Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What would/did you wear for your wedding?

Gumoosh, thanks for your response! This is exactly what interests me about scent. I'm jotting down all these scents so I can sniff them I love the idea of not only having memories of the day tied to the scent, but memories of the fun with friends and loved ones while you shopped for it. I imagine that you're right, it's a lot like the dress. When you look at that dress again, you remember not just the day, but the anticipation leading up to it, and the warm memories of shopping for it with your friends/family, and also that feeling of "this is it".

Matilda, you were smart in having a goto scent throughout all this. I wonder if you will forever associate Chanel #5 Eau Premiere with these exciting days.

Great story, Gumoosh. I had fun sampling with one of my bridesmaids and my Dude of Honor (who's going to wear Sartorial thanks to a kind and timely swap from our friend Al Gae).

Thinking about the fact that this scent is going to be associated with such important memories really put the pressure on, I have to say!

It's been decided - the Mr will wear Sycomore on the big day. I'm totally in favor of this!

DH and I were married in Palm Beach County Courthouse on the most gorgeous perfect sunny day in February. I wore a pale creamy beige pantsuit with an ivory lace sleeveless blouse underneath, a spray of orange blossoms on my lapel, and my shoes had coral beaded starfish on my peep toes. My scent was Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Ylang-Vanille. I've been married twice, and on neither occasion did I wear a formal wedding dress. Can't remember much about the 1st one (just as well maybe).

I didn't give my scent much thought. I went with last minute intuition. Sometimes I think we can overthink these things. Just my wee two cents worth of a hint there. Congratulations, Matildaben!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The spray of orange blossoms must have been lovely, lilybelle!

I can see going casual and deciding fragrance last minute, and I can see planning the fragrance just as one plans the rest of the wardrobe for the big day. Casual as my wedding was, I was one who planned the scent in advance.

Now here is a question for those who are married already: If you were getting married now, what scent would you choose now? Would you choose the same one you wore to your wedding, or something else?

I would not wear Laura Ashley No. 1 again, even if it were not discontinued. I think I would go with a linden or orange blossom fragrance instead. Lately I've been enjoying Côté Bastide Tilleul a great deal-- sunny, comfortable, summery.

30 Roses, that's a great question!

Hi All, I'm a new member so patience with me if I appear to be ignorant...For my wedding day I wore Amouage Gold. It made me feel very special and confident. I wanted something bold and beautiful so for me this fitted the bill. My dress was ruby red and so my perfume needed to be just as daring. It lasted the whole day and night and my husband said I looked and smelled like a Hollywood filmstar!! I will never forget how I felt that day. I do love the Amouage range and even though it's pricey, the sheer enjoyment I get from it is worth every penny. I also love Ubar and Lyric. I also like Cherie by Dior and Tresor but find these have no staying power at all and quickly disappear. I want a beautiful floral, warm summer fragrance that lasts. Any ideas? Thanks

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, kittycat!

Amouage Gold is fantastic-- and I can see why you would want a bold, strong fragrance to go with your red dress!

Thank you for the welcome 30 Roses! It will be our second anniversary in May. This was my second marriage - the first was very non descript - and so I wanted all out glam!! Isn't it amazing how a fragrance can enhance how you feel? I felt like I had woken up after a long slumber and I wanted to experience all the excitement and beautiful things in life.... Perfume is one of those things and it is so passionate. I'm still enjoying learning!!

I was married in 1996. My fragrance of choice was Angel.

Kittycat, that red dress must have been gorgeous! I once saw a picture for a scarlet red wedding dress - strapless and short - that took my breath away since everything else about the wedding seemed white and black and traditional. The color was so startling and vivid, modern yet romantic, and alive! I've had that red wedding dress in the back of my mind ever since.

If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably choose an orange blossom scent like 30 Roses. Classic, yet sublime. I'm not sure which one...but an orange blossom that is both both narcotic and uplifting. I've told my husband that I want to renew our vows on our tenth wedding anniversary (2013) in a church ceremony. Maybe a red dress will work on that occasion. It's Feb. 12, close to Valentine's Day.

Thanks Lilybelle. I note that you also have experienced a second wedding. Renewing your vows sounds like a really lovely idea and I can tell you from personal experience that wearing a red dress is so exciting. It was rich ruby red with a corseted heart shaped strapless bodice, and oodles of luxurious fabric on the bottom. In my experience what your wear is an expression of how you feel - for me it was liberating, adventurous, and my chance to unashamedly shine. Therefore Amouage Gold showcased all that perfectly.... An orange blossom fragrance sounds very elegant and sophisticated, yet delicious and seductive at the same time. It's very romantic to renew your vows, especially in church. How lovely!

The next fragrances I am considering buying are La Rose de Rosine, and Aimez moi. Have you tried either of these, and if so what did you think of them? After having obtained a sample bottle, I have just ordered a bottle of Ormonde Jayne's Taif -very rosy but very beautiful. I can't wait for it to arrive. Feeling a bit like a child in a candy shop at the moment - so many enticing fragrances to try....

Your red dress sounds beautiful, Kittykat! No, I haven't tried La Rose de Rosine or Aimez Moi. It will be interesting to know your impressions when you're ready to post them.

I cannot explain why I've followed this thread as keenly as I have--I'm young, self-involved, wary of obligation, and dubious about love itself--but perhaps the simple act of doing so suggests there may be hope for me, yet.

I just wanted to say that the idea of a ruby-red wedding dress is one of the most fantastic things I have ever heard.

Between that and Gold, I'll bet you knocked it out of the park and clear into the next county.

Hi Emlynevermore and thanks for the fab comments. I had the best day of my life! There's nothing wrong with being young and carefree - I'd say enjoy it! As for love, there's so much of it out there - it's not just confined to romantic relationships so enjoy it in whatever form it comes.... This could be love of sport, love of friends, love of a pet, LOVE OF FRAGRANCE AND SMELLING GOOD, and so on. Love for a special person comes when you're ready and not before. Like you, I doubted whether 'real love' really existed and I spent far too long in a loveless and destructive relationship, but then it all changed...Six years later I'm happier than I have ever been. I went back to education and gained my degree, lost weight and took an interest in looking and feeling good. My passion for clothes and fragrance is a continuation of that journey. During my transitional period as I like to call it, I read an extract from Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech (originally by Marianne Williamson) which touched a chord deep within me. Basically, it says that there is nothing enlightened about playing it small and hiding your gifts - Shine, share and take joy in the talents that you have and by doing this you give other people permission to do the same. Imagine a world where people are radiant with love of who they are, and what they do....but I digress. I met a wonderful person who loves it when I 'glam' up, enjoys shopping with me and watching me try clothes on, and shares my pleasure of fine fragrance. He positively encouraged my education and was not at all insecure about my achievments. A fragrance can express exactly how you are feeling, and can evoke memoires, uplift and inspire. Fidji reminds me of my mum, Prada (classic) makes me feel warm and content, and Ubar makes me feel v.glam on a night out. Well, I've probably said way too much.... Happy Easter everyone and SHINE!!

We were married in Las Vegas at The Little White Chapel. My husband wore a blue silk Calvin Klein suit with an OP tee shirt and flip flops. I wore a peach chiffon mermaid dress with a low cut back and cups that made my boobs look huge. Everyone who sees my wedding photos gasps and says, "Where did you get that rack?!!" I also wore Steve Madden platform thongs, and my hair was cut in a cute bob with fringe after a Peter Schlesinger photo I'd seen in a magazine. We invited a half dozen of our closest West Coast friends and put them up at The Sahara, while we stayed at The Aladdin. I made my wedding bouquet in our hotel room with flowers I ordered online and did my make up at Sephora. That's the only time I've ever worn Beyond Paradise!

white wedding dress

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    So I read a thread over on the starting board about someone looking for a fragrance for their wedding and it got me thinking. We associate memories so strongly with fragrance that I can imagine it being a bit daunting to decide what you would wear for this day. I'm interested in what people would or did wear and their reasons for that. I'm single, and I can't say I've given it much thought til now, but I'm very curious.

What would or did you wear and why? What entered into that decision? What others did you contemplate and rule out, and why? Would you choose the same thing now?
    Welcome, longwaygo - do you remember which fragrance you wore?

Currently unmarried, never married so far- but I'd wear something classic befitting (in my opinion) this special occasion, possibly Armani Eau pour Homme.

Him: Bois d'Ascese. Me: L'Heure Bleue. First wedding to him: white suit, maybe Mondi, bought in Munich during a lunch break and he wore Brooks Brothers. Second wedding to him at nearby JP: everyday clothes.

Well, here's a note from the old crowd-married in 1968, wore my HG and signature for a LONG time: Norell. I still wear it but with no memories of the big day. (but this thread has brought them back!) I did wear it every time my kids came home from college and after, because they were so used to me with that scent. Now I have a large number of bottles of various ones: my daughter has chosen Seringa for me while in London, and went thru many hoops to give me a very limited Jubilee Bouquet by Grassmith for my 70th birthday. Becoming a widow last summer I wore Norell because it had such a long history with me and my family. I also wore it for my vows renewal at 25 years, at the chapel on the campus where my dh went to undergrad school and dd did her master's thesis on that chapel.
    I will hold myself to a standard of GRACE, not perfection.
    I am neither made nor unmade by things around me, but by my reaction to them.