Code of Conduct

Default Frag that you most liked unexpectedly:

Definitely Unforgivable, considering the bashing it received on BN, the cheesy name, and P.Diddy as the star selling the frag. Probably the best "celebrity" frag I've ever owned or tried.

Second place goes to CK Euphoria since CK is synonymous now with bland, mass-market frags (excluding Obsession/Eternity).

Default Re: Frag that you most liked unexpectedly:

Deisel Fuel for Life. Bashed on Basenotes reviews, but smells great. But I usually go by my noses versus reviews. Basenotes gave the scent that smells like Poop high reviews. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    Deisel Fuel for Life. Bashed on Basenotes reviews, but smells great. But I usually go by my noses versus reviews. Basenotes gave the scent that smells like Poop high reviews. LOL
    Conversely, my most disappointing frag *ever* based on the rave reviews on BN was Burberry London. Smells like paint thinner with a some port wine.

liszt, try Burberry London Special Edition...I didn't like the original one either, but the SE is a tad lighter and easier to wear, and Im complimented often enough when I wear it. I think you may be surprised...
    I smell better than you.

I developed an unexpected linking in the original formulation of Aramis Classic (1965), most would perceive it as dated, but there is something about this fragrance I simply adore

My biggest surprise lately has been Britney Spears' Believe. From what I read, Britney lovers seem to hate it, making it less surprising that I loved it enough to IMMEDIATELY purchase 2 more 100ml bottles as back-ups. Fresh, green, linden blossom. Reminds me very much of A Goutal's Eau du Ciel.

What happened to me recently is just the opposite. Quite unexpectedly about the whole Caron line was a big disappointment.

Midnight in Paris EDP

Quote Originally Posted by liszt View Post
    Conversely, my most disappointing frag *ever* based on the rave reviews on BN was Burberry London. Smells like paint thinner with a some port wine.
    Same here, Burberry London reviews here in BN led me to try it and what a huge disappointment, fortunately it was just a sample, much worse were A*men and Le Male because I bought a 3.3 oz bottle of each just based on BN's reviews and if Le Male is bad enough, A*men made me gag.

On the other hand, Sunset Boulevard probably is the biggest surprise I ever had, I was expecting nothing from it and turn out to be a real jewel.

I'd have to say Kouros. A recent purchase and I can't believe, one, that I had never smelled it in all these years and, two, it smells so fabulous!

well unforgivable is a creed clone isn't it? what's the deal with longevity? as far as I'm concerned an exclusive fragrance is somewhat tainted after being copied, though. I mean... there are 2 I really love but I simply won't wear them... not on account of their being copies but on account of the fact that I often smell them on other people, the to me best of the designers: Jaipur abut nd Envy. I always admire people who wear them, knowing only designer fragrances, for their taste. But...with all the intensity of my researches into fragrances I'm pretty much confined to wearing things I know I'm not about to smell on the guy I pass in the hotel corridor. I do own Jaipur and really ought to pick up some Envy just to express my approval!

I obtained some vintage Tabu EdC not long ago and was surprised at how good it was. I tried the new stuff a couple years ago and didn't like it at all.

For me its Boss Orange I just happened to try it by chance expecting nothing from it but it has this wonderful Frankincense at its core. I am actually going to purchase it at some point and for me liking it that much was a surprise.

Creed orange spice for men, at first i thought it smelled like detergent, but after several wearings I've come to appreciate it's quality. I got several compliments when i wore it out this past weekend.

Lanvin Vetiver was a surprise. It's just a really nice, easy going fragrance that I can pick up anytime.
    Similarly, Lanvin L'Homme Sport was an even bigger surprise. I usually hate this sort of thing, but this one is really well made, also easy going, and very well done.

Neither one are going to make many top 10 lists, but they do a great job of making me smell nice. Both are perfect for my work environment.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

^^
    Just giving extra kudos for Lanvin L'Homme Sport, the Sport moniker doesn't kill it all So so good.

I can think of hundreds where the inverse occurred.

But only several where I liked it not expecting too:
    3 from Malle (Bois D'Orage, Angeliques Sous La Pluie, and Carnal Flower)

Also, didn't expect to like Windsor I.....blind bought it thinking it was gonna be a pine/citrus fest with very little softness or warmth.

On women, the most "unexpected like" was "Ralph HOT"

Montale Black Aoud. Thought it was going to be too much for me but I love it.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Tous In Heaven Him - I would never have even tried it if not prompted but it's a fun casual scent.

Ed Hardy's "Love and Luck" and Azzaro Pour Homme (thought it was gonna be too 80's powerhouse, which I'm not into)

Most of Tom Ford line. Especially tuscan leather, arabian wood and italian cypress

Dior homme

Royal Bain de Caron was a nice pleasant surprise for me recently.

Tilda Swindon's fragrance: Like This - An absolutely gorgeous scent

Blog Entries

Pomegranate Noir Jo Malone Intoxicating Scent

I was pleasantly surprised by Ed Hardy Love and Luck. Here I was expecting a boring, run-of-the-mill, generic freshie, but it is actually very good. Yes, it is somewhat similar to Creed MI, but still very much its own animal. (Do I detect a hint of cinnamon?) Sillage and longevity are very good for a fragrance in this genre. Deserves a full wearing, as I wasn't all that impressed by a spray to my arm the first couple times I tried it. A full wearing makes all the difference. Very surprised by this one.

Fahrenheit. A frag from the 80's that smells like petrol (it's IMO undeserved headline) SHOULD have been a complete avoid for me.. But I LOVE the stuff.

Bois Du Portugal. Did not expect this frag to impress me the way it has.
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Blog Entries

Prada Infusion d'Homme. I've smelled Prada Amber prior to trying this one out and I never really cared for it or those kinds of scents that smelled like luxurious soap. Then here comes Prada Infusion d'Homme. Something about the way this clean and lightly musky iris note that felt comforting, much like baby powder. I didn't expect myself to enjoy this one as much as I did. Like I said, it smells like baby powder. I just didn't realize how much I actually liked the smell of it until I wore this.

Fleur du Male -- I found something strangely appealing about it and ended up buying a bottle. Still waiting for a chance to wear it out.

tuscan leather

Dreamer by Versace.
    Didn't expect such a wonderful fragrances coming out one of the most hideous bottles I've ever seen.
    Took me a while before I got myself to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Tilda Swindon's fragrance: Like This - An absolutely gorgeous scent
    Yup! I thought it was gonna be weird. Pumpkin? But man, I'm almost certain this will be a full bottle purchase for me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Tous In Heaven Him - I would never have even tried it if not prompted but it's a fun casual scent.
    nice scent
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I enjoy Chanel Bleu far more than I should, or thought I would. It's the kind of thing I usually hate, MarineSportBlueAquaticFreshWoodCitrus, and for some reason I not only tolerate it, but enjoy smelling it. Maybe it's just the quality of ingredients or talent of the perfumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Prada Infusion d'Homme. I've smelled Prada Amber prior to trying this one out and I never really cared for it or those kinds of scents that smelled like luxurious soap. Then here comes Prada Infusion d'Homme. Something about the way this clean and lightly musky iris note that felt comforting, much like baby powder. I didn't expect myself to enjoy this one as much as I did. Like I said, it smells like baby powder. I just didn't realize how much I actually liked the smell of it until I wore this.

Almost exactly my experience. Love the Infusion.

I'd say A*Men. First time I sprayed it on my hand, I thought wtf...but now I actually kind of like it. It still isn't my favorite by any means, but I can definitely appreciate it. Without A*Men there wouldn't be Pure Malt and Pure Havane, both my two favorite fragrances.

Granted, I haven't tried it in the Winter and the only reason I have a bottle is so I could appreciate it. It's the bigger brother of my two favorite fragrances so I thought it was only right I own a bottle and smell it time to time. And lastly, Pure Malt and Pure Havane blow it out of the water, but it's definitely a fragrance I can learn to like and definitely appreciate

Big surprises for me were Joop! Homme and Gaultier Le Male. I didn't expect to like either of them at all and found out that I loved both of them.

Caron Yatagan & Mazzolari Lui.

Different scents but both came with a 'ballbuster' reputation - "approach with extreme caution", sort of thing. Yet both of them have a very classy but comfortable, reassuring vibe to me - they take me back to happy, more innocent times in late 60s, early 70s.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

He Wood - DSquared2: I first smelled it at a Sephora in 2009, and thought it was a watery, nondescript frag. Smelt it again recently and bought a bottle immediately. One of the best woods i have come across lately.

Creed's Millesime Imperial - Similar experience with He Wood, except that i tried this several times and wondered what the big deal was. I think it clicked when i got the similarity with Silver Mountain Water.

I have given many unsuccessful first-tries second chances, but these two were a pleasant surprise.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

aspen
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)

I'm not in love the rose frags but I admit Le Labo Rose 31 is stunning. Thanks for the decant Al

Cheers Rex
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.