing; I've only tried Rose Absolue which is rich and creamy with a strong scent. Guerlain soaps are also well worth a try!
    Thanks, I am going to take that advice! I have Sharlimar Eau Legere in shower gel and it's fantastic, absolutely lemony heaven, highly recommended but getting hard to find.

Roger & Gallet Œillet Mignardise soap is one of my favorite things in the whole world, and I think it's downright nasty of R&G to have discontinued it (if I'm wrong about that, can anyone give me a link to where I can buy it? My French is not great, but I can't find it on their site at all). I have also loved Maja soaps and have been thinking of buying some again. So the first thing to do is ask, Pimpinett, is -- are you secretly me? No? Well all right then . . . have you tried Magno by La Toja? It's another lovely Spanish classic soap. It's also black glycerin, which looks pretty cool.

I actually use Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Unscented in the shower so as not to interfere with whatever perfume I'm wearing, but our upstairs bathroom sink has an ugly-but-heavenly-smelling vintage brown bar of Œillet Mignardise got on eBay.

Habit Rouge (Guerlain) & Vetiver & Juniper (Crabtree & Evelyn) are my favourites.

Crabtree & Evelyn and l'Occitane both have some nice stuff and are easy to find. I wish Roger & Gallet, Guerlain, Chanel et al were sold here in the shops! I did order some Villoresi Yerbamate Soap once with an order for a couple of bottles and it was really nice.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 24th December 2011 at 07:53 AM.

Blog Entries

I confess to being a soap junkie. Worth a try:

-Claus porto (many scents-- LOVE the mimosa, sandalwood and orange)
    -LUSH (however, these are not milled so they go fast. My favorite is the alkmaar)
    -Zum bars by Indigo wild-- (organic goat's milk. LOVE the grapefruit, frenkenscence and Myrhh and the orange sandalwood)
    -Pre de Provence soaps-- especially the St John's Wort
    -Caswell Massey (lilac, sandalwood and cold cream/almond)
    -Portico soaps (love the blood orange and the amber and olivewood)
    -L'erbolario di Lodi-- amazing soaps. Love the one with oak moss.
    -Alchemia soaps from Italy (a big bar that is hard to find.) OMG. Indian woods, Sandalwood and well, almost any of them. Sometimes TJ Maxx gets these but sometimes you can order them on Amazon.
    -Olivia care soaps (from France, I think)-- the orange and the grapefruit are amazing.
    -Magno soaps from Spain-- they used to make a blonde one that was super

And there are more too, but this is a good start... I have often tried to pair ones of these soaps with a fragrance.

On the same note, does anybody remember what the name of the soap from the movie Scent of a Woman was-- I have been wanting to try that one. Something brothers, I think.

Chanel no 5 soap is wonderful.

Savon de Provence soaps are very nice. You can get them in may scents. They are not expensive but I haven't found them on the Internet or in any shop. I have bought them when an international market have come to my town. The soaps are made with 72 % oil, very creamy. I usually buy a lot of them when the market comes so there are soaps everywhere in my flat. There is another brand of soaps from Provence wich you can find on the internet but those soaps are not as good.

Another vote for Magno, and particularly for their black soap -- it has a clean, intoxicating beauty that I have never tired of all these years. I also really like Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap (already mentioned), and L'Occitane's Shea Butter Soap in the Milk scent.

Taylors of Old Bond St. Sandalwood soap bar for me.

Blog Entries

Let me add a few more that I should have listed the first time around:

-Red flower makes amazing soaps and other products to layer- love the moroccan rose.

-Caudalie makes a fleur de vigne soap that matches their lotion/scent

-I wonder if the person two posts up was referring to the Savon de marseille-- they have been making it for 600 years! It is beautiful and the original formulation with 72% olive oil. I love the ones that have crushed flowers in them. You can get it easily on the internet-- many scents. Maybe this is the brand that person did not like so much? I like them a lot.

-If you are not shy about spending real money on soap there is Rance soap from Italy-- but I feel it is overpriced (48-60 dollars per box of multiples).

-There is a soap maker here in the US called "South of France" that sells soap nationwide in Wholefoods supermarkets. They make a honey soap using real honey with bits of the comb in it. If you like honey, this soap is amazing.

-Lightfoot soaps are available at the Vermont Country store-- haven't had a bad one yet.

-the saponificio artegenale fiorentine (probably spelled wrong-- sorry) makes amazing soaps that you can usually get in boxes of four. It is a better price than the rance.

You may have deduced from this that I have a soap fetish :-)-- drawers full or soap. But I tell my mister that soap does not really go bad and that we will use it. Plus, it is not a bad vice as vices go....

Oh-- after a little digging around, I discovered that the soap from the movie Scent of a Woman (Ogilvie sister's soap) does not really seem to exist. How disappointing. I loved that movie.

Update: I finally discovered various soap ranges from the manufacturer Nesti Dante (including floral soaps like the lavender-scented, fruity soaps, like the fig-scented and even soaps with gourmand notes like chocolate).

Any more info/feedback regarding this manufacturer?

Thanks lisa16! Those are certainly exhaustive lists! I've tried a few of them, but I'll keep my eyes open for some of the others.
    Yes, the Alchimia soaps are very nice, and I pick up almost all the "flavors" that I see when they hit TJMaxx. The Amber is great in the winter, and is a nice addition to my fragrances. Their cinnamon is also good, especially around the holidays. Winter Spices another winner.
    Good ole Caswell - Massey Sandalwood Soap is another that I almost always have in the shower during winter - to go under my sandalwood frags
    If I have a couple or three soaps going, I usually can blend with my fragrance of the day. A good, neutral Shea Butter is, of course, a good one to have in case others don't "match".
    And yes, I do give thought to this important topic of soap/fragrance blending!

Blog Entries

Ah cello-- it is sooo good to find a fellow soap-aholic. LOVE the Alchimia amber (sorry I mispelled it the first time-- it is indeed with an "i" if somebody needs to look it up on the net) and the winter spice as well. Almost all of them are great. I buy multiples and I buy my favorites out. And like you, I usually have 3 or 4 different soaps (well, truthfully, it is more like 5 or 6) in use at any one time.

The korres line used to (still?) make bar soap (the milk and coriander ones are very nice) but they make some of the best shower gels out there (in terms of scent.) I love the bottles printed in Greek.

And what about shampoos? There is one I am dying to tell people about by Rene Furterer-- it is called Myrrhea and it smells exactly like a divine "local" scent one of my friends from Saudi Arabia wears. I suppose most people would consider it a "masculine" scent, but I love those resinous notes. Sorry I digress... I don't want to hijack the thread.

queen of the universe

Cool Re: Favourite scented soap?

Quote Originally Posted by EugeniaLOL View Post
    So the first thing to do is ask, Pimpinett, is -- are you secretly me? No? Well all right then . . . have you tried Magno by La Toja? It's another lovely Spanish classic soap. It's also black glycerin, which looks pretty cool.
    I ask you, EugeniaLOL, are YOU secretly me??!!!! R&G and Magno by La Toja?
    Thanks for the link to La Tienda, I had just been wondering where to buy some.

Cheers!

Basenotes Institution

Hesperides soap by Fresh is gorgeous . Annick Goutal +1 and also Chanel No. 5 soap ! Oooh divine shower time !
    Crabtree & Evelyn 's Jojoba soap is very very good too. I love the fragrance of it. In fact I even bought the massge oil just because I adore the Jojoba line scent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hillaire

I just received an early X-mas gift of Micallef body products: liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner and body cream. They are so incredibly nice, and the smell is totally elegant, a little like her scent Jewel Woman. They can be purchased from the French boutiques or from Fortnum Mason in London.

I used to love R&G soaps too and, unfortunately, they are not available here any longer. I would use it to scent drawers too.
    I content myself with natural soaps such as Rehue (Argentinian brand). I also like the L'Occitane shea butter soaps and Natura (Brazilian brand).
    Shower gels (Sisley's Eau de Campagne and Amouage are my absolute favorites) cannot replace the wonderful feeling provided by a bar of soap.