Code of Conduct

Default Going to Paris - What is exclusive to Paris? Europe?

In October I am heading to Europe for the Amsterdam Dance Event and am planning three days in Paris to tour (and shop) the fragrance boutiques... Guerlain, Serge Lutens, Creed and Chanel are the top of my list (and I am brushing up on my French before I go.)

I am an engineer by trade and think logically 95% of the time (save the odd impulse buy.) I want to make a list of fragrances that are exclusive to Paris boutiques (and Europe) so I can test them before I go - so I will have a better handle and what I am looking to buy. Of course I know part of the experience is experimenting - so this wont be a hard and fast list - as I am sure some SA will pull out something magic to blow me away.

I work with a fabulous SA at the Las Vegas Guerlain boutique and so far the only think I have wanted they don't carry is Chamade Pour Homme and 180 Ans (but that is so rare I dont expect to ever see it.)

Comparing the European and US sites of Serge Lutens - I've come up with this list of frags that are exclusive to the Paris boutique (several of which I've ordered samples of from TPC):
    Bois et Musc
    Bois Oriental
    Boxeuses
    El Attarine
    Encens et Lavande
    Fourreau Noir
    Iris SIlver Mist
    La Myrrhe
    Mandarine Mandrain
    Miel de Bois
    Rahat Loukoum
    Rose de Nuit
    Sarrasins
    Tubereuse Criminelle
    Un Lys

As for Creed and Chanel - I have no idea what would be exclusive to Paris. Though I would dream of finding Egoiste Cologne Concentree somewhere <grin>

Also for those experienced with the Paris boutiques - how snooty are they? Are they going to look down on me as an American speaking horrible French? Would I do better to arrange appointments before I go?

And yes, I know this is six months away - I just believe in planning.. and I am a little bit nervous.

Default Re: Going to Paris - What is exclusive to Paris? Europe?

There are a few past threads on Paris shopping, you can certainly get additional ideas there, and others will chime in again. But you have the right starting point. To the SL exclusives, I'd add Bois de violette, technically not exclusive, but the export bottle costs a fortune. The boutique has the whole collection lined up on smelling strips, so you can smell the heart and drydown. The assistant was extremely kind, she even suggested that I go back the day after so that I could smell the development of the stuff on my skin (I doused myself with quite a few). Which assistant ever suggests that you go away without trying to close a sale?

In general, I've found the assistants always kind and helpful; the fancier the place, the kinder the assistant. Assistants obviously love people willing to part from their money.

Anyway, stuff I recommend are the Dyptique boutiques (they have the discontinued ones) and Patricia de Nicolai (so difficult to find here in the US), and Printemps plus Lafayette (they cover most niche between the two).

More importantly, as kcparis explained in a post, stores are usually closed on sundays, so beware. Only the Champs Elysees are open (including the main Guerlain boutique), but there are no niche boutiques on the Champs Elysees.

Oh, and by the way, why fatigue your nose with Creed in Paris? There's no exclusive nor any advantage in buying Creed in Paris, so save your nose and luggage space for SL & co.

cacio

bayrhum vetiver creed, they may have some vintage tabarome but not sure.

Although not 100% certain, I believe these are still exclusive to the Paris boutique. At least the last time I was there they were.

Montale Taj
    Montale Poires Sauvages
    Montale Santal de Mysore
    Montale Highness Musk
    Montale Highness Jasmine
    Montale Indian Safran
    Montale Pure Amber

Also for those experienced with the Paris boutiques - how snooty are they? Are they going to look down on me as an American speaking horrible French? Would I do better to arrange appointments before I go?
    In the Lutens palais royal house they are americans friendly

I would head straight to the Lutens Palace.

Sur la Plage

Go to JAR.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Go to IUNX and try their fragrances, they are really rare and they are sold only at the Paris boutique location.

Thanks so much for all the tips. Do you think I should try to set up appointments in advance - or just show up? I will be there on a Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday - so I wont have to worry about them being closed Sunday.

Be careful the monday, many shops are closed...

Just show up. Appointments are only if you have $50,000 or more to waste for a bespoke perfume.

cacio

Thanks for starting this thread djron! I have a similar situation, but my parents are going to Paris early fall. My mother knows all about my fragrance obsession, and is asking what I'd like them to pick up for me in Paris. So, I don't even get to visit first

Anyway, I figured I'd sample a few Paris-exclusive frags that I could find on Perfumed Court (or here?), so I'll be following this thread as well!

Vanille 44 by Le Labo. Exclusive to Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Hedonist beat me to it - have fun!

I leave this Sunday for the trip so I wanted to bump the thread and see if people have anything to add.

I've gone through all the SL non export and decided that Rahat Loukoum is one that I have to own. I also plan to sample the new non-export and Borneo 1834 which I keep missing.

For Guerlain - I am definitely going for Chamade Pour Homme (at least to sniff) and L'Abeille Paradis Interdit (my Guerlain SA told me to try it.. but at $20K a bottle - I dont see it happending.)

Chanel - I am planning to get the non-concentree version of Pour Monsieur and sniff Jersey just for the heck of it.

Le Labo - Vanille is a definite sample and I might finally pull the trigger on Rose.

Eldo - Wasnt previously a fan, but samples of Hotel Slut and Praise of a traitor entered my life through a sample box from Makeup alley and I plan to explore further.

I found a few fragrance travel routes from other message boards that I plan to try as well. Three days of fragrance shopping in Paris - can not wait. If you want to follow me - I will be texting to update my twitter (@djron91) and facebook (djron) - so you can read what i am doing.

Another question - what do y'all use to rub off fragrances you don't like while in tranist? Alcohol pads?

Also - I am a little wary to carry back all the frags in checked bag. I am taking a train from Paris to London (frags in carry on) and was planning to ship from London via a record label friend. Granted I might not be able to get the VAT refund but at least it will be insured for safe delivery. What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    Serge Lutens
    The boutique looks more like a vampire's cave, dark and some purple neon, quite spooky as matter os fact.
    I was forced to smell the fragrances from recycle and second hand blotters - really weird!! and I found the SA very snob and for the sake of the record, I do speak French;

for Creed
    The Creed boutique was pretty much a disappointment, fragrances were displayed laying down on top of a sort of back light, SA was friendly, but nothing special;

I have no idea what would be exclusive to Paris. Though I would dream of finding Egoiste Cologne Concentree somewhere <grin>
    It won't work, I visited their Boutique Rue Cambon 31 and they did not have Egoiste Cologne Concentree

for those experienced with the Paris boutiques - how snooty are they? Are they going to look down on me as an American speaking horrible French? Would I do better to arrange appointments before I go?
    Sorry to say, but yes sometimes they will, however I would like to mention that I was extremely well treated at Guerlain's Boutique Champs Elysee 68 and it was an experience to purchase Derby there the SA WAS extremely fantastic, helpful and down to earth.

Please see link below for more background info and tips:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...nture-in-Paris

The parfume departments at La Printemps and Galleries Lafayette are worth a visit.

Please go to Iunx. Its the only place to find full bottles of fragrances. (They have no online shop, wont deliver or take phone orders) My favourite is L'Ether. Dont let the name fool you. Sounds like something from EldO but its definitely not. Its a meditative scent mixed to perfection. Also, Splash Forte too. By the way DJ, the perfumer is Olivia Giacobetti. One of the best.
    Bon voyage
    Rex
    Last edited by trex57; 3rd October 2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Re: Iunx, which is excellent, if you've looked at the maps and itineraries, you'll notice that it is in near many other perfume places.
    Just a block east there's the crossing with rue de Castiglione (Guerlain, Patou), and Montale north across place vendome. If you continue east, you'll soon get close to Kurkdjian, Malle, and finally to Palais Royal with de nicolai, Rosine, and Serge Lutens. Talk about nose fatigue.

cacio

right. so I'm gonna call in sick for work on thursday and friday then.

Serge Lutens Bois de Violette.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I just got a message from Luckyscent, looks like they'll be stocking it, along with other city exclusives, for November only!

I really appreciate all the responses - IUNX sounds great as does the other stores. I am going to put together my map/plan on Thursday and post it here.

Re Labo - Its funny, I got the email from Le Labo and Luckyscent within 10 minutes of each other <grin>

Things are looking good by the way - the euro and the pound are going down compared to the dollar - extra incentive to splurge <grin>

"Also for those experienced with the Paris boutiques - how snooty are they? Are they going to look down on me as an American speaking horrible French? Would I do better to arrange appointments before I go?"

I have had wonderful experiences with SA's in Paris. And yes, my french is dismal.

Lutens Palais, the Guerlain Flagship..wow, I want to go back!

+1 for Iunx
    I guess the guy from Iunx is from uk cause he has a british accent...
    My advice is to test L'eau blanche on skin , my favorite Iunx in a pure Giacobetti style.

And there is Jovoy at 5min from Iunx.