Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fahrenheit by Christian Dior Review

Ok, I received my 3.4 oz bottle of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior today from fragrancenet. Initial blast...very alcohol, but after the alcohol evaporated...I got that gasoline petroleum scent that everyone is talking about... something that I have never smelled before...smells very different from when I sprayed it on a paper strip at Sephora. I have it on for about an hr now and it's starting to dry down. The petroleum scent is still there, but it's starting to back off. So far, it's a very different scent. I find it very addictive, and very bizarre... initial grade... I'm giving this one a 9/10... very smooth and different... I like it...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Fahrenheit by Christian Dior Review

It is quite wonderful, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It is quite wonderful, isn't it?
    Yes it is...the weird part about this one is I can't figure what it smells like besides the gasoline petroleum scent...there's really much more to it, but I can't describe it... very very very odd!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Glad you like it c1, it's a great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Glad you like it c1, it's a great fragrance.
    I like it because it's very different from anything that i have in my collection... next time I go out with jeans and t-shirt this is what I'm grabbing for...Fahrenheit by Christian Dior...and this was a blind buy....
    Last edited by change1; 26th March 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Sur la Plage

IMO it used to be a quite fantastic fragrance - the current version is sadly not.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th March 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's still fantastic IMO and strangely addictive

It's not fair to be reviewing fragrance after 1 hour of wear, especially Fahrenheit that changes a lot during its lifetime . Anyway I agree that it is unique and nice but I prefer first hours over drydown.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    IMO it used to be a quite fantastic fragrance - the current version is sadly not.
    I need to find a bottle of the original formula and do a comparison, but from what I know now this is still an awesome designer fragrance.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a pretty good one. But I find that it's a little too synthetic for my taste. However, the big advantage with Fahrenheit is how different it is.

I like the new formulation more then the versions before.The gasoline basenotes are tempered down and the drydown is softer and much nicer then the old stuff.I used the original,from the first time it came on the market,and bought a few bottles more after that,and the most recent version is still great enough for me to use with pleasure,even during the summertime.The world changed a lot,in a bad way,Fahrenheit changed just a bit,in a good way!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Yes it is...the weird part about this one is I can't figure what it smells like besides the gasoline petroleum scent...there's really much more to it, but I can't describe it... very very very odd!
    There's a lot of florals in Fahrenheit, especially violet. After years of loving and wearing Fahrenheit I don't even get that 'fuel' note - it smells like the floral constituents. The modern version isn't as deep, sharp, or mossy but it's definitely Fahrenheit. Try to find one that comes in a blue/red box, not all red or red/black.

Love this stuff. But it does change a LOT. To my nose, it ends up being quite a green fragrance. If this were more versatile, I'd pretty much wear it all the time!
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

I wore this fragrance today... 2 spray on each side of my neck... 1 on the chest, and 1 on the back of the neck... went out to the mall today and I was in line at Starbucks in the mall for a cup of coffee... a pretty hot cougar was right behind me.. she was getting very close to me... sniffing me like i'm her prey... I think the cougar is digging this one... I'm at home now and it's been about 7 hrs now, and it still going strong... very nice and different... I'm so glad I bought this one... a good blind buy I have to say... my grade for this one after a full wear is still a 9/10... awesome fragrance...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I fell for the "Red and Blue box is SO much better" theory about 4 months ago and bought a bottle off of Ebay for too much money. I sprayed the new bottle on one wrist and the old bottle on the other and after 5 seconds they smelled identical! My wife could not smell the difference, I could not smell the difference, and the silage was the same. I promptly sold the bottle and felt confident in the fact I wouldn't have to chase down the "Red and Blue" box on Ebay for the rest my life. The old versions and new versions are basically identical.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    The gasoline basenotes are tempered down
    That is the worst part of the reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    There's a lot of florals in Fahrenheit, especially violet. After years of loving and wearing Fahrenheit I don't even get that 'fuel' note - it smells like the floral constituents. The modern version isn't as deep, sharp, or mossy but it's definitely Fahrenheit. Try to find one that comes in a blue/red box, not all red or red/black.
    I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
    The old versions and new versions are basically identical.
    I absolutely disagree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I fell for the "Red and Blue box is SO much better" theory about 4 months ago and bought a bottle off of Ebay for too much money. I sprayed the new bottle on one wrist and the old bottle on the other and after 5 seconds they smelled identical! My wife could not smell the difference, I could not smell the difference, and the silage was the same. I promptly sold the bottle and felt confident in the fact I wouldn't have to chase down the "Red and Blue" box on Ebay for the rest my life. The old versions and new versions are basically identical.

Good to hear...I have not smelled the old version, but based on what you just said, I think it's all in many Fahrenheit fans mind? My mind is playing tricks on me.... lol
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Sur la Plage

Good to hear...I have not smelled the old version, but based on what you just said, I think it's all in many Fahrenheit fans mind? My mind is playing tricks on me.... lol
    Or people just trying to convince themselves that there is no difference.

Same ingredients, but I think they heat it up in the microwave now instead of cooking it on the stove like they used to.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Same ingredients, but I think they heat it up in the microwave now instead of cooking it on the stove like they used to.
    good point, but i think its more like Coca Cola...they used to use pure cane sugar in Coca Cola, but it got too expensive, so they substitute it with high fructose corn syrup... taste somewhat the same, but not quite... you can still get Coca Cola with pure cane sugar made in Mexico...I saw it today at Costco...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I need to find a bottle of the original formula and do a comparison, but from what I know now this is still an awesome designer fragrance.
    + 1

good point, but i think its more like Coca Cola...they used to use pure cane sugar in Coca Cola, but it got too expensive, so they substitute it with high fructose corn syrup... taste somewhat the same, but not quite... you can still get Coca Cola with pure cane sugar made in Mexico...I saw it today at Costco...
    Can you really distinguish one from another?

Quote Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
    Can you really distinguish one from another?
    Yes, you can....taste better than high fructose corn syrup Coca Cola, but also will cost you more $$$$...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I wish Dior would follow Luca Turin's advice and offer the original formula with a sticker that says DO NOT SPRAY ON SKIN, lol.

I think I'll try to find the old version on ebay and compare. Fahrenheit is worth the effort.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I wish Dior would follow Luca Turin's advice and offer the original formula with a sticker that says DO NOT SPRAY ON SKIN, lol.

I think I'll try to find the old version on ebay and compare. Fahrenheit is worth the effort.
    Keep in mind, Mr. Turin is the same guy who gives Kouros 5 stars. I agree with his rating of Kouros. But I'd be interested to know if he's tried the original formula . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Keep in mind, Mr. Turin is the same guy who gives Kouros 5 stars. I agree with his rating of Kouros. But I'd be interested to know if he's tried the original formula . . .
    LOL

If I remember correctly he was more concerned about Mitsouko than about Fahrenheit when he made this suggestion.

Of course this will never ever happen but it's a nice idea.

Banned

LOL

If I remember correctly he was more concerned about Mitsouko than about Fahrenheit when he made this suggestion.

Of course this will never ever happen but it's a nice idea.
    As much as I love Fahrenheit I could possibly agree more that Mitsouko deserves far more ink, it being one of the towering giants of perfumery.

Regarding the old v. new Fahrenheit (blue/red v. red/black boxes) there are most definitely noticeable differences between the versions. True if you're a casual perfume fan or if you're not very familiar with Fahrenheit these differences may not make so much of a difference, but everything from the musk to the sharpness of the violet leaf to the depth of the mossy base is deeper and more potent in the older formula. It's possible that an older bottle may have faded a little, thus resembling the modern formula more closely then it ordinarily would have.

Instead of overpaying for a vintage bottle from a seller who knows they have vintage Fahrenheit I recommend either waiting until you find a seller who lists one not knowing the difference (which is what I did and I scored a 200ml vintage, still sealed in box for under $80) OR trying to find NOS in mom & pops stores. A couple years ago I was traveling for business in Oklahoma and went into a small-town grocery store to pick up lunch. They had a little perfume cabinet in the cosmetics/beauty supplies aisle and there were several 50ml bottles of vintage Fahrenheit that had probably been sitting there for 20 years. They were all 50% off ($25/each) so I bought the last three.

anyone have this intensive formula with violet/oil that nineXseven talked about...? please pm me if you would like to sell me a bit or a bottle.. thank you so much

There is a noticeable difference. The older/vintage version has a dirtier, darker, and richer Petroleum note, as well as a heavier, more legitimate leather on the dry down and base. Very sexy and addicting. The current version is somewhat more floral, soapy, and fresher. I consider the original to be a PG-13 version of the original, its been tamed and censored for the public.

smeller

The old versions and new versions are basically identical.
    I suppose you're joking. The difference is abysmal.