Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sample pass & Reviews-Brecourt

Closed now - two are signed up

Well I guess it's my turn for a sample pass!

Brecourt Paris accidentally doubled my samples, then sent some more I didn't even order, so I'd like to share this wealth with 2 people...

I can send these to someone to try, who can hold on to them for a few weeks and then pass them on to someone else.

The scents are (in no particular order):
    Ambre Noir
    Eau Blanche
    Eau Libre
    L'Amoureuse
    Contre Pouvoir
    Avenue Montaigne
    Esprit Mondain
    Agaressence
    Eau Trouble
    Haram
    Mauvais Garcon

There is only one of each, but all are unused so I think enough for two to try.

Post a message if you'd like to try these - first two in will be the lucky ones to sample 'em.

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 25th March 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample pass-Brecourt

Me, please!

I'll keep track of impressions and post on this thread. Very nice of you to offer, Robin.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th March 2011 at 11:34 PM.

Great! Room for one more!

Please sign me up! I am accurate.

Thanks bunches.

Blog Entries

Twolf, I'll be shipping to you. I'll have to think of something else to tuck in.

Blog Entries

Yessssss! This is what I was hoping for. I was about to send you a PM about this, TW!

(disclaimer: I am not asking to split the samples, the reason I posted was just being happy that you got in)

Thanks, Warum. On the days that I work (hahahaha) I come home almost at 1 am London time (6 pm your time) -- remember one day I joined your January Sniff in progress?, so I barely caught this thread.

30Roses, you have sent me plenty already, do not have second thoughts, please?

Blog Entries

I almost jumped in and nominated you, but was not sure if it was presumptuous. I checked your wardrobe's test list and started crafting you a PM

Great! I will send to 30Roses this weekend, and she will pass them on to Twolf after she has a chance to check them all out. I am very happy to be able to share these with y'all and will be looking forward to reading your impressions.

Talking Re: Sample pass-Brecourt

Oh, AWESOME. I'm with Warum... you two sampling is like testing it myself. lol
    Looking forward to hearing about it.

Remember Baldufita was testing them all back in January?

So, my understanding is that the company itself is fairly new, they do not produce anything ground-breaking but they are all nice scents in their portfolio. According to the girls on MUA, the sample pack was available FREE of charge in the countries of EU, now it can be oredered from indiescents.com (11 fragrances x 1ml each = $40.00), and in case there are favorites one can order the whole 50 ml bottles for $48.00 each from the same source.

Meantime, I went to brecourt.fr site and did a personality profile test, they recommend me three: Agaressence (light aoud inspired by Dubai souk), Ambre Noir (sweet amber with sandalwood, resins and ciste labdanum) and L'Amoureuse (blackcurrant-rose top and musky-woody drydown). We will see how right they are.

I have samples, too, which I have already arranged to pass on to another member. Would love to share impressions here. Would you prefer to keep the group smaller (just those who actively participated in the sample pass)?
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I have samples, too, which I have already arranged to pass on to another member. Would love to share impressions here!
    Please do!

Twolf, I'm going to take that test too.

Edit: That was a quick test!
    I was recommended: Eau Blanche, Eau Trouble, and Ambre Noir
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 25th March 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks! Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Would you prefer to keep the group smaller (just those who actively participated in the sample pass)?
    The more impressions -- the better, I would think.

Bigger is better, please do send them and put your reviews here, that would be great! This is definitely not a closed thread or anything like that.

As for me, I really liked the Haram (but not sure I like it enough to Buy It), and the Avenue Montaigne (of which I bought FB for my sister). Do agree that none of the scents are groundbreaking, none are offensive or really spectacular I Have To Have This Right Now Right Now Right Now scents, but they are very lovely and not overpriced, well worth trying!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's reviews!

Robin, if you do not mind, I would suggest your changing the thread title to include the word "reviews" in it, so that it pops up in the search.

Default Re: Sample pass & Reviews-Brecourt

Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Meantime, I went to brecourt.fr site and did a personality profile test, they recommend me three: Agaressence (light aoud inspired by Dubai souk), Ambre Noir (sweet amber with sandalwood, resins and ciste labdanum) and L'Amoureuse (blackcurrant-rose top and musky-woody drydown). We will see how right they are.
    Cannot pass a personal olfactory profile test, so I did the same... and got the same results! Now, that sounds interesting, since we know that TWolf and I like some of the same perfumes, but also vary widely on some other ones... and even more interesting, since I know that 30 Roses and I like many of the same ones as well! but now I know which reviews to read with utmost attention, even though I do not plan to sample Brecourts any time soon.

I reviewed them all shortly in that Baldufita's thread. There are also some other opinions.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...-Br%C3%A9court

In my opinion, very much failed collection of fragrances.

I'm very new here. but when I saw the offer for free samples on another site I decided to give it a try. I haven't yet tested any of them, but I just have to say that the owner/perfumer, Emilie, was extremely helpful and generous. Apparently, paypal couldn't be used from the US in ordering samples from the site, so she sent me samples free of charge.

Unfortunately, she sent me the whole womens line when I was looking for the men's line. After a quick email, she apologized and is sending me the 4 mens samples. I was very surprised and touched by her kindness, so much that I'm hoping to really enjoy one so that I could have the pleasure of purchasing

Blog Entries

CT_Gem, welcome to Basenotes! It is a wonderful place. I remember the time when I was new, but I feel very much at home now and wish you the same!

Yes, there are some lines and some perfumers who are just like that - wonderful and generous, and they inspire you to make a purchase from them and stay loyal.

If you please allow me to offer some unsolicited advise, please be sure to try men's line as well since you ended up having the samples anyway. Fragrances and our perceptions of them cross gender lines all the time. There's several fragrances I tested through sample passes like this, and some my favorite ones turned out to be the ones marketed for men. I wouldn't have guessed that in a blind test because I'm a woman and they fitted ME just right! So of course I included them in my dangerously increasing wardrobe of decants and am wearing them.

Thank you for the welcome. Lol, I guess I really should take the time to fill out my profile completely like 30_Rose suggested. I am a man so I'll definitely be trying the men's line Luckily, with my sister and mother around frequently, I should be able to get a good sniff of the women's too. Have a great weekend!

Blog Entries

I meant to say "try both lines", Gosh, sometimes I make no sense at all because I am mistyping! My post will make much more sense if you read it with "try both lines, men's and women's".

Anyway, whichever ones you try, please post your impressions, it would be great to hear them!

Blog Entries

The samples have landed!

Will begin testing tomorrow when I am scent-free. Thanks, Robin-in-FL!

Blog Entries

This post is just to state the notes of the Brecourt samples as they are listed on the Brecourt website, for reference.

Feminine:
    http://www.brecourt.fr/nos-parfums.h...5bf1c49f67779b

Eau Blanche:

T: bergamot, lemon, mandarin
    H: jasmine, tea leaves, ginger
    B: cedarwood, musks

Eau Trouble:

T : tangerine, carrot, incense
    H: tea leaves, heliotrope, orange flower
    B : vetyver, orris, cedarwood, musks

Ambre Noir: (There was not a sample of this for me to test.)

T: bergamot, magnolia, myrrh
    H: sandalwood, orris, amber, cistus-labdanum
    B: amber, vanilla absolute, musks

Avenue Montaigne

T: freesia, raspberry, dewberry, grapefruit
    H: rose, jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, water lily
    B: patchouli, peach, musks

Agaressence:

T: saffron, rose bay, cassis, plum, oud
    H: tuberose, rose, ylang ylang
    B: oudh, gurjan, cipriol, jatamansi, Amyris sandalwood, civet

L'Amouereuse:

T: bergamot, lemon, tangerine, blackcurrant
    H: rose, jasmine, violet, raspberry
    B: peach, lily, musks

Harâm:

T: bergamot, cinammon, styrax
    H: date, cedarwood, leather, honey
    B: tonka bean, patchouly, labdanum, benzoin, musks

Masculine:
    http://www.brecourt.fr/nos-parfums-m...5bf1c49f67779b

Esprit Mondain: (there was not a sample if this for me to test.)

T : lemon, galbanum, black pepper
    H : lavender, tarragon, elemi, Cabernet-Sauvignon
    B : cedarwood, Ambroxan, myrrh, musks

Mauvais Garçon:

T : bergamot, cinnamon, elemi, nutmeg, basil
    H : lavender, artemisia, white flower
    B : sandalwood, cedarwood, patchouly, yonka bean, vanilla

Contre Pouvoir:

T : bergamot, grapefruit, cardamom
    H : wood of liquorice, mate, elemi
    B : vetyver, tobacco, melilot, Ambroxan

Eau Libre:

T : bergamot, grapefruit, pink peppercorn, pepper, rosemary
    H : mint, geranium, marine accord, transparent jasmine
    B : sandalwood, Ambroxan, musks
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 2nd April 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Blog Entries

This morning I tested the first of the Brecourt samples, Eau Blanche.

I applied it to my left arm (for close-up sniffing) and to my chest (to see how it behaves as I would normally wear it.) It gets into the clothing a bit this way as well.

Impressions:

On application, I immediately had a sense of mixed citrus notes similar to the opening of Fico di Amalfi, and a sense of clean laundry and fresh soap. It was quite pleasant.

25 minutes in, it was still soapy in a nice way, and I began to get the ginger and tea leaves. The ginger was subtle (for a really nice ginger, try Cartier Declaration Cologne edt). The scent was turning a bit warm/sultry.

35 minutes in, I was starting not to like it so much. Although not listed as a note, I got the impression of lavender. I usually like lavender but I didn't want it today, I guess.

40 minutes in, it was now just a skin scent on my arm, but on chest/clothing it was still wafting up and the tangerine was more isolated.

50 minutes in it smelled more masculine on me; I could have sworn there was a strong lavender. The ginger is a bit spicier and I smell light woods, but not cedar specifically. I liked it less at this point.

1 hr 10 minutes: it toned down, impression of lavender was gone!

1 hr 20 minutes: Scent has settled down a lot. Gone from arm; resides mostly in clothing. Tired of it; went to shower off and change.

Conclusion: A fresh/soapy clean smell that evolves a little but runs its course rather fast and then become tiresome. I did not get the jasmine at any point.

I will try the next one later in the day.

Blog Entries

I tested Eau Trouble next.

On application (same method as earlier) I found it somewhat sweet with a very light, appealing orangey note, and very slightly powdery. It smelled very innocent, suitable for a young girl or teen. I liked it right away but wished for more of an impact. It smelled like a light fruit juice, very transparent.

5 minutes in, the orange blossom became more noticeable but never developed any strong presence.
    10 minutes in, a hyacinth-like sweet note emerged. There was a bit of clash between the orange juice and the powder-- I wasn't sure where it was headed.
    20 minutes in, it was already a skin scent. It was *okay* but not particularly appealing.
    30 minutes in, it was gone. Within less than an hour, it was practically undetectable even on my clothing.

Conclusion: Best for a young girl-- or if you want a scent that has no more substance than a body spray. Be prepared to apply liberally and respray often.

[Thanks for the notes, 30R]
    T : tangerine, carrot, incense
    H: tea leaves, heliotrope, orange flower
    B : vetyver, orris, cedarwood, musks

Here are my Wrist Ramblings:
    People have been comparing this to Prada Infusion d'Iris --so I"m trying them together.

The tangerine top note is prominent in Eau trouble, and it sets it apart from Infusion d'Iris. But here is a moment a few minutes in when they both become iris-dominant, and I definitely get the connection.

The Eau trouble fruit notes wear off pretty quickly. The drydown is quite subtle and close to the skin. They make Infusion d'Iris seem downright loud. And it suddenly goes masculine next to Eau Trouble. There's much more cedar and vetiver coming through in the Prada. In comparison. Eau trouble is much more of a skin scent.

The tea and heliotrope sweeten (not *too* much--and it isn't almondy) and soften Eau trouble quite nicely. I love the light-handed use of heliotrope here.

It's very nice close to the skin. But I'm wondering if it has any sillage at all.

EDIT: As I fell asleep with this scent on my arm last night I thought of Eau d'Hiver.
    Eau Trouble and Eau D'Hiver share a vibe [not an official perfumery term. Cough.] Eau d'Hiver's heliotrope is sweeter. The tangerine, carrot, incense in Eau Trouble keep that sweetness in check and even sour it a bit.
    There is a lot of similarity in the two during the drydown. Eau d'Hiver is stronger, longer lasting, BTW.

In the interest of procrastination, cough, science, I compared Iris poudre.
    Not much similarity to me. On my skin it is all about the heliotrope blend.

All in all, Eau trouble is a good fragrance, at a good price.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 30th March 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Today i'm wearing Harâm. Still wearing it, though I applied it over 6 hours ago.

It comes on strong at first-- medicinal and pungent, yet also ambery, powdery. It is not gourmand despite the cinnamon and is a bit weird, yet interesting. I got the leather right off. The medicinal quality tones down within about 15 minutes and it become sweeter and more cinnamon-y. The sweetness is less noticeable and the scent as a whole tones down and feels more united as time goes on. The leather is a suede--smooth, nice. At no point have I felt like going to scrub it off, but for amber I still prefer Ambre Soie. I'm going to see this one through until it's gone, so no other scent today.

Conclusion: It would be considerably nicer without the early medicinal quality, but later on it's a pleasant spicy amber/leather perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Today i'm wearing Harâm. Still wearing it, though I applied it over 6 hours ago.

It comes on strong at first-- medicinal and pungent, yet also ambery, powdery. It is not gourmand despite the cinnamon and is a bit weird, yet interesting. I got the leather right off. The medicinal quality tones down within about 15 minutes and it become sweeter and more cinnamon-y. The sweetness is less noticeable and the scent as a whole tones down and feels more united as time goes on. The leather is a suede--smooth, nice. At no point have I felt like going to scrub it off, but for amber I still prefer Ambre Soie. I'm going to see this one through until it's gone, so no other scent today.

Conclusion: It would be considerably nicer without the early medicinal quality, but later on it's a pleasant spicy amber/leather perfume.

This one was my favorite of those I tried, not suprising as I do like spicier smells usually. I like the beginning, too, as a transient smell, but agree it gets better. What wearing it made me want to do is try it layered over the Horny Little Devil perfume oil from Smell Bent - it seems like the pepper and musk in there would compliment and ground the Haram and also make it last longer. Not sure if it would OD on cinnamon though!

Blog Entries

Eau Libre today.

Well, there is not much to say about this one. It's like a man's aquatic shower gel.; pleasant enough for a shower gel, but boring as as a fragrance because too familiar.
    I've had it on for an hour. It is linear; invigorating when applied, but tones down within an hour. Will apply another one later after showering.

Blog Entries

Today's post is about Mauvais Garçon ("bad boy").

I dabbed this on my hand and realized I would not be able to tolerate wearing more of it than that, so Mr. 30R put it on instead! So you will have the combined impressions of the two of us.

Me: Very sweet when applied. I felt as though I had smelled this before, maybe one of the Creeds-- but looking at the notes of all their fragrances, there is nothing with the same notes; the closest is Himalaya but it doesn't smell like that one. After about an hour, I could really smell the nutmeg. I did not enjoy wearing this-- was glad when it wore off.

Mr. 30R: "Starts out spicy and peppery" [I disagree about peppery] "It smells familiar but I can't place it. Wears close too the skin; you hardly know you have it on, and when it dries down it reminds me of bubblegum."

Not a big winner for us, I guess.
    5 down, 4 to go.

Blog Entries

5 down, 4 to go.
    I need no more words about the general impressions about the line. LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I need no more words about the general impressions about the line. LOL.
    Good one! And unfortunately true.

I asked politely for samples in my rusty high school French, and they came today. So I can post my impressions as well.

I dabbed a bit of Mauvais Garçon on my hand and my thought was, "the only way this one is mauvais is because he stole all the cookies."

Blog Entries

L'Amoureuse:

This was toothachingly sweet when applied. I started with a dab on my arm and could not apply it to chest-- it would give me a headache.
    At the start I get the lemon, raspberry, violet and peach.
    Fifteen minutes later, I picked up jasmine, lily and musks, but it was too sweet for me and I could not feel comfortable in it. I can see where someone else might like it, though. I had to go scrub it off.

My daughter liked it, but said it reminded her of something she'd smelled before. I agree that it is not original.

Conclusion:
    Not bad, just very sweet and not original.

Contre Pouvoir:

Bergamot right off, also the grapefruit and cardamom definitely all there. Very nice top notes.
    5 minutes later, the top notes die down dramatically, and the licorice kicks in. Maybe a touch of vetiver.
    To my nose, the story ends there.

Conclusion:
    Tells too short a story. This is actually my second time trying this and I still don't get any tobacco or amber.

I should be able to try the next two Monday /Tuesday and get it in the mail by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    "the only way this one is mauvais is because he stole all the cookies."

Good one. I remember a few years one BNer said about PG Une Crime Exotique something like "the crime was that someone stole all the sweets from the mall".

My reactions to l'Amoureuse were much like 30 Roses'
    Very sweet floral at first--not a sort of fragrance I turn to.
    The drydown is pretty enough, but nothing I seek out.

As for Contre pouvoir

It's funny, I am not one to adhere to male/female fragrance descriptions, but when I tested this one I couldn't get beyond the sense that I was wearing a cologne for men, that I smelled, in a generic way, like a guy in cologne. It just didn't work on me. I should have tried to think about he notes more. I've already sent my samples to another member, so I can't retest. Which is just fine. So many sample,s so little time.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 3rd April 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typing issues, as always

Blog Entries

Last two from this batch, Agaressence on the left arm and Avenue Montaigne on the right.

Agaressence:

Fruity and citrusy, candy-like. It's reminding me of Jontue from the late 70s/early 80s. I do not get the saffron or oud. Tuberose, yes. Not complicated, not bad, but also not interesting and waaay too sweet for me.

Avenue Montaigne:

Patchouli!!! On dabbing, powdery right away. Sweet, spicy, fruity, feminine. The gardenia is one of the nicer notes in this. The water lily is simultaneously intriguing and annoying me. Overall, this is not my cup of tea.

Well, that is it-- but I have requested samples of Ambre Noir and Esprit Mondain and will add reviews of those when they arrive.

I also ordered one of Harâm so Mr. 30R and I can test it some more. For me that was the clear winner of the lot, but I wish they would tone down the medicinal quality that is present for the first 15 minutes.

I will get these off to Twolf today.

Robin-in-FL, thanks so much for the chance to try these!

I like Contre Pouvoir quite a bit so I bought a bottle. I find Ambre Noir the best from their feminine frags.

Could you,30 Roses,tell me how did Avenue Montaigne last on you? I ask you this because when I got the samples I gave them to every woman from work to try.This happened around 13 pm and on the woman who tried AM the scent persisted till next day in the morning. She was quite surprised by that.(She even took a shower in the evening).

Blog Entries

Ciprian, I showered it off but it's still there! Definitely a persistent scent.

I mailed the samples to Twolf just a little while ago.

I have to admit that I kind of like the Mauvais Garcon, but then again I seem to like sweet smells quite a bit. I also enoyed Haram and Ambre Noir the most out of the rest and absolutely hated the Contre Pouvoir. I couldn't get it off my wrist fast enough. Unfortunately, I was still able to smell faintly on my wrist the next day even after a shower, a night out, and an application of another fragarence, haha.

Also, I was browsing threads on Brecourt on another board and was surprised to see quite a disconnect from the disappointed feelings expressed here. Rather the reviewers there seemed to be very excited and pleased with the scents. I don't really have an opinion or anything, I just found it kind of interesting to see such a sharp contrast.

Blog Entries

There are certainly mixed reviews on Fragrantica's thread. Twolf has yet to weigh in as well.

But, bottom line, these are only personal opinions.

But, bottom line, these are only personal opinions.
    Of course! I just found the difference interesting. I'm well aware that everyone has their own personal tastes and likes/dislikes, especially since I can definitely be very picky in some areas, haha. Forgive me, if I came off as anything other than curious...I stayed up way too late watching the UCONN game last night

Picked up the package with the samples from the PO today. Will start testing tonight.

Blog Entries

This afternoon's mail brought samples of Esprit Mondain and Ambre Noir. Will sample and post as well.

I emailed Brecourt and they sent me a full sample set. I will test them when I have time, and post my impressions on this thread.

Started with L'Amoureuse, as per personality profile suggestion. In two words, it is vulgar bubblegum. I was instantly reminded of my infamous experience of creating a bespoke fragrance with one of the very niche American noses back in 2002: when I described what I wanted, it was what I got -- artificial prunol on steroids. My friend Tinker424 told me then: "The worst fragrance I had ever smelled". Juicy -- check, rich -- check, cheap -- check-issimo. I cannot specify the fruit that was being used back then and now in L'Amoureuse, it is a combination of sparkling apples, riper than usual strawberries, perhaps passionfruit and an attempt to imitate boozey davana. I could not discern either raspberries (tangy-woody) or black currants (bitter-onerous). There are pines, there is rose and jasmine, but they are on the background giving way to all the other unpleasant and overpowering stuff. I thought I smelled a trace of patchouli and even moss at the beginning and expected the drydown of a fruity chypre for a milli-second, but it did not happen. I like it sweet and I -- o tempora, o mores! -- do not even hate it fruity, but not with this type of wood and fruit. Lasts for always and eternity, of course. Amazing though, how two independent sources recommend the same combination as based on my general likes and dislikes. **

The next fragrance I tried was Haram because it seems to be liked by a few people and which I find, in two words, is sticky buns. It is warm, cinnamony and spartan: there is nothing else in the house -- one morning bun is all you have got for a day and not every day. No butter, no coffee, just your ration, trying to pull a Karen Carpenter on a wearer. I have seen Haram likened to Hermessence Ambre Narguile (which has an added bonus of baked apples, butter and incense) and Escada Collection (more ambery-sweet with a variety of fruit), Haram is pale in comparison, but still leaves one with unclean fingers. I got slightly resinous and lightly woody-ambery drydown, but somehow they did not put any leather/suede in my vial. Longevity is about average, 6-7 hours. **

Contre Pouvoir was my next venture. I liked the beginning very much with tobacco, brandy and incense-laiden tea. It has a wonderful cedarwood note -- not your pickled cucumbers or hamster-cage, just plain pencil shavings that are very nice. In a blind sniff I would have probably said CDG variation based on their Incense Series wearable for both men and women. If it were to graduate into hay or spices or even vanilla, it would be very nice. Instead, I am getting vetiver -- dusty and stinky variety, not just rooty-green or smokey-brown, but a combination of both and not the best, at this. ***

I have also briefly sniffed Avenue Montaigne, but I need to wear it for a few more hours to form an opinion.
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th April 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Mauvais Garcon -- caramelized lavender. At first sniff I thought of a masculine scent by M.Roucel for Rochas. Not much going on in it -- an initial blast of lavender becomes warm and woody with sweet gourmand undertones. Very tenacious, I would enjoy it on a man. As of right now, reminds me of handsome and muscular sun-bleached youths surfing during the daytime and transforming into busboys at night. In multitude, the army of them. Not for me, but the composition is solid. ***

Agaressence -- another one recommended to me by the personality guide on the Brecourt website. Linalool prunol. Take 5 gallons of sparkling 7Up and add a cup of L'Amoureuse (enough to last until everything else dies), top it with a drop of aoud and you are set. Souk? Saffron and blackcurrant? Oh, mercy, mercy me, this is not I -- like that lady with cropped petticoats would say. Diluted version of the same cheap prunol -- either they have got tons of it because it was cheap, or they mistakenly think it is any good, I take their recommendation as a thinly veiled insult, in any scenario. *

Avenue Montaigne -- can't find a two-word descriptor, has been at it since 5 am this morning, searching. There is something about it: fruity-floral with prominent patchouli in the drydown. What people said -- "80s powerhouse" -- is not happening here. I would say it is very similar to MPG Fleurs des Comores (MPG is lighter and muskier though) and John Varvatos Women (this latter one has a wonderful apricot liquer note and more flowers). I can't detect any "animalic elegance" mentioned on indiescents, hard as I try. It is not bad, but for the price I'd stick with John Varvatos. ***

I have got three more left, all Eaus: Trouble, Blanche and Libre.

Eau Libre -- CK1 revisited. Very much in the vein of early 90's unisex colognes, cool and unremarkable. Citrusy, fruity, a tad salty, a bit spicy and thoroughly synthetic. Nothing to write home about. *

Eau Trouble -- happy paper iris. Seems like this one is the best of the 9 Brecourts that I have tried. The thing is that most iris fragrances lack that happy-go-lucky attitude trying too hard to be something else but iris. Hiris is carroty, TDC BdI is woody, SL ISM is powdery, Dior Homme is leathery, XerJoff 17/17 Irisss is yeasty, Prada IdI is musky and MPG FdI is green and musky. This one, not a soliflore, does a fantastic job representing coolness and nobility, sweetness and powdery-ness and it lasts quite well. I agree about the lack of projection, but once again -- on the clothes it would project enough for the wearer to appreciate it. I will be looking to purchase a decant of it.****

Eau Blanche -- sweaty freesia. Nothing old, nothing new, nothing borrowed, nothing true. What was this scent about? About nothing, was there a scent? Light gingery citrucy floral, indistinct and unmemorable. The grounding elements -- cedarwood of cheap variety and white musks -- are anchoring nothing, how easy is this? *

If someone would like to further test these nine, please post here or PM me your mailing address. There is enough left for one or two more testers.

While 9 Brecourt samples have found a new home -- with PerfumedLady -- I have received two more samples from 30R. So, PerfumedLady will receive all eleven of them after I am through. Testing them both today and rather dislike Ambre Noir and quite enjoy Esprit Mondain. Will review them later today.

Oh,wow!What fun!I've found the easiest way for me to learn about fragrance is to dive in and just immerse myself in a single house or a single note so this is perfect.Twolf,you were so kind to think of me-you have me very curious about Eau Trouble!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Esprit Mondain -- tipsy wood. Although targeted for men, this fragrance veers towards unisex with boozey berries and ambroxan. OK, to find an existing comparison I would say take ubiquitous CK Euphoria, strip it off its pomegranate and flowers and add it to even more ubiquitous DG Light Blue (very very light and oh! not so blue). While the citrus and fruit on top are juicy, they settle down to a slightly raspy cedarwood, quite pleasant and long-lasting, clean and cool. I have not detected any traces of incense -- myrrh is not that pronounced in Esprit Mondain, but there was something patchouli-like instead. The occasional spikes of aromatic herbs do not make Esprit Mondain heavy, instead they just add an interesting dimension. I personally will not seek for a decant, and -- as you have probably figured it out -- the fragrance is not totally ground-breaking, but I like it. The name (English "Society Spirit") is probably referring to how many offices and busses smelled some 5-7 years ago, in Europe. ***

Ambre Noir -- green musks on a budget. Here the set of notes is the most mis-leading of the whole pack -- just reading it would set one in the languorous lactonic mood of enveloping smokey amber with sweet gourmand dryout. I instantly remember what my Oma used to be saying before the age of instant teabags: "If you want your cuppa tasty, do not skimp on tea". To adjust it to the Brecourts, there is not much amber and nothing about it is "dark" or "black" in Ambre Noir. Musks, however, take center stage and become the leading component after about 15 minutes of wear. **
    Last edited by Twolf; 13th April 2011 at 02:18 PM.

I have all eleven Brecourts now,thanks to our lovely Twolf!I tried Avenue Montaigne as a blind grab today-a fairly sweet fruity floral with a heavy emphasis on the fruity.Very berry plummy on me.The white florals are nice in this;tuberose and gardenia don't often wear too smoothly on me but here they are well behaved.The very first thing I thought of on application was "1980's";that was before I looked it up on Indiescents and came back to read the posts on this one.I mean 80's in style,though;I agree it's no powerhouse.Overall,not quite my thing but I am rather impressed.

There will be plenty for another tester when I am done-please,if anyone is interested,speak up!

I couldn't miss out on the fun so I did the olfactive profile as well.I was recommended L'Amoureuse,Eau Trouble and Ambre Noir.Tried Ambre Noir-poorly done thin,musky amber,nothing "noir" about it.For this sort of thing,I'll stick with the higher quality and more artfully composed Eau Claire des Merveilles and Shalimar.

I've also sampled two of the men's scents,Mauvais Garcon(generic sugary gourmand,a headache-maker for me)and Esprit Mondain.Was immediately struck by EM's similarity to Paloma Picasso's Minotaure-had to steal a splash of Mr.PL's Minotaure EDT for comparison.Esprit Mondain becomes sweeter in the base,but the citrus and woods are strikingly similar.Since Minotaure is discontinued,I think I'll surprise the Mr. with this someday.Nothing terribly unique but a very enjoyable scent for the price.Glad to have found this one!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 19th April 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Eau Libre-Oh,yes,Twolf,CK1 to be sure.Except that Eau Libre has some sort of unwashed note I'm disliking-not animalic or skanky,just B.O. stinky.Save the money and buy the Calvin Klein;it's longevity and projection are better and IMO just smells nicer.

L'Amoureuse-pretty much the same thoughts here as 30 Roses and Nostalgie and I'm getting Twolf's bubblegum reference-a big chunk of pink Hubba-Bubba to be precise.Too sweet for me but it does evolve into a very pretty rosy violet musk.A nice one for the right gal;I would say a healthy sense of humor is a must for this one!Could be a really fun fragrance for those who love their sweets.

Robin,your packaging for mailing these samples was genius!I'm definitely stocking up on plastic eyeglass cases.Very clever idea!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 21st April 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Banned

I know I wasn't involved in the sample-swap around but I was recently passed sample of the entire line and I've sampled nearly all of them. This Brecourt represents what's wrong with modern "niche" - it's as though a couple investors said to themselves "hey niche perfume is hot right now, let's slap something together and market it as niche perfume!" Admittedly I still have 3-4 left to sample but the 6+ I've sniffed were generic, pre-fab, aromachemical messes. They've clearly purchased aromachemical accords from the firms that create these base-accords, they slapped a couple extra notes on top, and they're selling them as "niche perfumes". Someone (or several someones) should be embarrassed. No wonder Brecourt is desperately trying to get retailers and distributors to pick them up as a house....

Eau Blanche-not much to say on this one.Reminds me of Bath&Body Works Freesia(not sure they still make it).Very linear,very floral,very dull.

Haram-Twolf nailed it again,there is no leather of any kind in this vial!I like the cinnamon in the topnotes,though-just wish there were something going on to make it more interesting.

Contre Pouvoir-really like this!Very nicely done,dry,tea-like scent with a wonderful,long-lasting cardamom note.I did get the vetiver and agree with the "dusty" description,not smoky at all,though I didn't find it unpleasant.The tobacco note reads to my nose as dried tobacco leaves,reminiscent of hay.For me,a perfectly unisex scent and my favorite so far.Seems a (welcome)departure from this house's sugary signature style.

Two more to go!

And finally:
    Agaressence-Well,more syrupy,sugary fruit and flowers.Honestly,I think I just like my fragrances quite a bit drier than this house makes them.I did quite like the oud note but it disappears so quickly.Twenty minutes to a half hour in,I only get traces of oud;after an hour it's gone completely.Hardly warrants the "Agar" in it's name.

Eau Trouble-the best of the feminines as far as I'm concerned.Nostalgie has already described the notes and style perfectly well and I agree that it's a very good fragrance for the price.It's got a little more projection on me than some other testers were getting,it sounds.My only quibble is that I don't get much in the way of a drydown;the heart notes are long lasting on me but when they're gone,that's it.That's o.k.,though-nothing wrong with a bouquet of iris in my book!I don't know if I NEED this but I will happily finish the sample and keep thinking about it.There are far worse iris fragrances out there for much more money.
    I appreciate the opportunity to try these-thank you Robin for your generosity and to Twolf for thinking to include me!Overall,my thoughts on this house as a whole is simply that it needs time to grow and learn.Most of these fragrances are derivitive of other scents that came long before them,nothing original.I won't complain about the quality of ingredients as there is an awful lot of swill out there going for much higher prices than the Brecourts are.Yes,the more sugary scents did seem to be using some inexpensive components but there were others,like Contre Pouvoir and Eau Trouble that were well made.I believe this perfumer needs to find her own voice;she might really have something if she can do that while still offering such reasonable prices.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 27th April 2011 at 11:39 PM.