Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chanel Bois des Iles Eau de Cologne (EDC) and Cuir de Russie EDC -- vintages

I'm wondering if anyone has the Bois des Iles Eau de Cologne (vintage) or Cuir de Russie Eau de Cologne (also vintage) - made by Chanel in the 50's, I think it was.

I have the Cuir de Russie EdC and it is quite a different composition from the Eau de Toilette or Parfum (I've heard the same for No. 19 and certainly No. 5) I'm wondering if the same holds true for Bois des Iles - if it is almost an entirely different fragrance. Thanks!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Bois des Iles Eau de Cologne (EDC) and Cuir de Russie EDC -- vintages

OMG I would kill to smell/own Bois des Iles in EdC. Kill!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Bois des Iles Eau de Cologne (EDC) and Cuir de Russie EDC -- vintages

Mike - I heard from a friend who knows someone who purchased one of the Bois des Iles EdC - apparently it was very faded and only smelled a little bit like Bois des Iles with a whole lot of alcohol. NOT what I wanted to hear. There are 2 bottles of the vintage EdC on eBay right now... reasonably priced, but I don't want to take that gamble. I'd rather save my pennies for some vintage parfum/extrait, though the non-vintage parfum/extrait is wonderful too!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh that doesn't sound good Anthony, thanks for the heads up. I agree, BdI vintage parfum has always been at the top of my To Buy list.

I have had several negative experiences with buying vintage Chanel fragrances, that had turned. So it doesn't surprise me.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have Bois des Iles (not vintage) I got it from Chanel.com. It's something I prefer to wear at night or when the weather is cool because it is too heavy to wear when it's hot. I don't wear it very often. How well do vintage perfumes hold up over time?
    Last edited by Scentsamillion; 9th April 2011 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's true that (in my experience) some perfumes hold up better than others. Guerlain holds up very well. Chanel is not as reliable. It also has to do with how they were stored. If in its original box, kept sealed & out of the light, so much the better.