Code of Conduct

Thread: Aramis Havana

Default Aramis Havana

How many of you rate Havana as a 5-star fragrance? How prominent is the tobacco and leather accords? Discuss!

Default Re: Aramis Havana

Liked it before tried tabarome private collection by creed.
    I think 5 stars rating is not enough to make a valuation.
    I woul rate it 6 out of 10

Tobacco: definitely.

Leather: not really. The myrrh and patchouli are more dominant basenotes, I find.

Whether or not it deserves five stars is a matter of perspective, but as far as tobacco fragrances go it's up there.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Star ratings are strictly subjective. My 1 Star rating may be your 5 Star rating. There is no complete consensus on any frag. That said, Havana is a 5 Star fragrance to me. You have to give credit to Aramis (Estee Lauder) for bringing it back in an unaltered form, not to mention all the other great Aramis AND Estee Lauder frags.

About a year or so ago I posted on Basenotes my 2 hour experience comparing the reissue Havana with the original from Top Notes. through Basenotes. I found there was no real difference between the two that the age of the original wouldn't explain. Both were spectacular. Again, that was my opinion.

I find Havana to be a rich and rollicking mle of dried fruit, spices, rum and tobacco in a masterful blend. There is absolutely nothing like it except perhaps I find a kissing cousin in the amazing Montana Parfum d'Homme (Red Box), also reformulated and, as with the Havana reissue, it is virtually identical to the original.

Love it or hate it Havana will continue to turn heads on Basenotes' discussions and anytime someone wears it. It would be the one fragrance I would save if I could only save one from my wardrobe.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th March 2011 at 12:48 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I'd give it one star and that's being generous IMO.

definate 5 stars from me ..... great scent, sillage and longevity.
    My Current Top 5
    1. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    2. Mugler Cologne
    3. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Aramis Havana

I love it, but I prefer Havana Reserva...

I like the far drydown on it, when it gets a bit powdery and the notes are more balanced. The spices are handled well, which is rarely the case in a frag with strong spices. Overall I'd rate it very highly, especially considering that it's now selling reasonably again (I've only tried the new one). A slightly different take on this idea is Montana Parfum d'Homme, in the red box, which is stronger on the pine and green notes, and doesn't have tobacco. If you want stronger tobacco, you might prefer Kors' Michael for Men.

How does it compare to something like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme? Different beasts, but both tobacco dominated.

Bought it blind based on BN raves, and so far. . . I'm just not that into it. . . I keep trying, but last time I wore it I had to shower it off after about 20 minutes. It might grab me someday, but so far, it's just not working for me.

One thing you can try is to put some in a dab vial and then just dab tiny amounts, perhaps two to the chest and one to each wrist. That way, you get subtle wafts. Also, you can use a blow dryer to make it get to the drydown faster, which should help with this frag, being that it has a somewhat crude opening.

I don't think Havana nor D&GPH are "tobacco dominated." If you want that in a designer frag, try Kors' Michael for Men, or for more of a cherry/vanilla pipe tobacco, Bogart Pour Homme. One of my new favorite tobacco frags is Tobaco Latino, which has the best dry, "brown," leafy tobacco note among all these mentioned, IMO.

OK, I think Monday I'm gonna pick up a bottle of this and Davidoff Zino. Just out of morbid curiosity how did Luca Turin rate these two fragrances?
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 26th March 2011 at 04:29 AM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    How does it compare to something like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme? Different beasts, but both tobacco dominated.
    There is no comparison. Havana is a far richer, more complex, and challenging fragrance than D & G pour Homme. I enjoy the Aramis far, far more.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    There is no comparison. Havana is a far richer, more complex, and challenging fragrance than D & G pour Homme. I enjoy the Aramis far, far more.
    I absolutely agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Somehow this one is just not working for me. Montana Parfum d'Homme is certainly close, and I can certainly believe that Havana was influenced by it. As well, I find Lauder for Men to be similar in a way. These 3 just don't work for me, although I wish they did. I think I feel that Havana is just too herbal or green in a way that rubs me the wrong way. Its too bad, but I'll still give my sample another whirl.

For tobacco, I really feel that Burberry London for Men and Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba satisfy me much more. The SMN gets a bit too powdery, however.

...I forgot to mention, Ulirch Lang Anvers shares a common accord with Havana as well, so lovers of Havana may want to check it out.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Is there anything similar in the same price range which you'd recommend over it?

Absolute 5-star fragrance for me. One of my all-time favorites. Tobacco, spice and dried fruit. Personally, I don't get much resemblance between Havana and Montana. (Havana being the superior scent of the two, imo).

i just tested it yesterday... for sure 5 stars if not more out 5. This is amazing juice.

OK, I think Monday I'm gonna pick up a bottle of this and Davidoff Zino. Just out of morbid curiosity how did Luca Turin rate these two fragrances?
    Funny enough LT does not mention either one

Does anyone know how the relaunched stuff compares to the old?

5 stars no matter what note you are looking for.Use wisely or it will burn your nose with first whiff.

I think Havana was still discontinued when he wrote his latest book. Maybe he reviewed it in one of his older books.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I think Havana was still discontinued when he wrote his latest book. Maybe he reviewed it in one of his older books.
    You are correct. I was just thinking that as well. His last book may have been before Havana's release in 1995, however. I do think Turin mentions Zino, but doesn't do a review of it per se. It does seem he enjoys Zino Davidoff. There are quite a few mens fragrances that are not reviewed and I am sure Turin and Sanchez had their reasons.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

He said (in the original Guide book) that "Joe Blow" wasn't ready for these kinds of "big persona" men's frags, either in the Xeryus or Heritage review, IIRC. He also said that too much "radiance" in a men's frag is bad news, or something like that. And then there is the comment about men's and women's frags being different only in terms of top notes, though I think he is contradicting his own statement about radiance. Anyway, he can come here and clarify if he likes. The point I'll make is that these kinds of frags are special because they have more contrasting notes that similar women's frags, while not losing anything in terms of dynamism, balance, naturalness, etc. For some reason, LT doesn't mention the idea to apply such frags in a different way, with just one spray to the chest perhaps. Instead, he talks about women wearing them! I just don't get some of his ideas about frags, but I don't think he's ever made clear whether his reviews are about wearing frags for social reasons or personal enjoyment. In any case, both LT and TS lament how bad men's frags are while the reality is that there are plenty of great vintage ones selling for very little, and after the book was published, some were reissued without much if any change, such as is the case with Havana.

OK, just ordered a bottle of this juice. Looking forward to it!

OK, just ordered a bottle of this juice. Looking forward to it!
    Hiya, can I ask where you Ordered your bottle from?

Thanks!

Absolutely love this stuff. My new favorite not only because I think it smells great, but because I think it fits my personality. Also, it mixes well with my sweat when worn on the chest.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Good, but I prefer D&G Pour Homme though. I do get more "green" somehow in Havana, and I have the older one, not the reissue.

I hate reading threads like this....hahahahaha.....one of the reasons why I keep buying. =( I said Im not gonna blind buy anymore....but is this one worth it? hahaha....I have a decant of montana homme (red box) thanks MFJ and I like it.

Havana is astounding. 5 stars for sure.

It rotates with Fahrenheit depending on my mood as the number 2 in my collection, the King's general.