Code of Conduct

Default Why Would Someone Not Like Eau de Rochas Homme?

Someone who likes citrus scents, that is.

It's possible Eau de Rochas Homme has the best positive to negative ratio here on Basenotes (29+ /3/ 0-)...

It's also hard to find many threads on it (it pops up here and there but there aren't many dedicated strictly to eau de rochas homme.....rochas man on the other hand...).

I'm considering it, as it seems to be an exceptionally good citrus scent, that flies under the radar a little bit.

But given that EDRH has ZERO negative reviews, I'm wondering what the possible drawbacks of this fragrance could be, or aspects of it that may turn someone off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated (there's not a lot of reviews online either!), even if all you have is praise for Eau de Rochas Homme.

P.S. I'm specifically referring to the newer version, not the vintage Eau de Rochas Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 18th March 2011 at 03:00 AM.

Default Re: Why Would Someone Not Like Eau de Rochas Homme?

I´ve just bought it today, it is nice, but not amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    I´ve just bought it today, it is nice, but not amazing.

Is it a little on the boring side?

If you have tried Eau Sauvage, how does it compare to it?

I think Eau Sauvage is more refined and complex, but Eau de Rochas is a nice classic citrus scent for summer days. Longevity seems to be better than E. Sauvage on my skin

The Rochas has a good dosing of myrrh and wood that gives a really nice, masculine twist on your typical citrus-based fresh scent.
    Eau Sauvage, on the other hand, is much more herbal - pine and rosemary, but the big difference between it and Rochas PH, is the super wet, jasmine floral component.

I think it's a very fine scent.

I think Eau de Rochas Homme is the classiest citrus scent I've come across - and I do mean "citrus" rather than the stronger citrus-woody scents. It has longevity of around 5 or 6 hours, which is much longer than say Eau Sauvage, YSL PH, Eau L'Artisan, L'Eau Par Kenzo to name a few.

I've owned it for 8 or 9 years. The most exasperating thing I've seen here during that time is guys who on quite afew occasions kept saying that Eau de Rochas PH either wasn't any good or was just okay, but then went on to say that guys should go and wear the vastly superior Eau de Rochas (i.e women's one). The latter is a fine scent, I've bought numerous bottles of it for women, but it plainly smells feminine to the nose, and isn't a patch on the men's one.
    Cheers,
    Renato

ES and EdRH are different. I get a much more prominent pine note in EdRH and I agree it is a great and affordable summer cologne with more longevity than ES.

Is it similar to live jazz or platinum egoiste in any way?

Big fan of Eau de Rochas pour Homme here, i just posted a review on this.
    I agree on Eau Sauvage being more complex, but I prefer the bitter, sharp edge of Eau de Rochas, expecially after a few hours.
    I've been wearing the female version too, and I find it equally nice, more floral perhaps. If they released Eau de Rochas pour femme as a current frag, it would certainly be unisex, although I agree that somehow it verges on the feminine side...
    Only shortcoming (minor one), it's not widely available on UK shelves, but fairly easy to find online at a very good price too.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Sur la Plage

Don't like it - no

Find it rather mediocre and boring - yes
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Is it similar to live jazz or platinum egoiste in any way?
    My answer would be no.
    Although Platinum Egoiste and Eau de Rochas Homme's opening notes both stimulate my nose more strongly than most other scents.
    Renato

I own it, but to me it reminds me a bit of Blenheim Bouquet (which I also own). Both strike me as formal citruses. And I like both. My problem is that when I am in the mood for such, I will always reach for Blenheim Bouquet first; I like it better. So I probably need to sell/trade my Eau de Rochas Homme.

Blog Entries

Eau de Rochas Homme is one of my favorite fragrances. A bright lemon-lime citrus that LASTS. The vintage version is divine, though.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    The vintage version is divine, though.
    Agreed. I own a bottle. It's one of those EDC-style frags where you can actually get more than just a hint of oakmoss... Exceptional stuff!

that rochas is always in my wishlist , is nice , comfortable and handsome , I think that its poor longevity and sillage burden a very nice smell
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    The vintage version is divine, though.
    ++1

This stuff is awesome!! My bottle is loaded with birch tar and oakmoss...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I didn't like it at all. It's got some note in common with all those modern-fresh-synthetic men's perfumes that I just can't stand. I have no idea what the note is, but I avoid it like the plague.
    I was very surprised, and saddened, to find it in EdRH.

Eau de Rochas Homme (pour Homme) is refreshing and nice but I got bored with it. It is a good, old fashioned take on a green eau de cologne with dry wood base. Clean refreshing but not very innovative fragrance but is normally offered at a great price. Lacoste Booster is not bad too.

Some niche alternatives, just to try, that add a bit more edge to this green + woods refreshing scent formula are: Villoresi Uomo, PG Yuzu Ab Irato, CDG Hinoki, Bond Riverside Dr., Creed Aventus, and if you really wanted to go all niche try Dior Granville. All are more updated alternatives to Eau de Rochas Homme, but also considerably costlier. I wore EDRH faithfully for several years a while back and really liked it for a while. Give it a try.

Thanks to everyone who replied. This is a tough one! Seems like it has its loyal fans who swear by it, and while there's few who dislike the frag, there are some who find it less than interesting...

I believe there may be some good alternatives as well. I don't know...I think this calls for a citrus sample show down! I'll be stopping by luckyscent later this week to see what I can find and spend the rest of March wearing citrus frags (lol). I want one really good one...

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I own it, but to me it reminds me a bit of Blenheim Bouquet (which I also own). Both strike me as formal citruses. And I like both. My problem is that when I am in the mood for such, I will always reach for Blenheim Bouquet first; I like it better. So I probably need to sell/trade my Eau de Rochas Homme.
    I have both too. After half an hour Blenheim strikes me as more a pine scent than a citrus scent. And my wife hates Blenheim.
    Cheers,
    Renato

AromiErotici

It's fair to middlin'........

I got this as a blind buy but am in the process of selling it. I thought it would be right up my alley but to me it smells too much like Strepsils -Honey & Lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    I love the vintage and can't find the new one anywhere to buy.
    Ebay has them. Have you checked?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied. This is a tough one! Seems like it has its loyal fans who swear by it, and while there's few who dislike the frag, there are some who find it less than interesting...
    I think the issue here is Rochas' fault -- the reformulation is called Eau de Rochas Homme with blue on the top and bottom of the box -- not the vintage POUR Homme with white on the top -- and apparently it has been ruined; I've never tried it. I have the vintage and it's terrific. The drydown is really dark and dry oakmoss, patchouli, cedar, myrrh. Great contrast to the opening citrus.

If you're looking for a dirt cheap, more synthetic cheaper-smelling alternative, I recommend Baryshnikov Sport.

I don't get much connection to Eau Sauvage which is much sweeter from the jasmine, more herbal, and more funky synthetic with the sage and hedione.

The other day, I had asked a client what scent he was wearing as I was sure it was Tauer's LDDM. He was an older gentleman in his 90's so I thought, this person has good taste in frags.

Lo and behold he tells me its Eau de Rochas Homme! We both had a good laugh over It as I thought for sure it was LADDM's drydown and he had never heard of it.

Now I've got another fragrance to sample. Does anyone else get the similarities or is my nose broken?
    Sale thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...-FREE-SHIPPING!!

Swap thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...es-and-Decants!

Looking to swap for Full or partial bottle of Jubilation XXV

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It's fair to middlin'........
    Agreed. A nice one, but far from greatness.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    The other day, I had asked a client what scent he was wearing as I was sure it was Tauer's LDDM. He was an older gentleman in his 90's so I thought, this person has good taste in frags.

Lo and behold he tells me its Eau de Rochas Homme! We both had a good laugh over It as I thought for sure it was LADDM's drydown and he had never heard of it.

Now I've got another fragrance to sample. Does anyone else get the similarities or is my nose broken?
    Nope, I find LADDM much richer and sweeter in the drydown, vanillic, while EdR is crisp, woody, and aromatic. Nose broken

The newer stuff I bought a few years ago was good, but the original formulation called Eau de Rochas pour Homme (with the Minotaurish font style on the bottle) is the probably best citrus chypre ever made.

That's what I figured.

And here I am sniffing my shirt to see if i had a remnant of LADDM on my clothes from a prior sampling, (as it can be persistent) but found no remnants of it on me. Lol
    Last edited by EncreNous; 8th September 2014 at 03:25 AM.
    Sale thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...-FREE-SHIPPING!!

Swap thread- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...es-and-Decants!

Looking to swap for Full or partial bottle of Jubilation XXV

One of the most decent and well-balanced citrus scents around, rather understated but still noticeably good.

Huge fan of citrus scents, but this one i'm not the hugest fan of. Pretty boring old school citrus scent to my nose a lot better out there, but not bad for it's price. Don't know why but it kinda smells like a mens Crew shampoo with cirtus added to it in the opening for me atleast. And i do get a little ysl live jazz vibe another frag which I don't care for.
    Last edited by Poohdini; 8th September 2014 at 09:20 AM.

reformulate lasts nothing and is boring the half quarter of the bottle was given away... to a dumpster!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Own the vintage and current version and I agree that there are quite some differences in performance as well as in smell.
    The vintage is far superior on all parts and it seems like that one has more notes.
    New one is good when you need to smell fresh for 1 or 2 hrs as after that it's gone or way way too weak.
    Vintage is vibrant, sharp, strong and lasting at least 4-5 hrs and has more of that old school citrus smell. Very good!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)