Code of Conduct

Default Recs please for white flowers - heady, indolic, not too loud blend

Please, I know you have wonderful suggestions for me in store... I have a craving this spring that Fleurs de Citronnier is serving to really well, but I need more

- Dominant tuberose can be a problem. I can smell it here in Fleurs de Citronnier, but I like how it is part of this beguiling blend. I'm coming to think of Fleurs de Citronnier more and more highly as I thought it was great and Serge Lutens doing an excellent 'designer'. Well, it is more...
    Carnal Flower I have a sample of and I found I couldn't live with this straight-up tuberose.

- I don't want something too synthetic smelling. I usually dislike it. Call me a snob, but the shopping mall scent will probably not deliver what I'm looking for here. Therefore, I'm a bit hesitative when I read about comments referring to Jo Malone Orange Blossom smelling too artificial or cheap.

To give you a bit of a frame:
    I have just revisited my La Reine Margot (Les Parfums Historiques - MPG). It is too sweet and I agree with one reviewer a tad too close to a sanitary cleaner or freshener. Also just a bit too loud for my taste.
    Rubj: I am not a great fan of the Vero Kern trilogy. It's nice, but I don't like the fresh, cough or mouth refreshing drop like quality in all of them. It's also not flowery enough for my purpose.
    No. 22: I have it and I adore it. It is a veil of sugar, incense and innocent white flowers at the same time for me. Not what I'm looking for here.
    Gandhara: A Neil Morris masterpiece that I own! I want more jasmine or whatever in what I'm looking for here.
    Fleur d'Oranger is rather quiet and weird (the cumin in this mix?) on me. I couldn't get a read of it. I still have a sample and should revisit it though.

In these standards (only a few, I know... lol) I am looking for jasmine and/or orange blossoms, neroli etc. and/or tuberose as a sideplayer.

Thank you, if you bore with me until here

Default Re: Recs please for white flowers - heady, indolic, not too loud blend

Caron Narcisse Blanc, white floral with metalic edge.
    DONNA

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia? Just a thought...

Dyptique Olene is a very indolic jasmine, and not too loud.
    Serge Lutens A la nuit is also indolic, as is his Sarrasin (the latter with other notes as well).

cacio

Blog Entries

+1 for Tuberose Gardenia; the tuberose is not dominant & it's a smooth, radiant, beautiful blend of white flowers.
    l also recommend Montale's Jasmin Full, my absolute favourite jasmine; heady, long-lasting & great sillage.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bulgari Jasmin Noir? Not too loud.

The only way I can wear white flowers (other than SL A La Nuit, Fleurs de Citronnier, and Fleur d'Oranger) is if they are singing in concert with some kind of woody base (sandalwood in Carnal Flower) or amber base (amber in Mugler's Alien). Otherwise, they get too "screechy" on me.

Having said that, and acknowledging that I like my white flowers BIG, here are a few recommendations:

Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur -- lots of white flowers in this one (although they are honeysuckle, gardenia, and lily, rather than jasmine, neroli, or tuberose), overlaid on both a woody and amber accord and shot through with a plummy/jammy thing. It's one of my favorite spring and fall florals.

+1 for Sarrasins -- beautiful, heady jasmine and leather. Sublime.

Badgley Mischka (original, not Couture) -- white, floral blend that emphasizes osmanthus, laid overtop of both sandalwood, amber, and (I think) patchouli. I really like it in cooler, sunny weather, but I suspect it would be too loud for you in spray form. You may, however, like it dabbed.

And, one of my favorites from Sonoma Scent Studio, Jour Ensoleille -- a jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose blend that is just beautiful, sitting overtop of sandalwood, incense, and oakmoss. It's properly a chypre but it just glows, like dappled sunlight. This will be my next full bottle from Laurie, as soon as it's available for purchase in something other than sample size.

Happy hunting, Larimar -- and I'm glad you got your foot looked at.

Off-Scenter

I also agree on Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, and suggest Le De, Amaranthine, Manoumalia, L'Infante, and Ophelia to boot!

Keiko M Datura Blanche - the sample I spilled all over my feet, sadly - might be just what you are looking for. It's pretty, not too conventional smelling, and not too loud.

I have a sample of Abdul Smad Al Qurashi, Royal Jasmine oil. For me, possibly the best jasmine perfume I've smelled so far. Med warm, rich jasmine. No other floral notes. I think it's gender neutral, but it smells very fem to me. Not too sweet, and to me it swells of warm weather and not a barn.

Oooo Larimar! I love me some heady, indolic, white florals too

I believe you already have Sarassins no? It's the only jasmine soliflore I can wear. A HUGE +1 for Tubereuse Criminelle. No explanation needed for it!
    AG Songes is kind of like Tubereuse Criminelle but with jasmine and frangipani instead of tuberose and more styrax and vanilla. Gorgeous, hypnotic, mesmerizing...these words don't do it justice.
    AG Tubereuse: kind of like Songes but stripped of all basenotes and all you're left with is an indolic, rubbery, carnal yet not heady tuberose. Pure, simple and luxurious.
    CDG Carnation: a true, no-holds-barred spicy carnation soliflore that gets creamier as it dries down.
    CDG Guerilla 1: This is a love-it-or-hate-it scent. It's unbelievably disturbing in all its fleshy glory...yet to me at least, projects an image of a indolic white florals, complete with damp soil and its pollenated surroundings. Other people say it smells like a meat locker. This is a very subtle, yet long lasting scent.
    FM Lys Meditteranie: has similar topnotes to Carnal Flower but then turns into a spicy white floral with a dominant lily note.
    Amouage Ubar: unabashedly huge, civety, creamy don't-mess-with-me white floral!
    L'artisan Fleur de Liane: this is not indolic, but it's a breathtakingly beautiful watery (no! don't go! i swear it's nice LOL!) white floral on a woody, cedary base. You have to wear it several times to understand its beauty.
    Une Fleur de Cassie: disturbing and nostalgic in a comforting way. Beautiful cassis flowers on a base of nutty, creamy sandalwood.
    +1 Voile de Fleur

L'Artisan's La Haie Fleurie & La Chasse aux Papillons are beautiful and not overpowering. And Joy also is a lovely, classic study in white. I love Jo Malone's Orange Blossom, but I cannot wear it often because it IS overpowering. But Serge Luten's A la Nuit is my favorite. Good luck with your search.

Sur la Plage

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Banned

Dior Diorama (reissue now available in US)
    L'Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillions
    Chanel Gardenia
    Hermes 24 Faubourg
    Patou Joy
    Parfumerie Generale Ether de Lilas
    Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle

Off-Scenter

Forgot a few good ones: Annick Goutal's Passion, and Nicolaï's Odalisque, Juste un Rêve, and Le Temps d'une Fête.

Blog Entries

Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari jasmine blooms with nightly splender with gardenia
    Gardenia Chanel

Ah, spring is in the air! I have been craving some white florals, too. Tuberose and jasmine, in their traditional interpretations, don't work for me, unfortunately.

Here are two scents that are "white" to me. I love both, though no tuberose in them: Jayne Ormonde Champaca and Amouage Reflection.

I'll follow the thread for other suggestions...

Another vote for Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder. But I much prefer it in the parfum concentration.

Pavillon des Fleurs is a new favorite of mine. It's like a stroll in an evening garden. Just fresh flowers. Lovely.

Gardenia by Isabey is stunning. Very heady and sultry. Go light on application though.

Have fun!

What about Love&tears by Killian or Un matin d'orage from AG? First one is an almost jasmine soliflore, the second is a springtime gardenia

Versace Blonde - monster tuberose

Some VERY good suggestions...may I add Christian Dior's DIORISSIMO?!

PC T-G is a great choice, as is Carnal Flower. I would add both Fracas and Douglas Hannant as well as Boucheron.

Wow! Thank you all so much! I have already written a list with your suggestions that I should be able to smell when I next go on a stroll in downtown Vienna dropping by my favorites shops. A few will need other sources and some internet research. This will keep me occupied for a while Thanks again so much for your input. It is very much appreciated!
    PS: Yes, I own and love Sarrasins (which is a lot about the leathery undertone on my skin) and Une Fleur de Cassie, which I wore last night, scent, since you mentioned it