Code of Conduct

Default Dislike the Opening, Love the Drydown!

I think it is probably more common to be be sucked in by a great opening, only to find that the heart or basenotes head off in a direction that we may find unappealing. And that is precisely why sampling, and try before you buy makes a lot of sense.

But my wife came home from the dept. store, and she smelled great - I immediately identified the scent as a wonderful teas based frag. She said she tried Bulgari's Eau Parfumee au the Blanc. So I went to said dept. store, chatted it up, received a small decant, and also spritzed myself. YUCK! What the heck? Can't be, I thought. I checked the bottle again - but that's what it was, alright. Smelled medicinal and totally unpleasant! Forget that.

But then, driving home, maybe 15 minutes later, there it was. Beautiful white tea! I just love it, and think it's one of my favorite tea scents (reminds me of a Westin Hotel Lobby), but I really don't think I can buy it because of the nasty opening.

This is not really about this scent specifically, but has something like this happened to you? And did you buy the bottle despite the horrid opening notes?

Default Re: Dislike the Opening, Love the Drydown!

Caron Pour un Homme. The opening is a bit challenging for me, but love the drydown.

I love the dry down of Eau Lente, but the first 1/2 hour has this horribly metallic cinnamon note that makes it smell like a cheap potpourri.

SL Ambre Sultan - the opening is just OK, controversial even, but the drydown is a big rave by almost all accounts I've read. That's my experience, too. It gets really, really good about two hours into it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Green Irish Tweed. The opening is a spiky green synthetic bleh. The drydown is pure heaven.

For me, Kouros, Musc Ravageur, and for some reason, Noir de Noir.

Kouros
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

silver mountain water has one of the worst openings I've smelled, but after it calms down, it's so fresh.

Versace Dreamer fits the bill....gets better as it goes along.

Edges by Panouge has a somewhat strange opening but evolves into something very pleasant.

Musc Ravaguer comes to mind, discordant mess of an opening.

Boi Du Portugal has a horrid overwhelming lavender opening that really slaps you in the face. But the smokey woody drydown is great.

+1 Bois du Portugal and Musc Ravageur

For me, Azzaro pour Homme
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Is it just me but I prefer the top and heart notes. Not because it smells better but because this is when sillage is optimum.

Nobody has said M7 yet.

So I will.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Is it just me but I prefer the top and heart notes. Not because it smells better but because this is when sillage is optimum.
    ditto

Cuir Ottoman

Auod lime, the opening is not bad but the drydown is one of the best.

Cmax...

Actually "lovely topnotes" is a marketing trick conceived by people designing mass market appeal fragrances. You walk into a perfume store, somebody sprays you something new, you have to decide then and there whether you will give it a chance so it has to have a lovely opening, full of familiar and comforting notes.

In reality some notes in high concentrations are off-putting but if you don't use them in high concentrations they will get lost in the mid to base progression. The list of fragrances with strange openings is endless. Many Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier fragrances have something that smells like cheese. Cumming smells like used socks in the opening. The huge ugly note at the beginning leaves a trail that adds depth to the base.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Periodically, a reviewer will say that the top notes of a recommended frag had to be endured. Ironic, if true, because it's those top notes that are commonly seen as an invitation to the rest of the perfume. Similarly, I've read that frags sold in stores pay special attention to them because many (most?) buyers make purchases based on those notes alone. A difficult opening makes it tough for me to wear a fragrance. In my wardrobe there is but one: Comme des Garcons Jaisalmer. I'm not fond of balsam nor sweetness in scent and Jaisalmer launches with both.

DeepSilence

Aramis New West
    Fleur Du Male
    Zino

Versace Dreamer

Ungaro III

Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Chanel Allure
    The opening is really strong. I was actually disapointed at first. The base notes smell like heaven.
    Every time I wear this I can't wait for the base notes to appear.
    Kouros
    When you spray it on it smells really good for like 1 minute. It feels like something classic, old even for the 80's. It has a lot of incense, which I really like. After that minute come the infamous top notes. I don't like civet. After many many hours the base notes appear. This is the best part of the scent. It transforms from something bold into something seemingly out of heaven.

Chanel Bois Des Iles.
    I didn't like the aldehydes opening the first few tries. But thank god: now I love it.
    The drydown was awesome all the time though...

Hugh Parsons Traditional Blue-- the opening is citrus and starch; the drydown is out of this world.

Serge Noire (clove over-load)
    Heritage (lemon powder)
    Last edited by morrison74; 28th March 2011 at 12:30 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour le Soir is another one. Sharp, jumbled incense skank fest upon the initial blast. Dry down is heavenly. Honey rose, jasmine with the incense toned down.

FCUK Him. Smells like pure bugspray or something when you first apply it. Literally. The drydown is actually fairly pleasant. I wouldn't say I love it but one of the most drastic changes from intolerable to good of anything I've used. I wouldn't run out and buy any unless you're curious to try it yourself but I found it rather amazing.

Chanel Égoïste concentrée

Some really sharp note overwhelms me at first, but after 30 minutes, it keeps evolving in ever more perfect ways.

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Sometimes I am not in the mood for that much civet.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Bulgari Black , the drydown is awesome but I can´t hardly stand the opening with the "high" rubber note
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour le Soir is another one. Sharp, jumbled incense skank fest upon the initial blast. Dry down is heavenly. Honey rose, jasmine with the incense toned down.
    I agree
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Mouchoir de Monsieur's first ten minutes or so is a bit challening, but I agree with Kevin, Eau Lente is the best example of such scent. About half an hour of really harsh note, which mellows to one of the greatest drydowns ever.

Tabac Original, Knize Ten, Creed REL, Guerlain Vetiver, Santos de Cartier, Versace l'Homme, Azzaro PH, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Aramis Classic and even Aramis Tuscany, Opium PH by YSL, Esencia Loewe and other venerable male classics belong, to me, in this category- once I let the drydown settle, the result is divine, not matter how I might have been put off by the initial blast

Dzing!

It goes on with that eyebrow-raising 'horse stable' note, and while not totally off-putting, it can make me a bit self-conscious.
    After a while, it's a perfectly serviceable sweet leather.