Code of Conduct

Default Can't smell Terre d'Hermes

I recently purchased Terre d'Hermes edt. For some reason no matter how much I spray I can only detect a very faint orange smell right after the application. It's only after one hour or so that I can detect a woody, vetiver like smell. I also tried to spray on my shirt and the fragrance is still VERY weak. However the lasting power of this weak woody smell is very good, easily 6h and +. I'm 100% sure that it's a legit bottle since it came from a reputable resaler. I'm really confused as I'm usually very sensitive to fragrances and rarely spray more than twice. But with TDH I even tried as much as 5 times, still only a faint smell of orange bark at beginning. I think my nose just refuse to smell top and middle notes... Has this happened to anyone else?

Default Re: Can't smell Terre d'Hermes

I have always had great projection, sillage and longevity with this scent.

This one is a projection monster on me. I find it very unusual that you can't smell it very well...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Ask people around you if they can smell it, when you first enter a room !

I'll ask next week. Today I've been to a meeting with 5 sprays of this stuff...I'm just hoping that its my skin and not my nose.

i've had similar experience. it must be my nose though coz before, using the same bottle, i could smell it and it smelled wonderful. then last weekend i put it on and just got what you described and none of the flinty earthy citrus vibe it usually has. tried it on a card and it was fine.
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)

It might all mean that it's just not a scent for you. If one doesn't like a scent once one has it, for whatever reason, it becomes a move on to the next thing moment.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Are there any tell-tale signs that it may not be legit??? Did it come boxed??

scentcloud: glad that I'm not the only one with this problem.

DustB: The thing is that I absolutely love how the dry-down smells like, I just have to get really close to my wrist, what a pity.

caler: the serials match with box, letters on the bottle are very clear, sprayer is very well embossed. BTW I tried edp before buying edt and it was just marginally stronger. So I guess my nose just can't detect some essential chemicals in this scent.

Smelling the wrist continually leads to olfactory fatigue. In order to avoid OF, I have to spray, blow on the spot to dry it quicker, then move to another room. I used to have a lot of OF problems with Jacomo Rouge, for example, but now it's way too strong for me (with one spray!), so I do think that certain notes may seem really weak at times (especially when you're a newbie).

Ask others what they smell on you and report back. It's the only way to tell if it's you or the fragrance.

I agree that it is more than likely olfactory fatigue...... I used to have a problem with Patch 24 (believe it or not ), so imagine how much carnage there was after I re applied it, thinking it had somewhat died on me.....
    I've garnered a lot more respect and understanding of it since then.....
    Keep this in mind when you next wear Terre d'Hermes, and you might learn to really appreciate it....

TdH is definately one of those for me where I cannot always smell it, but have received some comment which leads me to believe it must be olfactory fatique. Twice in the past few months I was shocked that someone could smell it a several feet away when I was certain it had worn off. It definately is out there.

TdH burns holes into my nose... I keep thinking about napalm, dont know why. Nuclear power bottled, ISO E super overdose.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

i can't imagine how someone can fake the smell of tdh. bottle yeah sure but the scent.
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Two sprays and I can smell it 16 hours later. I never get the orange or citrus like others but the earthy flint, and woodsy notes. Later in the drydown I notice a very subtle burnt caramel note. One of the comments/compliments was from a girl at work who asked if I was wearing essential oils.

Maybe you just can't smell ISO E Super (one of the main components in TdH) very well. I have similar experience with ISO E Super-based scents (TdH, Un Jardin series, etc).

I tried Terre d'Hermes for the first time last week and was entirely underwhelmed. It smells a lot like some of my attempts to make a cologne with eos. The cedar is quite prominent, but it is by no means a powerhouse.

Apply Terre on the back of your wrist. Within an hour after application:

1. Ask others, five is a good number, ten the best.

2. If all answers are "no, I cannot smell anything", then it can be either due to production problems or it is a fake.

3. If most answers are "yes", you and the ones answering "no" are anosmic to the blend, maybe due to the presence of Iso E Super, which is Terre's prominent aromachemical, or the blend of different aromachemicals.

Iso E Super fragrances have that effect. It seems this ingredient is good at magnifying and radiating small amounts of actual fragrance.

I did some research today and it turns out that TDH contains 50% Iso E Super. This leads to molecule 01 which is basically the chemical by its self. And on this review page on luckyscent: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=30800
    many people report that they can't smell it. I think I'm either anosmic to or get olfactory fatigue really fast with Iso E Super.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    I'm 100% sure that it's a legit bottle since it came from a reputable resaler.
    eBay or Basenotes? If Basenotes, then I'm going to roll with the majority here and say olfactory fatigue. If you bought it from eBay, well, then I'm not so sure - there are a lot of great sellers on eBay, sure; and there's just as many counterfeiters. eBay is as good as the gray market, bud.

Same thing as buying from fragrancenet or something else. I bought a Creed from fragrancenet and it smelled watered-down. I then went and bought another bottle, this time at Neiman Marcus, and it smelled great.

Unless you absolutely have to buy from eBay or an online retailer, then I'd stick to either Basenotes or an actual retail store. I bought my Terre d'Hermès at an actual Hermès store, so no worries there.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Sounds like the EDP version to me. The EDP has a very faint smell of orange. The EDT has a much better orange note.

I can't smell Le Male so
    I detect a hint of spearmint but that's all, so I have no idea what the frag actually smells like :P

Iso E Super can't be smelt by many, and it might cause headaches.

I'm almost certain that its because of olfactory fatigue since sometime I could get a whiff of the scent but next second its gone. Can anyone suggest a fragrance similar to tdh but without iso e super?

M7 Fresh is a good alternative to TDH. It has a similar blast of citrus in the opening with a touch of the original M7 in the base.

just don't sniff your wrist immediately.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Fret not, for I seldom get the orange peel note either & that's just fine by me (I know my skin eats up citrus notes). But I enjoy the mineralic vetiver accord as it moves into drydown, so who cares if it's rich in ISO E Super? Anyone with hang-ups over synthetics is welcomed to go the all-natural perfumery route though oddly enough, very few bother to do so.

I can't smell it either. The only thing I get is some mineral accord which I don't find pleasing at all. TDH is the most overrated frag on the planet. Simply a no nothing frag IMHO.