Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why so much 'non-love' for Chrome?

I took a look over in the reviews section at several colognes and Azzaro Chrome doesn't get many positive reviews.

It's been around since '96, seems to be in the top 20 in sales in the US, but yet there doesn't seem to be much (if any) love for Chrome.

Why is this?

TripleB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why so much 'non-love' for Chrome?

Ordinary, cheap and popular

Snobbery. To the general public it's a mega compliment getter.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Pretty much... but if you like it wear it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yup.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

+3 on that one.

If you want compliments it may be great. I think most BNers, though, prefer uniqueness, "artistry," or in my case at least, an olfactory experience that meets certain specifications that frags like Chrome can't meet due to financial restraints. Some of us, myself included, have developed a very sensitive sense of smell, and anything that comes across as even a little "synthetic" makes us feel ill. I seem to have a lot of problems with the aquatic chemicals used, and this is also true for some wood molecules that have become popular in "men's" frags in recent years. So, to some degree it's like asking people who have only driven in cars that cost $100K or more why they don't like they latest "econo-box"' that is well under $20K.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th September 2011 at 05:51 AM.

The argument that something must be "good" if it is popular is ridiculous.

If you like it, fine. Wear it. But fragrances are subjective.

Some people dislike anything popular.
    Some people judge a fragrance purely on smell.
    Some people want to wear something that gets compliments.
    Some people just wear what smells good to them.

Personally I dislike Chrome because I think it smells bad. It smells strongly of plastics and synthetics to me. I find it piercing and headache inducing.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly dislike metallic, sharp notes, and Chrome embodies them to perfection. Truth to be told, it is better than another very successful scent, Light blue for men.

cacui

Post Thanks / Like

There's just something about Chrome that screams "after gym scent", maybe it's because so many people use it in this fashion. I think that's partially what's devalued it in my mind, I never wear it in any situation other than going to the store for a few mins or running another sort of quick errand, it just seems the epitome of casual

IMO it's OK and I have it, but Azzaro I feel has made much better scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO it's OK and I have it, but Azzaro I feel has made much better scents.
    I don't think anyone familiar with their catalog could possibly argue otherwise

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Most base noters are snobby. Chrome is a great compliment getter. It's actually my most compliment getter, but it isn't my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on!

I have it, I use it, and I like it. Nothing complicated, just a nice, safe scent for hot weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap yes, popular not that quite, at least not where I'm from (le male, 1 million, joop ph, boss, armani rock in my area). Chrome is an attention getter, mostly. Cool Water too as these are not overworn where I'm from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Personally I dislike Chrome because I think it smells bad. It smells strongly of plastics and synthetics to me. I find it piercing and headache inducing.
    This.
    But there's also general "non-love" here for frags I really like and it doesn't prevent me to enjoy them as much as if I didn't read negative reviews.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    This.
    But there's also general "non-love" here for frags I really like and it doesn't prevent me to enjoy them as much as if I didn't read negative reviews.
    Indeed, everyone here is so "noblesse oblige" bwhahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 100ml bottles, one 30ml bottle and five 20ml travel bottles of Chrome.

I often wonder if the people who rubbish this fabulous scent have ever actually worn it.

I used to work as professional engineer. I appreciate a scent such as this which was made to keep one fresh and smelling good, no matter the circumstances. Others can appreciate artistry in scents, but I appreciate the functionality and utility of Chrome.

And I like it's linearity. What you spray on in the beginning is pretty much what is there many hours later.

Finally, metals don't smell of anything. What genius did it take to get a smell that says "Metal" into a bottle?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th September 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies...it's great hearing different opinions on the cologne and seeing why people either like it or loathe it.

Someone here posted a list of the 20 best selling colognes in the US and I think Chrome was #19 (Acqua Di Gio was number one)...so even though it is cheap and readily available, it's definitely not the cologne everybody wears.

TripleB

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it and I hated it for many of the reasons stated above, but in my case at least, it was not due to snobbery. I'm a big fan of three other Azzaros - Azzaro PH, Acteur, and especially Visit.

its boring. and personally, i have no desire to smell like every other 16 year old freshman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    Thanks for all your replies...it's great hearing different opinions on the cologne and seeing why people either like it or loathe it.

Someone here posted a list of the 20 best selling colognes in the US and I think Chrome was #19 (Acqua Di Gio was number one)...so even though it is cheap and readily available, it's definitely not the cologne everybody wears.

TripleB
    If you really like it, wear it. Screw what the collective thought on it is. I still like Issey, and it's in the same basic category.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Chrome go get it

People in here are elitist among scent sniffers and often too popular and boring scents get dissed because of that.

I honestly admit I like Cool Water and Eternity, but I know these are very boring synthetic cheap scents - but I don't care. Get the frag you like - forget the rest

With that said my Azzaro Top 2 is:

1. Azzaro PH
    2. Azzaro Acteur

YMMV
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

When I smell Chrome, it's just "Ugghh, there's Chrome". It's played out in my book. I hate smelling it. It's like Fierce, in that it's mega-popular, instantly identifiable, and stands out on its own more than blending with the wearer. It's piercing to my nose and just gets on my nerves. I will say it does smell clean and fresh, but so does dish soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by problem View Post
    Most base noters are snobby. Chrome is a great compliment getter. It's actually my most compliment getter, but it isn't my favorite.
    Wow...

I think that most EXPERIENCED basenoters are not unlike any other human being, they have preferences and dislikes. I prefer other genre's of fragrance (gourmand, floral) to Chrome's, and, I prefer fragrances within Chrome's genre (Millesime Imperial, Unforgivable, Aqua Di Gio, etc...) to Chrome. That is not to say Chrome is bad, I do not mind smelling it on someone else in passing (which happens quite often) however, most basenoters have the experience that tells them there is more, and better, out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my situation. I've gone through two bottles of Acqua Di Gio in a row...with a little CK Crave, Rue21 Black, and some left over Eternity thrown in throughout that time.

I would like something similar to Acqua Di Gio without it being Acqua Di Gio. Just enough of a change for me (and those around me) to know I'm wearing something new.

Would you say that Chrome would do a good job of 'fitting the bill'?

It seems I like it and Cool Water, and although most prefer Cool Water, I'm thinking that Chrome might be more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for all your help, patience, options, and insight.

TripleB

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my situation. I've gone through two bottles of Acqua Di Gio in a row...with a little CK Crave, Rue21 Black, and some left over Eternity thrown in throughout that time.

I would like something similar to Acqua Di Gio without it being Acqua Di Gio. Just enough of a change for me (and those around me) to know I'm wearing something new.

Would you say that Chrome would do a good job of 'fitting the bill'?

It seems I like it and Cool Water, and although most prefer Cool Water, I'm thinking that Chrome might be more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for all your help, patience, options, and insight.

TripleB
    My advice !

Try 2 of the best aquatics and skip Chrome:

Get either Boss Elements Aqua or Klein Eternity Aqua !!!
    Dump Chrome !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

TripleB
    Try aquatics like Halston Unbound, Jill Sander Pure Man, Paris Hilton Just Me or any of the summer versions of Eternity.
    However, none of them will last as long as Chrome on a hot sweaty day.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome is a good beginner's fragrance. It's the poster boy of generic.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    any of the summer versions of Eternity.
    However, none of them will last as long as Chrome on a hot sweaty day.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I really liked Eternity Summer but then when I started looking I noticed that they seem to come out with a new version of it every year. So it seems even if I liked the 2011 version I might not like the 2010 version.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked Eternity Summer but then when I started looking I noticed that they seem to come out with a new version of it every year. So it seems even if I liked the 2011 version I might not like the 2010 version.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB
    Yes, I know. While I've smelled most of them, I don't know which version I have.
    When it came out, many people here claimed Halston Unbound was a clone of Aqua di Gio, but I wasn't to fond of Aqua di Gio but have always been fond of Unbound.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's the poster boy of generic.
    If Chrome is the poster boy of generic, what other scent smells remotely like it?
    I find it instantly recognizeable, something I can't say for numerous other scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If Chrome is the poster boy of generic, what other scent smells remotely like it?
    I find it instantly recognizeable, something I can't say for numerous other scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Bijan Wicked smells quite a bit like it and it has a more pronounced pineapple note. It's just a generic smell in my opinion and something I could replace by going down to CVS and buying a bottle of Adidas something or other. It's not awful, but it's something I outgrew.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is the problem with availability too. If everyone could have the next Amouage or Tom Ford, they too will be ordinary and generic. There is nothing wrong with wearing something you like, or something easily available, just wear it and be happy! I have tried many of Azzaro fragrances and liked several. I have also tried several Amouage and liked them too. Save the the Chrome for some special moments when you like to smell like that, and use other things in between. Just remember that "marketing" of many fragrances (as well as any object of our desires) is done to either collect mass buying or prestigious buying. Some are worthy some are not. It seems to me that if your friends/acquaintances tell you they like it, then enjoy it! If you wear the 500 dollar fragrance and nobody likes it, then you make the decision. You might love it, then who cares??

Post Thanks / Like

I went back to a local Dillard's and was fortunate enough to have one of my former students there who was extremely helpful.

I told him that I was looking for something like Acqua Di Gio but didn't want to get ADG again. He suggested several frangrances: Armani Code Sport, Chanel Platinum, some other Armani fragrance (didn't like it at all), and Yves Saint Laurent L'homme. Of the four the Yves was probably my favorite. I put some on and wore it the rest of the night...my wife said it was pretty strong to begin with (now it's 4 hours later and I barely smell it). Nice smell but to me seems quite a bit different from Acqua Di Gio - at least in the 'after 30 minute' time period.

He did say a lot of what you have been telling me here. He said that just about everything made in the USA pails in comparison to frangrances from abroad. Said I should stay away from the Calvin Kleins, Davidoffs, Kenneth Coles, Azzaros, etc. Go with Chanel, Armani, Yves, etc.

The three fragrances I have at home are Cool Water, Yves, and Chrome. Wife likes Yves, kids (4 year old son, 14 year old daughter) like Chrome.

Thanks for all your help.

TripleB

Chrome is a very nice scent, easy to wear, and very safe..... When you smell this You know what it is instantly.....
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

If you really like it, wear it. Screw what the collective thought on it is. I still like Issey, and it's in the same basic category.
    Agreed. I still get a "craving" for stuff like Hugo, Polo Blue, CK One, and the like, and wear a lot of chemical bombs that are probably too "young" for me. Much like McDonald's...it's pedestrian stuff, but it's wildly popular for a reason and when you crave it, nothing else will do.

That said, I've never tried Chrome for some odd reason.

+1. Good marketing/ pushy SAs. And basenotes can always be linked to snobbery - and I don't mean that in a negative way. If you're getting into the intricacies of dozens or hundreds of great/unique fragrances I don't see anything wrong with calling some out on being boring or derivative.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire