Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Zino Lovers, Walk Away!!

I see that Zino by Davidoff is loved here on Basenotes. I haven't seen many on Youtube review it, or show any love for it.

Anyways, rather than make a thread about Zino, I decided to make one for the Zino haters. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this fragrance is vile. To me, it opens up with a smell of rotting vegetation, dead flowers, moldy wood, and powder -- Not even a somewhat enjoyable baby bowder.. rather a harsh ancient smelling powder. It just gets worse from there and starts to smell like old Indian food that's been sitting in a dumpster for a week. (I used to work in and Indian restaurant)

The only thing preventing this fragrance from being a 1 star, which is a rating I rarely give, is its somewhat redeemable dry down. I've gotten to its dry down twice, but the journey I had to embark upon in order to get there.. was horrid!

Default Re: Zino Lovers, Walk Away!!

I bought it blind. I wore it once. I am a former owner.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Just sold my bottle as well. Every time I sniff Zino I think "Eau de Mortician".
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Lomani Intense Black, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud and Slumberhouse Jeke

Oh yeah, the smell of Zino. I think I am one of the very few Youtubers to talk about this one. I think Isaac (Sickman1977) mentions it in one of his Jonny vids, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone under, say, 40 or so. I recall featuring this one in a video called, "cologne for goths" as well. Great scent for zombies, vampires, and the recently departed, but I think others can pass on it.

It's a "rough" formulation, but there are plenty of BNers who like this approach. I generally don't. I have about 2 ml of Zino right now and it will likely take me several years before I use it all, if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Oh yeah, the smell of Zino. I think I am one of the very few Youtubers to talk about this one. I think Isaac (Sickman1977) mentions it in one of his Jonny vids, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone under, say, 40 or so. I recall featuring this one in a video called, "cologne for goths" as well. Great scent for zombies, vampires, and the recently departed, but I think others can pass on it.
    Link to your channel?

Zino <3

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

And some Zino Haters cannot, for the life of them, understand great art, and worship stick figures the be all-end -all
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Ah Boys!!!! Zino is one of the greatest fragrances I've had the pleasure to be delighted by!!!!

It just goes to show that we all have different tastes.

I might start a post for haters of Jaipur!!! Still not sure my bottle is good.

Long live Zino!!!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Zino is a fantastic fragrance. One of the best, really.

Anyway, think I'll go start a thread for Green Irish Tweed haters now.

Git <3

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I think Zino is a fantastic fragrance.
    Me too

Zino is a true Masterpiece. Smell of prestige and sophistication..

Quote Originally Posted by FSM View Post
    Zino is a true Masterpiece. Smell of prestige and sophistication..
    and poo..

Zino is one of the dozen or so frags that get much love here, but I cannot handle. I am with the OP on this one.

Plant me firmly in the love Zino camp.

Sur la Plage

For Zino haters, God invented Acqua di Gio.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Ziiiiiing!---Ouch.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I hate it so much I bought several bottles.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Ah Boys!!!! Zino is one of the greatest fragrances I've had the pleasure to be delighted by!!!!

Long live Zino!!!
    PM me with some details Koala, I've got Jaipur EDT and EDP - happy to send you some to compare.
    Last edited by laph; 18th March 2011 at 03:30 AM.

theres an edp for zino 0_O I recently became a member of the zino camp thanks to koala, my god one of my favorites for sure

For those who find it too strong, I suggest tiny dabs to each wrist. Then if you don't like it, so be it! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    LOL, I would gladly wear AdG over this. I would even wear a shirt at @ BN meet that says "I love AdG"

I have been actually considering to blind buy Zino for a while, I've been intrigued but the very different reactions. If any former Zino lover wants to dump the bottle, come my way!
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Come to the dark side Lupo. Just buy, BUY!!! One of us, one of us, one of us.............
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Burberry Brit does rose justice, but not Zino. It's almost hard for me to believe that this was made by Davidoff. I mean, c'mon, let's move on and buy some Adventure or even Hot Water.

Just order 2 extra backup 4.2 oz bottles thanks to this thread...

Zino is great! The only flaw of it is that it can be atrocious during warm, humid periods of weather.

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    I have been actually considering to blind buy Zino for a while, I've been intrigued but the very different reactions. If any former Zino lover wants to dump the bottle, come my way!
    Armani Attitude (not Attitude Extreme) is a copy of Zino. Try Armani Attitude, if you'll like it then you'll like Zino even more for it is thicker and darker.

For Zino haters, God invented Acqua di Gio. LOl well said
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

DeepSilence

Zino <= 3 Just because of projection and lasting.
    It smells good IMO (Except topnote)

For Zino lovers, BN invented this forum.. go make your own thread about this vile fragrance!!!

Zino won't drop any panties, unless they are diapers in the retirement home.

Seems as if Zino is right up there with Kouros and Yatagan as far as love it or loathe it is concerned. I happen to really enjoy all three!

According to my ratings, it is 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Zino won't drop any panties, unless they are diapers in the retirement home.
    Damn, I gotta try it then. Love them GILFs.

Zino Lovers, Walk Away!!
    Man, you sound like an exorcist...

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    For Zino haters, God invented Acqua di Gio. LOl well said

I am a great fan of Zino and consider it excellent, but I think that ADG is a good fragrance in its style. They are just different

The only problem with Zino is that it is a little weak, I would like it to smell more like a parfum version of Salvador Dali Pour Homme.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-e-mental View Post
    The only problem with Zino is that it is a little weak, I would like it to smell more like a parfum version of Salvador Dali Pour Homme.
    I agree. Its longevity and projection are overly modest. A parfum version would be pretty cool.

big lol @ AdG!!
    and a good thing you guys hate Zino: more bottles left for us to empty!!

Zino makes me sick.

This thread is ridiculous...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I've made sure I'm well stocked up on Zino. Great fragrance. I truely feel like a mature man wearing it. Something my TapOut and Ed Hardy shirts cannot do for me.

And who cares if YouTube reviewers have or have not mentioned Zino in their reviews ? As if they are the pinnacle of fragrance intelligence. Far from it !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I've made sure I'm well stocked up on Zino. Great fragrance. I truely feel like a mature man wearing it. Something my TapOut and Ed Hardy shirts cannot do for me.

And who cares if YouTube reviewers have or have not mentioned Zino in their reviews ? As if they are the pinnacle of fragrance intelligence. Far from it !
    Well.. other classics like ApH seem to get plenty of spotlight. I guess the Zino epidemic is just here on BN. In my world, when I wear it, people seem to find it revolting.

Blog Entries

Zino in cold weather, on a Fri/Sat. evening walking around going bar/cafe hopping with friends during the holidays bundled up, ahhhhhh.....what a great experience!
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

We are talking about a dying scent,unfortunately discontinued,now available for almost nothing;everywhere!Two months ago I bought a 125 ml. bottle for 24,95 Euro,and I still can buy it for that price.Its takes some time,but the moment shall come that we pay a lot of money for this gem.Then it will be a great scent of the past.So we don't walk away from it,its walks slowly and sneaky away from us,so stock it up for your children!

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    We are talking about a dying scent,unfortunately discontinued,now available for almost nothing;everywhere!Two months ago I bought a 125 ml. bottle for 24,95 Euro,and I still can buy it for that price.Its takes some time,but the moment shall come that we pay a lot of money for this gem.Then it will be a great scent of the past.So we don't walk away from it,its walks slowly and sneaky away from us,so stock it up for your children!
    That's how ya know when a fragrance flops. When it's discontinued and doesn't go up in price. Granted it may take some time, but this has been discontinued for about a year now. I guess the consumers don't wanna smell like a dumpster full of old food, vomit, and diarrhea.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm actually not so sure it's discontinued. My local perfume shop restocks it, bottles with the new Davidoff logo, and these bottles sure aint old juice. Besides, popular demand will keep it going. Next to Cool Water, it's the brand's most popular scent. I can see not liking Zino, but I wonder about all the unsavory accords the OP lists in it - all I get is a touch of lavender and a very nice spicy rosewood. It smells like an old humidor.

I have a oz coming in the mail. If I don't like I'm going to smash it in the garbage dumpster to keep the raccoons away.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I'm actually not so sure it's discontinued. My local perfume shop restocks it, bottles with the new Davidoff logo, and these bottles sure aint old juice. Besides, popular demand will keep it going. Next to Cool Water, it's the brand's most popular scent. I can see not liking Zino, but I wonder about all the unsavory accords the OP lists in it - all I get is a touch of lavender and a very nice spicy rosewood. It smells like an old humidor.
    Relax / Zino / Good Life... all discontinued at the same time. Read it at several places.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Relax / Zino / Good Life... all discontinued at the same time. Read it at several places.
    This is true. They should have discontinued Silver Shadow while they were at it. I have not tried Relax or Good Life though, I never see them anywhere in person.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Yeah, I read that too a long time ago, but you can't always believe what you read. Unlike Relax and Good Life, I still see Zino - the "new" version with the new logo - stocked on shelves. I just don't buy that it's discontinued until it vanishes like the rest.

I love Zino, but I loved Relax even more. I did see 2 bottles of Relax offered at a local store last month, but the owner didn't have a tester available, so I didn't want to take the risk of buying a fake or an old bottle that didn't smell as nice as I remembered. Bummer: it was a great fragrance...

For Zino: they're selling 'em for 25 euro's over here in Amsterdam: a bargain! And they seem to have big stocks left. They have the new logo ['italic' Zino / 'straight' Davidoff]. I bought 3. Using one (and loving it after not using it for like 20 years), gave one away as a present to a dear friend, and stuffed one away to check again in a year or so when this one is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post

Long live Zino!!!
    Yes!!

Here's a new thread I believe will help both Zino lovers and haters:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...19#post2119219
    Last edited by Duver; 22nd March 2011 at 01:55 PM.

If I was a rich man, I'd buy an island, call it New Zinoland,and exile all the Zinosaurs to live there.

I propose we rename this thread "Zenophobia". And I like these threads where people civilly debate the merits of a frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    I propose we rename this thread "Zenophobia". And I like these threads where people civilly debate the merits of a frag.
    I propose another thread called "Photophobia" for an equally repulsive fragrance by Lagerfield.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I propose another thread called "Photophobia" for an equally repulsive fragrance by Lagerfield.
    Zino and Photo (both vintage) are two of my favorites! They smell quite natural and much more expensive than they are, to my nose. You could easily release them as niche men's frags today under say the Histoire de Parfums label and charge 5x as much for them, and name them Infant Terrible and Homme Vert or something.