Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Cologne - Long Lasting?

Recently, I asked for suggestions on some great, classic eau de colognes, and have been enjoying the sampling!

So here is my question now. Are there any in this classic style that tend to have a little bit better tenacity than most. I realize that with this style, longevity is typically just not the case and not indicated.

So I know not to ask for hours and hours. Just looking for a really good one (does not have to be the best) that lasts a bit longer.

In this style, I currently own AdP Assoluta, Guerlain Imperiale (really short lived), Hermes EdV, and maybe one or two others.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Eau de Cologne - Long Lasting?

Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Also the Maison Francis Kurkdjian Eau de Colognes......Cologne Pour le Soir and Cologne Pour le Matin

I find that the Atelier line of Colognes Absolues are all pretty tenacious.

Penhaligon's Endymion
    lasts 6+ hours on my skin. It has a fresh citrusy opening, coffee heart note, and warm and complex base.

Unfortunately none of these listed are actual colognes--only fragrances in eau de cologne concentration. For something more in the style of a traditional citrus eau, I'd suggest Eau de Guerlain, Etiquette Bleue, or Pour le Jeune Homme.

i have some vintage guerlain vetiver edc that is nothing short of divine. the vetiver and sandalwood in that juice is just spectacular, and it hangs around for a while!

eric b

Basenotes Institution

All of the (discontinued) Institut Tres Bien colognes are extremely tenacious. Cologne A la Russe, especially.

IMO, so is Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain - if over applied.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Neroli Portofino and Eau De New York. Classic edc style scents with exceptional longevity and above average projection as well.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

you did not mention a price range... a cheap great longlasting one, even with development - tabac original edc.
    i also find eau de cartier lasting, despite other opinions.

hednic - I DO love the Atelier line, but don't find them quite as long lasting, given all the talk about high concentrations

NewHaarlem - I own and love Endymion, but don't really think of that as classic edc.

bokaba - I know you get where I am going. Good suggestions - I am damiliar with the MpG, but it doesn't rock my boat, and does not last long on my skin.

mikeperez23 - overapplication may be the way to go!

MrFragranceReview - been a while since I checked out that Bond - will have to revisit

mspa - open on price, thanks for suggestions

Comme des Garcons - Anbar from the cologne series behaves much more like an EDT. I easily get several hours with regular application.

Diptyque's L'Eau de Neroli EDC also seems to have good staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    hednic - I DO love the Atelier line, but don't find them quite as long lasting, given all the talk about high concentrations

NewHaarlem - I own and love Endymion, but don't really think of that as classic edc.

bokaba - I know you get where I am going. Good suggestions - I am damiliar with the MpG, but it doesn't rock my boat, and does not last long on my skin.

mikeperez23 - overapplication may be the way to go!

MrFragranceReview - been a while since I checked out that Bond - will have to revisit

mspa - open on price, thanks for suggestions
    Weird--Pour le Jeune Homme lasts all day on me but I have a sample of the vintage version, which may be heartier than the current form. It's too spicy/musky for me anyway. DR Harris's Traditional Cologne has good longevity though it's more of a sweeter orange. You could also give Czech & Speake Neroli a try--a straightforward floral neroli with a ylang/dirty base.

Amber and Lavender by Jo Malone lasts 4-5 hours on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    IMO, so is Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain - if over applied.
    Interesting, i'didn't know that Eau de Guerlain was available in edc. My bottle is in edt concentration!

I love R&G's Extra Vieille, and I get it to last by, well, using all the body products the day I wear it: bar soap, shower gel, body lotion, and edc spray.

I do get to live with it a full day this way.

Like Bokaba I get a full day's great wear out of MPG's Pour le Jeune Homme.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    i have some vintage guerlain vetiver edc that is nothing short of divine. the vetiver and sandalwood in that juice is just spectacular, and it hangs around for a while!

eric b
    I have Guerlain Vetiver EDC too. I once timed it. It lasted over 14 hours on my skin, albeit not that strongly. The weird thing was that it easily outlasted Guerlain Vetiver EDT in that same old style bottle.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Weird--Pour le Jeune Homme lasts all day on me but I have a sample of the vintage version, which may be heartier than the current form. It's too spicy/musky for me anyway. DR Harris's Traditional Cologne has good longevity though it's more of a sweeter orange. You could also give Czech & Speake Neroli a try--a straightforward floral neroli with a ylang/dirty base.
    The MPG Pour le Jeune Homme is one that I also would recommend as having not just better than average lasting time, but also a more complex development. It's not just citrus that starts out strong and simply fades off. There's a sandalwood and rosemary accord in the heart of the frag that just slays me. The spicy/musky stage bokaba points out warms up slowly and lasts into the drydown. Bokaba also is correct about the "vintage" version of this fragrance. I have bottles from about eight years ago and also a bottle from about eighteen months ago. The older versions are just more complete, intricate, soulful, etc. The newer version is all right. But that's being damned by faint praise.

Cologne Sologne by Patricia de Nicolai gets mixed reviews here as far as its longevity. On me, Cologne Sologne lasts quite a while. The top note, a heavenly and clean neroli, burns off in the expected brief timeframe, but then there's a long metamorphosis where the neroli turns up again right before everything fades away. Strange but true.

Also try Cologne Cedrat by PdN. Brightness (cedrat) and then smouldering twilight (patchouli and sandalwood).

Cologne Sologne is a good one. More of a neroli oriented cologne and heavily so. I don't find it has much more longevity than other colognes, but anyone should appreciate the high quality Tunisian neroli. I think Eau du Coq even has quite good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Also the Maison Francis Kurkdjian Eau de Colognes......Cologne Pour le Soir and Cologne Pour le Matin
    My experience is that you should overapply Matin to last about 3-4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I love R&G's Extra Vieille.

Like Bokaba I get a full day's great wear out of MPG's Pour le Jeune Homme.
    I like both, and yes, I get a full day out of MPG Pour Le Jeune....it's the longest lasting, classically composed/structured EDC, in strong EDT concentration. The two other "classically styled" EDC's I get good longevity out of are the original Acqua Di Parma Colonia, with it's very floral drydown, and Chanel Eau de Cologne, with it's very sour/synthetic drydown. Both of those last very well.

And the secret to making any citrus/EDC last for me is applying on fabric.

Long lasting "Eau de colognes" can be engineered now. The trick is to top load the structure with high quality naturals. Second step is to make a smooth and transient transition to the heart notes by linking the quality naturals with their equivalent quality synths ...to most the difference won't be noticeable. All this wizardry can then rest on a light but persistent base of woods/amber/herbs..."light" because you don't want their naturally aggressive characteristics to seep into the top notes.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

And the secret to making any citrus/EDC last for me is applying on fabric.
    This also helps, for sure.

Definitely check out Abercrombie and Fitch Woods. Very classic smelling and long lasting for an edc.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com