Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever experience a harsh opening with Green Irish Tweed?

For GIT, I love the drydown after an hour or so, but I find that the topnotes are pretty harsh and just really strong. Not as natural as other Creeds I have, but rather just really heavy. If it helps any, the lot # is S3209P01 and its straight from Creed so I know it is authentic. People always tell me that it smells good and really nice and it projects well and all that, but to me the topnotes are something I need to endure before I get to the good part.

Default Re: Do you ever experience a harsh opening with Green Irish Tweed?

Never have had problems with the top notes.

I never have. I like all phases of this fragrance from top to bottom. I also never use more than one spray because I can smell it 8-10 hours later maybe longer. I like to wear it in spring/summer but it is a fragrance that can be worn year round.

Try spraying from a further distance. I have found with GIT, more than any other fragrance, that the distance from which you spray can strikingly affect the initial concentration of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    Try spraying from a further distance. I have found with GIT, more than any other fragrance, that the distance from which you spray can strikingly affect the initial concentration of the scent.
    I will definitely try this, thanks! I do notice I spray from about an inch away so that might be it.

Nope, I actually enjoy the top notes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Let me be one of the few who will agree with the OP on this one. GIT's top leaves much to be desired for me. It's thick, spiky, and synthetic-smelling green. An overdose of dihydromyrcenol or something. It's one of a very few Creeds that comes across as blatantly synthetic to me. Compared to Chevrefeuille Original, which is green and smells 100% natural (even though I'm sure it's not), GIT doesn't even seem like it's made by the same company. I agree too that the drydown is gorgeous.

No initial harshness detected here...just the instant realization that I have good good batch of good GIT perfume!

Martin

I get the harshess top note quite often (not all the time though) The drydown is always amazing, it just doesn't project too much....

I can't stand the top notes, and I'm not going to stick around for the drydown !

The reason why it took me so long to buy GIT, is because half of the times I've tried it, it had a harsh synthetic opening. It's a well known fact that creed batches can greatly vary. Though I enjoy the dry down and ended up purchasing a bottle a short while back, haven't received it yet. But I do certainly find the opening harsh, spraying from a distance might be a good idea for sure.

Yes, it's the violets.

Yes, synthetic harshness up top. And some later on too. I still like it though...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Harsh topnotes and even the drydown is stuffy and unpleasant, though a lot of people seem to love it around here.

^What nsamadi said. It's the weird violet note.

Banned
    Blog Entries

There's citrus and verbena on top in GIT. the violet/violet leaf doesn't come forward until a good fifteen minutes into drydown. I think the poorly-rendered verbena accounts for the harshness more than anything.

Nothing harsh for me!!!
    Gary

in your post you said 'to me the topnotes are something I need to endure before I get to the good part.", this isn't what happens with GIT to me, but this is what happens with SMW for me. has that same weird smell from the cap.

I always enjoyed the lemon-verbena and mint on top of GIT......only thing I find strange is the flea collar and/or dog-shampoo note in the base. Some people are sensitive to Lyral and ionones though, so it could be those that seem irritating.