Code of Conduct

Default OLIBAN by KEIKO MECHERI

Greetings Basenoters,

When I sampled this today I thought I'd made a grave mistake. It was at first jarring to my nose and I thought it would induce a headache. After 15-20 minutes the fragrance started to open up and reveal a slightly softer side.

The opening which shocked me was a mix of the olibanum (frankincense) and atlas cedar wood. Strangely it reminded me of the taste of dark green olives in a pungent herb mix with lemon peel. I could actually taste this on my tongue, or my memory of it lingered, and for a moment I thought I may have to wash it off. There was almost that sharp pine scent mixed in but it retreated and the mix started to settle. Then the note of blonde tobacco started to emerge and the resin at the start began to fall away (but not completely- it stays throughout) and I think as at writing I am getting the honey note that's in there. More time will tell.

This is like nothing I've ever tried in a fragrance. It's a dark, striking scent and the frankincense gives it to my nose an other worldly and tenebrous quality. While I'll need more time to find where I sit with this I can appreciate how beautifully this is constructed. I think ladies would find it intriguing and it certainly is fascinating. I'm just not sure if I can get over the opening. On lucky scent it states that Oliban is the moody stranger with dark secrets and I think that sums this up perfectly.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: OLIBAN by KEIKO MECHERI

I love Oliban - it's a great fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well Koala, I had a somewhat similar experience to you. Except now I need to sample it again. My first sampling seemed to be jarring throughout the the next few hours. Perhaps it just wasn't for me at the time. But I've always wanted to come back to my sample, which I haven't in a while.

I'll test it out and see. Thanks for reminding !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It is a nice fragrance, but doesn't seem to last as long as an EDP should. The other Keiko Mecheri I enjoy is Cuir Cordoba, which is also nice, but rarely discussed.

I agree with calero. I liked it a lot and don't find it jarring at all and BUT it's too subtle on me so I decided not to purchase a full bottle.
    KM is good stuff. She's a great lady and has innovative fragrances. I really like Crystal d'Ambre and will probably buy it someday.
    The other one I love is Loukhoum Parfum du Soir.

I impulsively bought a bottle of Cuir Cordoba because out of everything I tested that day, it was the one that grabbed me the most. $115 for 2.5 oz in a very nice bottle is really not a bad deal. It will probably last me, oh 5 years maybe...

I'm going to re-sample Oliban soon. If I remember correctly, there is a faint whiff of Tabac Blond in it.