Code of Conduct

Default Living in Florida but loves fall/winter/gourmond scents

Maybe I am weird but I never got into ozone/citrus summer scents. I live in florida and there's only random days that's cold but I love winter/gourmond scents. The ONLY thing I like that I don't know if its even a summer frag is Chanel Platinum.

Can someone suggest some fragrances that can hit the sweet spot for me? Or hybrids that are multi seasonal? I herd the new Havane by Thierry Muglar is a great hybrid.

Default Re: Living in Florida but loves fall/winter/gourmond scents

For me it'd be Etat Libre d'Orange's Tilda Swinton Like This, and Hermes Elixir des Merveilles.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Hi Mate, I recently moved to Florida as well, and suffering from the same problem as you. Everything I've got is a heavy hitter oriental/gourmand/middle eastern. The only summer perfumes I have in my large collection are Mugler Cologne and Allure Homme Edition Blanche, which rarely interest.

So here are some of my finds:
    Chergui and Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. They really blossom in the heat, but might not be every bodies cup of tea. I think the same applies to many other serge lutens fragrances; they work in the heat, but they might be too spicy for some.
    Tonka Imperiale: Not in extremely hot days, preferably under the shirt. You could even do that with other heavy orientals, 2 sprays under the shirt maybe. Or one under the shirt and one on the neck/arms.
    Pure Havane: It did come as a surprise how light and transparent this is, you are right, but I only tested it once.
    Eau Duelle: So far this one has been perfect, Bright, fresh somewhat green vanilla. Amazing longevity, projection is low, but that's the point isn't it? it's my everyday summer fragrance now.

I'm looking forward to try some of Ellenas' creations, hermessence line and what have you. They might work perfectly in the summer....and then there's also creed....but I'm yet to find one that impresses me enough for the price (except for aventus, but people complain about different patches..)

Also, try two sprays of some of your heavy winter gourmands under the shirt. Might not seem like the nicest idea. But I do that occasionally with fragrances like Musc Ravageur, and it does wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by SymbianBlack View Post
    Can someone suggest some fragrances that can hit the sweet spot for me? Or hybrids that are multi seasonal? I herd the new Havane by Thierry Muglar is a great hybrid.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just dial back on the amount sprayed, or save the heavier orientals and gourmands for days you'll be staying inside? Those aren't my favorite styles, but I do have a couple of "heavier" frags in rotation.

That said, Habit Rouge EdC is a good all-season fragrance, as it seems to weather heat better than many things I've tried. Equipage is another light oriental that's worth trying.

Perhaps Rochas Man

I'd give Czech & Speake Neroli a try

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Rochas Man
    I was kinda thinking that being I herd the description of the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just dial back on the amount sprayed, or save the heavier orientals and gourmands for days you'll be staying inside? Those aren't my favorite styles, but I do have a couple of "heavier" frags in rotation.

That said, Habit Rouge EdC is a good all-season fragrance, as it seems to weather heat better than many things I've tried. Equipage is another light oriental that's worth trying.
    Equipage I actually tried and the opening is wonderful its just that the dry down actually sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    For me it'd be Etat Libre d'Orange's Tilda Swinton Like This, and Hermes Elixir des Merveilles.
    Is that hermes scent a womens scent?

Thierry muglar A Men? Or is that a hell. No

Blog Entries

Hanae Mori. A somewhat bright lemon to start, then it dries down to chocolate.

Basenotes Institution

No, SymbianBlack, you are not weird. I have lived in Miami, Florida my whole life and always enjoyed the spicier, oriental fragrances that honestly are not easy at all to wear here. Even a light application of many orientals is still TOO much to enjoy, for me. I sweat a lot, in hot weather, and some fragrances (many of the Serge Lutens line) just feel yucky and gross mixed with sweat...even though in cold/cool weather they smell fantastic. So, your question is a valid one and is one that has been discussed numerous times here on Basenotes. I would try doing an Advanced Search with the words 'summer' in the title and I'm sure you'll find numerous threads on this very same topic.

Since you do not have a link to your wardrobe (what you already own and wear and like) it's hard for me to know if my recommendations you've already smelled, or own, or maybe you hate them. But here it goes anyway:

Terre de Hermes by Hermes
    Vetiver by Guerlain (the vintage Eau de Cologne is my favorite, although it's a bit harder to find than the Eau de Toilette)
    Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford
    Infusion d'Homme by Prada (do you like iris? If so, try this one)
    Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Personally, I do not think Rochas Man, Chergui, A*Men Pure Havane or Tonka Imperiale are what you're looking for - they all are too, too heavy for me to comfortably wear all year round.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Hanae Mori. A somewhat bright lemon to start, then it dries down to chocolate.
    Projection and strength?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No, SymbianBlack, you are not weird. I have lived in Miami, Florida my whole life and always enjoyed the spicier, oriental fragrances that honestly are not easy at all to wear here. Even a light application of many orientals is still TOO much to enjoy, for me. I sweat a lot, in hot weather, and some fragrances (many of the Serge Lutens line) just feel yucky and gross mixed with sweat...even though in cold/cool weather they smell fantastic. So, your question is a valid one and is one that has been discussed numerous times here on Basenotes. I would try doing an Advanced Search with the words 'summer' in the title and I'm sure you'll find numerous threads on this very same topic.

Since you do not have a link to your wardrobe (what you already own and wear and like) it's hard for me to know if my recommendations you've already smelled, or own, or maybe you hate them. But here it goes anyway:

Vetiver by Guerlain (the vintage Eau de Cologne is my favorite, although it's a bit harder to find than the Eau de Toilette)
    Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Personally, I do not think Rochas Man, Chergui, A*Men Pure Havane or Tonka Imperiale are what you're looking for - they all are too, too heavy for me to comfortably wear all year round.
    What's the projection and length of the vetivers?

Basenotes Institution

What's the projection and length of the vetivers?
    The Guerlain is very strong, in fact I advise to NOT over spray the Guerlain because the projection can be sickening and headache inducing. 2-3 sprays lasts ALL DAY.

The Tom Ford is much lighter, in both projection and longevity, but it does not have any tobacco (if that's a problem for you, avoid the Guerlain).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've always thought L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer is at its best in the heat of summer.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The average Florida heat and humidity is like here, where i live, on a nice, not-so-hot day, almost all year. I wear my entire wardrobe all year as well. The trick is moderating applications, and most under clothes to prevent cloying.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

I believe it is a scent.

You may want to try YSL Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd March 2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm down in Fort Myers which is about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than Tampa. There are only 2 gourmands I wear in the summer. One being Rochas Man and the other Lolita Lempicka. B*men isn't too bad but the sweat breaks it down into something strange. I've tried wearing M7 and Burberry London and those are definate no-no's.

In my case it's a man's scent.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I've always thought L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer is at its best in the heat of summer.
    You are absolutely right! Two sprays only, please.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Mike is speaking truth. Terre de Hermes is great in summer. Infusion d'Homme is on my want list.

I'm in FL as well, and if ya take a look at my wardrobe... I can tell ya, that I wear all of my stuff year round. Of course.. I'm not gonna wear John Varvatos on the hottest day in the Summer. But once you figure out your skins reaction to particular fragrance, you can mess with applications and figure out how to make the best of any fragrance.

Of course.. ya think Summer in FL, ya think citrus, tropical, blah blah.. all those common fragrance that reflect Curve or CK One, that none of us really wanna smell like. Wear what ya like, don't worry about matching citrus with Summer, or sweeter, dark fragrances with Winter. Yesterday it got up to 98 degrees at one point (said the thermometer in the truck) and I was wearing Versace The Dreamer. And it was projecting as it only can, as well. I wasn't expecting it to be so hot outside, but with my application of it -- one on the chest, one on the back of the neck, one on the hand (for self indulging, and a little extra projection). Anyhoo, it did quite well. The day before, I wore Burberry London. So ya.. it's just all about figuring out how to make it work for you.

I'm in the same boat. Native Floridian- hate aquatics ( well, rather dislike) love the spicy orientals. Here are some of my finds:
    A*MEN Sunessence Orage D'ete- mmm yummy
    Opium PH Eau D'ete and Poesie D'Chine
    Penhaligon's Elixir
    Ice*MEN
    New West (though technically aquatic, it's warmer than most and not at all soapy)
    Kenzo Tokyo
    Kenzo Air
    Kouros Tattoo
    Dune PH

Have fun!
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Maybe add A*MEN Pure Havane to that. It is a little softer and sweeter than Pure Malt and feels like it might wear nicely in the Summer in spite of the heavier base.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Maybe add A*MEN Pure Havane to that. It is a little softer and sweeter than Pure Malt and feels like it might wear nicely in the Summer in spite of the heavier base.
    hmmmm might have to choose between Terre D'Hermes or Pure Havane. I Smelled Hanae Mori... Disgust. I Smelled Rochas Man...... New Haarlem is the the King of Gourmonds..... But not for summer, I smelled Roadster by Cartier and I was actually liking that one.... But Terre D'Hermes MIGHT just edge out Havane. I gotta smell them side by side.

Hmm...maybe L'Anarchise by Caron? It's got a lot of what I'd call "foodie" spices, but it's not a gourmand. It's spicy, yet cool. Interesting stuff...might be worth a sample for you.

Bloomingdales and macy's at the Millenia Mall both had A*MEN Sunessence- You should really give that an afternoon try.

And yes, L'Anarchiste is VERY interesting stuff.