Code of Conduct

Default Parfums de Nicolai: Vie de Chateau

I understand that this is a green scent with leather.

I would appreciate comments about this scent and its longevity as this is described not an EDT but an eau fraiche. There is also an "eau intense" version.

The notes sound wonderful: fern, cut grass, oak moss, vetiver, tobacco, patchouli, grapefruit, leather, musk, hay.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31311
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th March 2011 at 03:09 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai: Vie de Chateau

It's longevity is fine on me.

Basenotes Plus

Gorgeous herbaceous leathery chypre that lasts 2 hours on my skin, with modest projection. Lasts probably twice as long on fabric. No idea how the 'intense' version fares though.

hednic and Diamond, thank you for the kind feedback.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's a very nice fragrance and a bit unusual. The longevity is not that impressive though -- 2-3 hours.
    I haven't tried the intense version though. But it seems the regular version has now been discontinued, so soon you may only be able to find the intense version (which is almost double the price). Hopefully for that price they improved the longevity; some PdN have very good longevity, like Temps d'une Fête.

This is one of my favorites -- I think the best from this house. I get hay and leather. I don't have a problem with longevity. I get five to six hours out of it under my clothes. It's excellent. I haven't tried the intense version but I'd be curious to hear how it compares. I've heard it's very similar with better longevity.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

This seems like this is one of those "your mileage may vary" scents.

Some get longevity while others do not.

I have a bottle of the regular version, bought about 2 years ago. Normal sillage and longevity. I don't find it an eau fraiche in either strength or style, although that's what the PdN house classifies it as. I was surprised at the thread of sweetness running through Vie de Chateau. I don't mean foody or floral, but something that smells sun-warmed and weathered - maybe it's an aspect of the hay note I'm picking up. I think of Vie de Chateau as being autumnal, but it could also be grand in dry, hot weather.

This is a very enjoyable scent in the eau fraiche. Lasted longer than I thought.

Not as much leather as I had hoped, though.

Basenotes Institution

This is a chypre? I don't see the bergamot or labdanum in the list of notes?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Contrary to other reviewers, I have ONLY tried the INTENSE version (it's a recent purchase) and it is absolutely GORGEOUS.

It starts undeniably floral, though somewhat green in its blast, perhaps earning the feminine vibe. Within minutes, however it becomes an impeccably blended montage of things both feminine and masculine, and would clearly suit anyone who loves to smell divine.

When the flowers calm, The honeyed hay of Chergui with an orange-veering citrus is at the heart, joining the dry bouquet of wildflowers and green freshness. Later, warm leather in the base... and the element that I most love and nobody seems to be talking about - SMOKE! It takes a deep inhale from my arm... and suddenly... at the end of this long and ever-changing draw of orgasmic fragrance, there is a warm ash that is neither sweet tobacco smoke nor dry incense; it's far more like the embers of a camp fire and goes perfectly with the "country life" vibe. Or did I not fully lose the Sycomore I wore yesterday.? I'll go out on a limb here and say that there's a common thread with Amouage's TRIBUTE ATTAR here - a bitter orange & smoke accord that lasts.

Longevity is not weak. I'm at 4 hours and still absolutely engrossed by the spell of this enchanting fragrance ... though I suppose I should let it ride before declaring this as long-lasting. Hopefully the "intense" treatment has managed to remedy a noted complaint with the original release.

All I can say is... I'm in love. This may nudge ahead of New York for me.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 30th April 2011 at 09:38 AM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Contrary to other reviewers, I have ONLY tried the INTENSE version (it's a recent purchase) and it is absolutely GORGEOUS.

It starts undeniably floral, though somewhat green in its blast, perhaps earning the feminine vibe. Within minutes, however it becomes an impeccably blended montage of things both feminine and masculine, and would clearly suit anyone who loves to smell divine.

When the flowers calm, The honeyed hey of Chergui with an orange-veering citrus is at the heart, joining the dry bouquet of wildflowers and green freshness. Later, warm leather in the base... and the element that I most love and nobody seems to be talking about - SMOKE! It takes a deep inhale from my arm... and suddenly... at the end of this long and ever-changing draw of orgasmic fragrance, there is a warm ash that is neither sweet tobacco smoke nor dry incense; it's far more like the embers of a camp fire and goes perfectly with the "country life" vibe. Or did I not fully lose the Sycomore I wore yesterday.? I'll go out on a limb here and say that there's a common thread with Amouage's TRIBUTE ATTAR here - a bitter orange & smoke accord that lasts.

Longevity is not weak. I'm at 4 hours and still absolutely engrossed by the spell of this enchanting fragrance ... though I suppose I should let it ride before declaring this as long-lasting. Hopefully the "intense" treatment has managed to remedy a noted complaint with the original release.

All I can say is... I'm in love. This may nudge ahead of New York for me.
    Sounds like they have tweaked it quite a bit for the new intense version. But it sounds great.

I used up my eau fraiche and then tried the intense, which is an eau de parfum.

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

I agree, this is a fantastic chypre! The SA even told me, they reformulated it a couple of years ago and now it is even mossier. Maybe due to the sharper treemoss?