Code of Conduct

Unhappy Gasp - Crabtree & Evelyn's Lavender Water is discontinued

I never thought this would happen, but it so often does. A great scent gets discontinued. For me, Crabtree & Evelyn is a marvelous, dry-herbal lavender. No muss, no fuss, no sweetness. A simple and satisfying soliflore.
    It has been discontinued. C&E has just launched a Lavender EDT (rather than "water") which has added notes of violet, tonka bean and musk. This will replace their Lavender Water.
    For those who like the previous version -- stock up. And welcome to the new regime.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Gasp - Crabtree & Evelyn's Lavender Water is discontinued

Thanks for pointing it out. I may pick one up.

Basenotes Institution

Nooooooo ! Ody - I know you love this one too . Nooooooo! I can't believe it. I love the entire lavender range .
    It's despair !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    "...welcome to the new regime.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (With regimes, "broke" is bizspeak for "minor incremental drop in sales.")

Is it still physically in the stores or is it being mopped up quickly?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

what;s the new name of the lavender frag? might try it. never saw the original lavender water being sold here though i may have thought it was a ladies frag but really i can't remember.. i've only seen the sienna, nomad, sandalwood, type scents..
    A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (19051996)

Blog Entries

The new lavender is called simply Lavender. I have a sample; it is fairly straightforward, but light and soft. I think there may be a bit of musk in it. Maybe a bit of citrus also (sniffing it on my hand just now.)

I'd say this is unisex, though you might not guess it from the packaging.

Also, as to the availabilty of the older Lavender Water, I was in a gift shop 10 days ago and saw 4 bottles on the shelf. I doubt the shop owner even knew they were discontinued. But the older ones are not in the regular C&E stores any more, just their outlets.

edit: I caught the tiniest bit of what I thought was vanilla at the end; I suppose that was the tonka. It was not prominent though.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th April 2011 at 04:19 PM.

Aww...I'm sorry. I don't think I've ever tried C&E's lavender. I enjoy my bottle of Yardley's. It is nice to wear to bed on a summer evening - cooling and relaxing. It might be sweeter than you'd like, Ody, with coumarin in it.

Blog Entries

lilybelle, what did you think of their new Lily (of the valley)? Have you tried it? (I just dabbed on a sample of that one too.)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    lilybelle, what did you think of their new Lily (of the valley)? Have you tried it? (I just dabbed on a sample of that one too.)
    I have not tried it. Is it nice?

Blog Entries

It's...well, I think the version they had two versions ago, in the 1990s was more to my taste, even though it was not as realistic. This one has other notes...maybe a bit of lemon, and a bit aquatic/water lily. I'm sure many will find it quite wearable, and it's definitely recognizable as LOTV, but I won't be buying it.

The old lavender scent was called "Lavender Water."
    The new scent is called "Lavender" and is listed as an EdT with the following notes: lavender, violet, tonka bean, and musk.
    The old scent had a vital, dry, herbal, very true-to-type impression of lavender. It simply was an excellent soliflore. :-(
    I bought two bottles of old stock from my store... I'm now set for life.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

^much thanks for the info ody and 30r!
    A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (19051996)

It is not marketed in my country but I could get by chance a Crabtree & Evelyn Freesia...and I felt in love right !!!
    since freesia is one of my favourite flowers & its scent...
    it is the best I could find, the more realistic freesia in abottle. I tried to find another backup bottle and all I got was a :discontinued fragrance.

So, in addition of your 'Lavanda Water' discontinuation reported maybe it means so far that Crabtree & Evelyn are changing their fragrance catalogue...

The new Lavender sounds interesting to me, I was so disappointed that AG and L'Occitane discontinued their Lavender scents in the US which had vanilla or tonka notes. I bought C&E Lavender Water for my stepfather, it is a wonderful fragrance on its own.