Code of Conduct

Default KL Homme is FANTASTIC!

I'm only a few hours into my first wearing but wow, this is one of the first scents in quite some time to really knock my socks off.

The opening is an intense rosewood mixed with a smooth and deep citrus and aldehyde combo. The geranium and some pepper make themselves known too and offer a bit of a prickly counterpoint to the warm and smooth citrus. Almost immediately a woody element becomes apparent - a cedar much like that present in Rochas Lui, Ungaro II, and many other orientals. Although there is civet listed in the notes it definitely does not register like the civet in say, Ungaro II - no, instead I get more of a slightly tarry, leathery castoreum note.

What sets this apart from so many others is not only the depth and smoothness - along with the interesting textural counterpoint - but the level of heat and warmth associated with it. Imagine a very masculine, warmer and drier take on Dune for Women.

A few hours later and a wonderful amber accord is dominant. It's more woody than sweet (but NOT a 'woody-amber' in the other sense) and slightly herbal thanks to the geranium, which gives it a quality not all that far removed from Ambre Sultan (although this amber accord is more orange in hue, warmer, and less opulent).

Smelling scents like Ungaro II and this make me realize how sad it is that nowadays we have to go niche and spend $150+ in hopes that we might find the jewel in the niche haystack and just maybe find something this excellent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: KL Homme is FANTASTIC!

I agree, but you have to be in the mood for this one. It's got so many things going on at once, such as the rosewood, the strong geranium, the animalic castoreum, the powdery sweetness, etc. This is something I don't get from the niche I have sampled, and so have focused on vintage for quite some time now.

I wish I could detect notes the way you do. I view KL Homme as an old style oriental - old style in that it's a stylish oriental scent that one can wear to work without giving the message "I want to party/ Hunt women" etc.

I have two bottles of it. My only problem with it is that on me it's only good for five or six hours.
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Glad you like KL Homme. Your review says it all about this frag. KLH is what lots of the bolder niche frags are trying to be today.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This is the heaviest, most complex fragrance in my wardrobe, and I love it for it. But, like Bigsly said, I have to be in the mood for it as it is quite demanding on my nose

As it descends deeper into the base I am picking up a wonderful cinnamon note. The geranium and other herbal elements have faded and now it's mostly cinnamon over woods and a dry but luscious amber accord.

It does seem like longevity may not be the greatest as it is fading down to "quiet" already after only 3-4 hours of wear, but imo that will likely increase the versatility of this fragrance. For instance, in the heat it would wear off even faster, and that just might make it so that this could be pulled off with a light hand in summer temps.

Sillage has been comfortable but moderate throughout the development so far.

It's been a while since I've worn Obsession for Men and I'm not familiar with the old formula, but I'd definitely say there is some resemblance between the two. My mind keeps going back to Dune for women though. Here, the florals are less pronounced (much less jasmine, for instance), and the woods and warmth are dialed up. Despite the differences though, I feel they evoke a similar mood.

If anyone knows a reliable place to pick some of this up, or has some they want to sell.. talk to me!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I'd love it if someone could compare Karl Lagerfeld classic to this. It seems they may share some structure in common, and a fair number of notes, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'd love it if someone could compare Karl Lagerfeld classic to this. It seems they may share some structure in common, and a fair number of notes, too.

KL Homme is basically (vintage) Classic with opoponax dialled back and castoreum added in spades.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Lagerfelds Classic, Photo and KL Homme - i just cant be without them.

why was it cancelled

It's a really good scent - the only one worth of his having IMO.

KL Homme is a great scent. Thoughts of it take me back to a magical time in my life, when the future was wide open both with promise and with fear. I was in my first two years of college and so much unknown lay before me. KL Homme represented a step up into a more sophisticated, modern, adult world. I remember my bottle sitting on my dresser during the summer back at my parents' house between semesters. A very "in-between" time in life. I was 19, and it was about 9 months after I had broken up with my high school sweetheart. Much loneliness, much searching and very much a feeling of being forced to move forward through uncertainty. God saw me through a lot of changes.

Funny how cologne can stir such memories.

Great , great perfume ..very hard to fond now
    But " Sex Appeal" from Jovan has many similarities with KL homme

Hey, SoS, nice presentation, I will try to sniff KL-H sometime soon.

By the way, I finally ordered the Al Andalus Amouage Attar blind and I will report on it soon if you're still interested. (-:

Not as complex, but with strong geranium and a vanillic drydown that's not simple (like so many new ones) is Listen for Men by Herb Alpert.

Basenotes Institution

I used to wear this MANY years ago.

As Bigsly said, you really have to be in the mood for this, as I found it stifling and heavy at certain times. I have not smelled it in years, next time I see a tester I'll revisit it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It doesn't surprise me that someone who appreciates Ungaro II and Rochas Lui enjoys KL Homme. I do certainly see a strong resemblance in the 3. Obviously, they are all different in a way as well.

KL Homme is a fragrance I can find easily, but I'm gonna have to pass on a full bottle. I like that it is an 80s style oriental ( puts Obsession for Men to shame, at least in its current form). I just strongly prefer other orientals better. As well, I just cannot seem be in the mood for KL Homme. Its a well made scent, but I don't think it is for me. Which is odd, because I like the aldeydes ( for effect) and rosewood ( for smell). Sometimes I find it hard to wear. Who knows, maybe one day me and my sample will click.

Of the 3, Rochas Lui has the best radiance and longevity. Ungaro II is the most interesting, but the longevity is below par. But if you find the fragrance compelling, you'll want a full bottle. KL Homme, like the OP mentioned, doesn't last the best either ( but a heckuva lot better than the Ungaro).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !