Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default I just noticed.......fragrancex.com/fragrancenet.com. So I'm reading reviews of colognes

and it seems to me that fragrance.net seems to only post positive reviews while fragrancex.com, like scentiments.com will show the negative along with the good.

Am I just imagining things?

Anyone out there go to Amazon, scentiments, fragrancex and such to read reviews as well as B'notes? Do you put much faith in them as maybe B'notes or Fragrantica?
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Default Re: I just noticed.......fragrancex.com/fragrancenet.com. So I'm reading reviews of colognes

nah fragrancenet has negative too.. just very very very rare

Blog Entries

Default Re: I just noticed.......fragrancex.com/fragrancenet.com. So I'm reading reviews of colognes

l'm not sure about fragrancex.com; l posted a negative review of Bond No. 9 Saks 5th Avenue For Her there a while back after getting a sample from them, & it never showed up on the site!
    Basenotes is always my most trusted site for reviews; l will only look on Fragrantica for fragrances that aren't in the basenotes directory. l also trust blogs such as Now Smell This or Perfume Shrine in preference to commercial sites in general.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I also read reviews on Makeupalley, particularly when a fragrance hasn't been reviewed here.

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    and it seems to me that fragrance.net seems to only post positive reviews while fragrancex.com, like scentiments.com will show the negative along with the good.

Am I just imagining things?

Anyone out there go to Amazon, scentiments, fragrancex and such to read reviews as well as B'notes? Do you put much faith in them as maybe B'notes or Fragrantica?

I absolutey would not put any faith in the reviews that appear on a commercial website.

Wanna see how Fragrancenet is managing their reviews? See what comments appear for "Exceptional--because you are...for Men," the one frag they seem to be pushing non-stop that also sucks. Not only does it have 63 reviews, I believe at least 62 of those are positive.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions a little here, but I don't think the suspicion is unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I also read reviews on Makeupalley, particularly when a fragrance hasn't been reviewed here.
    me too....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Another site that posts + and - is

Perfumeemporium.com
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Banned

it doesnt really matter what reviews say on commercial websites. Thats what basenotes and youtube is for. Obviously, websites that sell the fragrances are not going to post negative reviews, similarly to how you would not get your information about a product from the person selling it. It is basic sales conflict of interest. I never once have looked at reviews on the websites i buy from, and neither should you; it doesnt matter. Get your info from basenotes and youtube, then go to your online retailers to buy the stuff, and thats it.

None of those reviews really matter. You want reviews, come to BN or even Fragrantica. Though I feel the best and most informational reviews are here on BN, by the true fragrance enthusiasts. Fragrancenet reviews = average Joe's who buy a fragrance for their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    The best and most informational reviews are here on BN, by the true fragrance enthusiasts. Fragrancenet reviews = average Joe's who buy a fragrance for their brand.
    Yes, yes, and yes. I went there to see what it was like and didn't stay long. I really don't like the design, and the reviews aren't particularly helpful.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Never would have thought of taking fragrancenet's reviews seriously, all of the ones I've seen are "I've been using this cologne for x years and the ladies love it! It's gotten hard to find though... until I found fragrancenet! Thanks, fragrancenet!"

I've also used hit up makeupalley a few times for reviews, it's not as good a resource as BN's fragrance directory but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

I read this post several days ago but only after much browsing of my favorite fragrance sites do I have an explanation for it.
    Since I personally prefer to order my fragrances through fragrancenet when it comes time to make my fragrance purchases it is often to their site that I go to browse their catalogues. I think its fair to say that what is classed as "Reviews" on their site would be better termed "Testimonials." That been said the same term could be rightly termed for a lot of the sites currently online selling fragrances. I am also a member of Fragrantica which I think is the place to go if you hear a more indepth analysis of a fragrance. Personally I read both the reviews and the testimonies for a balanced and healthy informed view before deciding to buy. Sometimes if a reviewer will say they don't like a particular not ie. musk and I like musk then I don't particularly care for their opinion about a fragrance that supposedly may have a musk note. Its kind of like asking a man what bra do they prefer wearing.

I read this post several days ago but only after much browsing of my favorite fragrance sites do I have an explanation for it.
    Since I personally prefer to order my fragrances through fragrancenet when it comes time to make my fragrance purchases it is often to their site that I go to browse their catalogues. I think its fair to say that what is classed as "Reviews" on their site would be better termed "Testimonials." That been said the same term could be rightly termed for a lot of the sites currently online selling fragrances. I am also a member of Fragrantica which I think is the place to go if you hear a more indepth analysis of a fragrance. Personally I read both the reviews and the testimonies for a balanced and healthy informed view before deciding to buy. Sometimes if a reviewer will say they don't like a particular note ie. musk and suppose I like musk then I don't particularly care for their opinion about a fragrance that supposedly may have a musk note. Its kind of like asking a man what bra do they prefer wearing.

Not even every Positive comment shows up. I know I've posted a few positive comments on Fragrancenet and fragrancex for various fragrances and yet only a few of them have shown up. Fragrancenet claims to have shipped over 3 million orders. Whose got time to read 3 million reviews. It would only confuse me that's what reading reviews on Fragrantica does. I guess that Fragrance X has shipped a similar number of orders and would be filled with a similar number of reviews if they didn't edit some. All they really want to do is get the point across as to why you should purchase a particular fragrance not write journals on every fragrance they have in stock. Thats for "Just Reviews, affiliated and Forum" sites to do. They are after all a business.
    Last edited by beautee; 17th June 2011 at 03:16 AM.

I don't pay any attention to fragrance retailer website reviews.

Blog Entries

Thank you B'noters, it's nice to have some fellow scent enthusiasts give their thoughts and opinions.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

I personally stick to BN and Fragrantica and occasionally hop over to makeupalley. As others said, the reviews over at retailers sites are very rarely helpful.

BN generally still has the best reviews for niche scents, while you can get a much fairer assessment of many designer scents over at Fragrantica. Fragrantica is catching up in all areas though, and they simply have way more reviews of many many scents. I am finding more and more thoughtful and lengthy reviews over at Fragrantica, too - especially for designer scents.

Fragrantica's directory is also far more up to date than BN, and even has a cool new feature where people can vote on the most prominent notes in a scent and it shows a sort of weighted pyramid based on the total votes.

Honestly, these days I spend most of my "directory time" over at Fragrantica. That being said, the level of discussion is unparalleled here on BN, (I love you guys ). This probably sounds like some kind of Fragrantica propaganda but it isn't. I'd just really love to see BN catch up in all those other areas.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more