Code of Conduct

Default Which to NOT repurchase after finishing?

So this is my collection:
    Frederic Malle:
    Une Rose, Carnal Flower, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Musc Ravageur, Noir Epices, Geranium Pour Monsieur, L'eau d'Hiver

YSL:
    L'homme, La Nuit de L'homme

Le Male
    One Million
    Leau d'Issey
    212 Men
    Chanel Allure Sport
    D&G The One
    Green Irish Tweed
    Fahrenheit
    The Dreamer
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    A*Men
    Pure Malt
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Gave away:
    Chanel Allure Homme, Michael Kors for Men, Burberry London, Roadster, D&G Pour Homme

Lets assume that I will not buy anymore fragrances now and would like to streamline my collection even further. Which do you think are not worthy of a repurchase after I am done with them?

I am thinking of only keeping unique scents or keeping 1 scent for 1 type of purpose i.e. woody floral musk for Spring/Summer (GIT/L'homme), sensual scent for hot/cold weather, work scent, formal scent, for sports, for casual etc

Stuff I am considering of not purchasing again include:
    1) Either YSL L'homme or Chanel Allure Sport (because I probably will pick GIT/Vetiver Extraordinaire for a spring/fresh scent) - so which is more unique/better between the two (or put another way, which is a better 'casual' scent?)
    2) Issey Miyake (because I am done with aquatics [synthetic + common] and Carnal Flower is a better floral/summer scent)
    3) 212 Men (same reason as Issey Miyake),
    4) Le Male (because Musc Ravageur is my sensual scent, unless I want to keep a cheapy panty dropper)
    5) One Million (opening is just vile and only wearable at clubbing/night)
    6) Either La Nuit or A*Men because both suggests chocolates (La Nuit is more versatile but A*men is the only gourmand here)
    7) L'eau d'Hiver (because Gucci Pour Homme II can be my comfort scent and projects better than this expensive sucker)
    8) D&G The One (don't know where to wear this anymore, same reason why I gave away Chanel Allure Homme - I have Noir Epices)
    9) Terre d'Hermes (too middle-of-the-road, its not as earthy as people make it to be, GIT will be used more for the seasons that they are both suitable for)

Keepers for me are:
    Fahrenheit (unique rugged scent)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (my only tea scent, comfort scent and I like the smell of Chai Tea)
    Musc Ravageur (sensual scent)
    Carnal Flower (summer floral)
    Vetiver Extraordinaire + GIT (will use for same purpose, but I like VE a lot)
    Une Rose (my dirty rose for warmer nights)
    The Dreamer (sensual and very unique)

What do you guys think I should NOT repurchase and which other existing cologne do I have that already serves the purpose of the fragrance I will not buy in the future (for date, for casual, for fresh musk etcetc)?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Which to NOT repurchase after finishing?

Personally, I would not replace:

YSL L'Homme
    YSL La Nuit de L'homme
    Le Male
    One Million
    L'Eau d'Issey
    212 Men
    Chanel Allure Sport
    D&G The One
    Fahrenheit - unless it is the vintage formulation
    L'Eau d'Hiver
    The Dreamer
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th March 2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Probably more out of personal preference than anything else but I'd keep Terre d'Hermes parfum instead of The Dreamer. Otherwise yours looks like a solid, reasonably well thought-out plan to me.

Dependent

Going by smell (which is what matters to me), they all seem to be different enough to warrant as keepers if you like them enough. I can't tell for sure which one would work better than the other in certain weathers. So, based solely on my preference, I would give up repurchasing any of these:

Le Male (if you're holding on to the Dreamer, they're both really sweet)
    La Nuit (you want A*men, you don't need another versatile scent unless you really like it)

Just my humble opinion:

You don't repurchase something if you don't like it anymore. You repurchase something that you still fancy. You may make many U-turns during your time exploring scents. If you've really liked aquatics at a point of time, there is quite a likelihood of that interest returning, and you'll only know if it is worth repurchasing after finishing that particular bottle. (We're not talking about offloading, yeah? It is wasteful to sell and then repurchase later on)
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th March 2011 at 01:21 PM.

D&G The One

If you wanted to stream-line even further, these would be my fragrances to keep:

Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    L'eau d'Hiver
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    D&G The One
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Probably more out of personal preference than anything else but I'd keep Terre d'Hermes parfum instead of The Dreamer. Otherwise yours looks like a solid, reasonably well thought-out plan to me.
    Thanks! Good to know I am on the right track.

This hobby is really exciting, but of course it is starting to get very costly and I probably have enough fragrances to wear for the next 6-10 years with shelf life of only around 5 years for the collection (even less for niche). Also, I think I already have too many fragrances here that serves the same purpose (citrus/sweet, spicy vanilla, musky fresh etc) so really there is not much point to buy the same genre of fragrance as I will never be able to finish a bottle before their 'expiration'.

Still haven't decided on Terre d'Hermes as its really good, but I don't think its as earthy as people make it out to be. Very versatile fragrance though I have to say! Dreamer, you can say is my Dior Homme in the collection; something sensual or dreamy to wear in the fall.

Probably will keep either YSL L'homme or Chanel Allure Sport for my 'casual' scent.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    If you wanted to stream-line even further, these would be my fragrances to keep:

Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur
    Noir Epices
    L'eau d'Hiver

haha! I don't think I can EVEr reduce it to only 5 anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    haha! I don't think I can EVEr reduce it to only 5 anymore..
    can any of us?
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just wondering, which is your 'casual and cheapy' go to scent?