Code of Conduct

Default If you had my wardrobe and were going to cull, what would you get rid of?

I've gone a bit mad over recent weeks and, in order to rein myself in a little, I've decided to cull my wardrobe and restrict myself to 20 'full size' bottles.

So that I can keep within that limit, and to leave some room for a couple of proposed purchases, I've decided that 6 frags must go.

The selected 'victims' are -

Aramis JHL - I have concluded that it is a little too 'sharp', and would always pick Opium PH EdP in preference to this.

Chanel Alure Homme - Bought pre Basenotes days, wife had previously bought Homme Sport for me, I subsequently tried the two side by side and preferred the original. Now I can't think of an occasion when I'd reach for this in preference to something else in my wardrobe.

Chanel Bleu De Chanel - Bought 'blind' duty free on a holiday flight. Nice, but as with Allure I can't think of an occasion when I'd reach for this in preference to something else in my wardrobe.

YSL Body Kouros - Bought blind based on the lovin' it gets here. I think the benzoin disagrees with my skin/ nose.

Dior Farenheit - Exactly as per the Body Kouros.

Calvin Klein Obsession Night - I used to own this pre Basenotes days. I should have sniffed again before buying the replacement. 'Nuff said.

I think I spot a pattern/ lessons learned here...

[edit] from a couple of the replies I've got below, I think some people are reading that my wardrobe consists of the 6 frags above. I have 23 (please click on my 'wardrobe' icon), and the 6 above are the ones that I will be 'letting go' [/edit]
    Last edited by JohnTheBeginner; 22nd March 2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: If you had my wardrobe and were going to cull, what would you get rid of?

I'd get rid of Obsession, Bleu, and whichever you don't really like.

P.S. Mind posting a photo of your wardrobe on my thread? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...ragrances-Here

Default Re: If you had my wardrobe and were going to cull, what would you get rid of?

Im purging my wardrobe too.

I did one rule:

"Frags with less than 7 stars (rating + longevity) should go."

I already sell 4 and swap + 1.

And i need to get off of + 5 or 6 fragrances.

IMO let go of either of these.

Aramis JHL
    Calvin Klein Obsession Night

YSL Body Kouros
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Calvin Klein Obsession Night

...appear to be the ones you specifically don't like, as opposed to the others, which just don't have VIP status in your wardrobe. So, go with your nose and get rid of what you don't enjoy.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Aramis JHL

Sorry to say, the only fragrance I might keep would be Fahrenheit.

You might consider trading the bottles for some decants or samples from other Basenoters. I have done this in the past. It frees up space, lets you try some new things, and is a cheap way of widening your experience with new fragrances. None of those are going to bring too much $$, but might net you some interesting things to try...

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I believe you already know almost instinctively which frags you really want to keep and those that you can live without. However I found nothing I wouldn't keep that you have in your wardrobe
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Good question. From your wardrobe I would get rid of these:

Allure Homme
    Bleu de Chanel
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I'd get rid of Obsession, Bleu, and whichever you don't really like.

P.S. Mind posting a photo of your wardrobe on my thread? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...ragrances-Here
    Will do. It'll have to be at weekend when I'm back home and reunited with my Wardrobe. !!!

Bleu and Obsession Night.

I would get rid of:

Obsession Night (because it's vile)
    Cool Water (because you have GIT)
    JHL (because you have Opium EDP)
    Allure Homme (because it's boring)

I like Body Kouros, but if it disagrees with your nose, obviously that has to go too.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Sur la Plage

I personally would get rid of Allure Homme and Bleu de Chanel.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I guess the original post was originally a question, but has now been edited to be the end outcome.

I would keep:

Antaeus
    Bois du Portugal
    CdG 2 Man
    Cool Water
    Declaration
    Fahrenheit
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd March 2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I guess the original post was originally a question, but has now been edited to be the end outcome.
    My original post was ambiguous. The edit was to clear up the ambiguity (not altogether successfully, it seems...).

I had already decided to let those 6 of my full wardrobe of 23 go. I was just curious to see if others would have made the same decision.

It's been interesting seeing the views expressed so far.

Keep 'em coming, guys!
    Last edited by JohnTheBeginner; 22nd March 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: tyop

I think you made excellent choices, though I would keep Fahrenheit and axe Cool Water, personally.

The only thing I know I dislike in your wardrobe is Obsession Night.

You say several times,
    "Now I can't think of an occasion when I'd reach for this in preference to something else in my wardrobe."

I've got quite a few scents like that.

So what I do is put them in handy reach on top of my dressing table - braving all the elements and topnote destroying light rays. They are segregated from those I value more, which are safely protected inside drawers.

What I find is that scents that are handiest tend to get used more - especially when no reason or occasion for their use is comes to mind. Going grocery shopping? Obsession Night will do fine. Taking your car to a mechanic? Fahrenheit would be an excellent choice. Going to the dentist? Body Kouros will help keep your mind off the proceedings.

On the other hand, get rid of Allure, I don't understand why anyone (including my wife) likes it so much.
    Cheers,
    Renato

In addition to those I'd get rid of Terre, Declaration, 1881, Endymion, Douro and maybe even M7
    Smellin good

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If I had your wardrobe, I'd probably keep small sample decants for future reference but liquidate these:

Aramis JHL
    CdG 2 Man
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Bleu
    CK Obsession Night for Men
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Penhaligon's Endymion
    Penhaligon's Douro
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    YSL Body Kouros
    YSL M7

+1 Obsession Night.

John,
    I'd get rid of Body Kouros and Allure Homme for sure. Probably Obsession Night too, but Renato makes an excellent point about how it would be one of those good ones to have handy for no special role at all. But then, if something has to go I'd pitch Obsession Night. I like Fahrenheit and JHL so much I couldn't eliminate them from a 20 bottle collection. I'd also save Bleu de Chanel just to say I've got something that shows the latest.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If it was me, I'd be offloading all three Chanels; the Body Kouros, the Farenheit; the Cool Water, and the Cerruti.

Judging by your ratings, you might like to keep the Antaeus and ditch the Declaration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    If it was me, I'd be offloading all three Chanels; the Body Kouros, the Farenheit; the Cool Water, and the Cerruti.

Judging by your ratings, you might like to keep the Antaeus and ditch the Declaration.
    At the moment the Declaration is my wife's favourite on me...

No, I don't understand either...

Oh, hang on, way back 25+ years ago, before we met, she used to work on a fragrance counter and she frequently wore Kouros

don't get rid of the body kouros..