Code of Conduct

Default Any Masculine almond scents out there?

I love marzipan, and was wondering if there were any frags which had a noticeable almond note, but not overly sweet. Essentially Masculine Almond.

Default Any Masculine almond scents out there?

I love marzipan, and was wondering if there were any frags which had a noticeable almond note, but not overly sweet. Essentially Masculine Almond.

Default Re: Any Masculine almond scents out there?

Heliotrope by Etro
    Dan Tes Bras by Frederic Malle
    Body Kouros by YSL (has that marzipan smell)

Potassium cyanide...

I was joking!!!!

Off-Scenter

Unfortunately, that almond or "marzipan" note often comes in part from heliotropin, and most heliotropin-rich scents are quite sweet. (Including the Etro and Body Kouros.) My personal favorite for almondy heliotrope is Jaïpur Homme EdP, but it's very sweet and powdery.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Unfortunately, that almond or "marzipan" note often comes in part from heliotropin, and most heliotropin-rich scents are quite sweet. (Including the Etro and Body Kouros.) My personal favorite for almondy heliotrope is Jaïpur Homme EdP, but it's very sweet and powdery.
    I agree with Off-Scenter on Jaipur Homme...it's sweet and powdery, but to my nose superb. I am a big fan of almond scents, having used Caswell & Massey's Almond/Cold Cream soap for years on a daily basis.

Also love his avatar...I had a gorgeous female Akita, and that reminds me of her every time I read his ever-intelligent and -articulate posts here.

Etro's Heliotrope = my love it or hate it frag. If I wear it say on a wrong "not-for-this-Etro" kind of day, it gets sickly, sticky sweet. In my experience, ok for cooler (whether crisp or wet) weather.

Blog Entries

More unisex than true masculine, but Acqua di Parma's Mandorlo di Sicilia has a nice almond note.

Antico Caruso from Profumum is also worth a look.

This has a nice retro feel to me, quite straight up soft almond in a conservative, almost "Euro barbershop" cologne way.

L'Eau de l'Hiver from Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle is a more impressionistic scent that doesn't get a lot of press but has become a personal favourite - it's quite unusual, involves heliotropin I believe.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th January 2011 at 02:12 AM.

Serge Lutens Louve (doughy almond) and Dior Escale Portofino (bitter almond) are two fine examples - Portofino the more masculine of the two.
    -

DeepSilence

I think you can't find any fragrance with almond scent. Sweet Almont oil uses as the Carrier. It's scentless.

Edit: Haha. you have found one of them before. i didn't see that. but really i think fragrance with Almond scent is rare

Yeah Louve is one that can be worn by men, IMO. It's a very basic cherry and almond accord. The cherry smells painfully synthetic.
    It lasts quite well.

Profumum - Antico Caruso (Citrus, almond, sandalwood) is pretty good, although maybe a little sweet.

Dior Cologne Blanche
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Looks like you double posted, so I'll double reply: Dior Cologne Blanche
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I've recently been reading the reviews of Joop Nightflight, and many of them mention Almond. But I have no personal experience of this because the only place I have found that sells it has no tester bottle.

L'artisan parfumeur - Jour de fête

It has been temporarily resuscitate for the end of year partys.

As soon as it's recognizable as marzipan, it's going to be sweet, sweet, sweet. There's certainly a few almonds/heliotropes that have more tolerable sweetness levels though:
    Profumum Antico Caruso
    Dior Cologne Blanche or Bois d'Argent
    Jaïpur Homme
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I've recently been reading the reviews of Joop Nightflight, and many of them mention Almond. But I have no personal experience of this because the only place I have found that sells it has no tester bottle.
    No almonds in Nightflight. Nightflight is a fresh fougeré like Cool Water.

+1 on the Acqua di Parma suggestions.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I smell an elephant in the room: Guerlain's Tonka Impériale. Is it because people find it feminine? It's a wonderful combination of tonka, rosemary, honey and gingerbread. Yes, it *is* a bit on the sweet side (but since when sweet = feminine?) but it definitely stays away from the more almondy and pale heliotropic floral references such as Après l'Ondée and l'Heure Bleue.

L'eau D'hive
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale.

Acqua di Parma - Mandorlo di Sicilia

Body Kouros is the one that came to my mind as well. (although it is sweet, which you didn't want). But most fragrances with a prominent tonka note, like BK, kind of have an almond smell to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    I smell an elephant in the room: Guerlain's Tonka Impériale. Is it because people find it feminine? It's a wonderful combination of tonka, rosemary, honey and gingerbread. Yes, it *is* a bit on the sweet side (but since when sweet = feminine?) but it definitely stays away from the more almondy and pale heliotropic floral references such as Après l'Ondée and l'Heure Bleue.
    I don't find TI too feminine. You are looking for a fragrance that is based around a less than masculine note. So I vote for Tonka Imperiale.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Dior Cologne Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    L'Eau de l'Hiver from Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle is a more impressionistic scent that doesn't get a lot of press but has become a personal favourite - it's quite unusual, involves heliotropin I believe.
    I'll second L'Eau d'Hiver. I love this scent. I can't quite figure it out, aside from a nice impression of almond paste. It's definitely more complicated, but the other notes are sort of hiding in plain sight, if that makes any sense. (No? I know.) It's kind of anti-fragrance but I find myself strongly attracted to it some days.

Hypnotic Poison by Dior. It's marketed to women, but men tend to wear it a lot. It's truly not a feminine scent. I personally don't find it overly sweet, but you will have to decide for yourself if it fits the bill.

Tonka imperiale from guerlain
    Dans tes bras from Frederic Malle editions
    Louve from serge lutens
    Musc from mona di orio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Dior Cologne Blanche
    Would like to have this someday if i able to find one. This is totally my kind of scent along with L'eau d'Hiver. Not to mention, it was done by Francis Kurkdjian which is an a plus to me. Just sent an email to Dior, hope they will bring it back. fingers crossed apple sauce

hednic's always teasing us with things we can't have.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Would like to have this someday if i able to find one. This is totally my kind of scent along with L'eau d'Hiver. Not to mention, it was done by Francis Kurkdjian which is an a plus to me. Just sent an email to Dior, hope they will bring it back. fingers crossed apple sauce