Code of Conduct

Default We are goin' to Paris!

So my wife and I are biting the bullet and going to Paris in late spring.

Any suggestions/ideas where to go fragrance-wise? (I already have the Guerlain store on my Bucket List but the question remains --- what to purchase? And what to look for?)
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: We are goin' to Paris!

Have fun! You can peruse a few past threads with many suggestions. If I were to choose three:
    Serge Lutens Palais Royal for the Paris exclusives (Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Iris Silver Mist, Fumerie Turque, Boxeuses, etc etc)
    Parfums de Nicolai (several locations): Odalisque, Vie de Chateau, Temps d'une fete, patch pour homme, etc etc
    and for big ticket splurge (EUR 500 or more) JAR parfums on rue Castiglione (Eclair)

cacio

You are wise to have the Guerlain store on your list. From there I would check Derby, Tonka Imperiale, Sprirtueuse Double vanille.

Also the Maison Francis Kurkdjian boutique would be well worth checking out as you could pick up his full sample set of fragrances.

Last but not least the Dior boutique would be great for checking out the exclusive collection which can be very difficult to purchase or sample.

Whilst at Guerlain, don't miss trying Arsene Lupin (Dandy) from the L'Art et la Matière series (in addition to Jack's recs).

Jovoy
    Montale
    Parfums De Nicolai

Here is my write up of three days in Paris - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/285...ping-Excrusion

In addition to all of your favorite houses.. I would strongly recommend both Jovoy and Sens Unique.. both have amazingly knowlegable and passionate SAs.

Looking at your wardrobe, the Guerlain boutique on the Champs Elysees would be essential. If you make a purchase, they will let you take a picture of yourself by the incredible tiered counter (in front of the window so you get a view.) If you happen to get a sample that you decide you like after you return to the state, the Las Vegas boutique carries just about everything the flagship does.

The Serge Lutens Palais Royale is another definite. For a bit of quirk, the Etat Libres D'Orage (Eldo) library is cool. The JAR store is hard to find (I walked by it three times and only found it after being walked to it by someone else.)

Consider a trip to Osmetheque - the fragrance museum. I missed it because I didn't know about it.

One tip - remember that the first floor is one floor up. The euros called the ground level - 0 - or G.

Never been to Paris but from all the reviews of the different stores and collections ive read about there u better save up and be prepared to spend a shit load, everything from the dior, chanel, armani exclusives to guerlain local exclusives. Id be scared to go to paris........

Agreed Canuck.. but skip the Chanel boutique.. unless your Asian, the sales associates will ignore you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    You are wise to have the Guerlain store on your list. From there I would check Derby, Tonka Imperiale, Sprirtueuse Double vanille.

Also the Maison Francis Kurkdjian boutique would be well worth checking out as you could pick up his full sample set of fragrances.

Last but not least the Dior boutique would be great for checking out the exclusive collection which can be very difficult to purchase or sample.
    Tonka Imperiale and Spiriteuse Double Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    but skip the Chanel boutique.. unless your Asian, the sales associates will ignore you.
    I actually received some attention from SA at Chanel's store here in Amsterdam, I have sampled on blotters: Sycomore, Bois Des Isles, Cuir de Russie (if I not mistaken,) after sampled them, I have requested SA:
    - Do you have all of these on 75 ml and 200 ml available?
    SA's Answer: Actually they are very expensive!!! and first of all, before I can check size's availability, make up your mind first, which one of them are you going to take? (Suffice to mention that I was proper dressed back them,)

After that, I have just left the store without purchasing any item, as I found this treatment towards a customer EXTREMELY RUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    Agreed Canuck.. but skip the Chanel boutique.. unless your Asian, the sales associates will ignore you.
    I didn't find that to be the case when I went in November. I went to 31 Rue Cambon. It was definitely the most intimidating shop I visited - the SAs are all dressed in Chanel black and everything seems so formal. However, I was attended within 2 minutes of entering the shop, and the SA was very helpful. I was out of there with what I wanted within 20 minutes and scored a few samples of Les Exclusifs to boot.

By the way, I was dressed for comfort as I had been walking a lot that day. I'm sure I looked like a fleabitten backpacker. Then again, I had a few bags from other shops, so at least she knew I wasn't destitute.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    So my wife and I are biting the bullet and going to Paris in late spring.

Any suggestions/ideas where to go fragrance-wise? (I already have the Guerlain store on my Bucket List but the question remains --- what to purchase? And what to look for?)
    You should check out the Habit Rouge l'Extrait. They will have it at the Guerlain boutique, and probably also at Galeries Lafayette and Printemps on Haussman. The latter 2 are great to visit, as between them you can find nearly anything except the Serge Lutens bell bottles, and they are next door to each other. GL at least also makes the tax refund process very easy - you can do it once for all your purchases at the store.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Never been to Paris but from all the reviews of the different stores and collections ive read about there u better save up and be prepared to spend a shit load, everything from the dior, chanel, armani exclusives to guerlain local exclusives. Id be scared to go to paris........
    Thanks for all the advice and tips, guys and gals.

And yeah. I am saving up a butt load. Though I don't plan on spending too much. I'm not that much of a perfume collector. I know my wife may want a bottle of something by Serge Lutens. For me, I plan on definitely getting a bottle of Derby while I'm in Paris and probably some incarnation of Vega or something for my mother.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

There is a perfume making class there I found on viator. Might be interesting to do while there.

IUNX at Hotel Costes