Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Tribute Attar is an amped up version of Chanel Antaeus (100 x) + tobacco

I have Amouage Tribute Attar on today, and I didn't even use a drop, and wow! it's is very potent just like Hommage Attar. Wearing it today, it kept reminding me of a fragrance that I know. It finally clicked to me that it smells similar to Chanel Antaeus but just amped up like 100X stronger. I think if you like Chanel Antaeus this one is for you. It also have a very strong natural tobacco smell. Here are the notes comparison between Tribute and Antaeus.

Amouage Tribute Attar Notes
    Rose Taifi, Jasmine, Saffron, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Tobacco, Leather, Patchouli, Vetiver

Chanel Antaues
    Top Notes: Clary Sage, Myrtle
    Middle Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood
    Base Notes: Labdanum, Beeswax Absolute
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Amouage Tribute Attar is an amped up version of Chanel Antaeus (100 x) + tobacco

I'm sorry I do not see it at all they are very different. Tribute has a very smoky Frankincense at the start and drys down to a great tobacco and leather accord. Antaeus is a different beast altogether though the sense of smell can be very subjective based on personal association.

Default Re: Amouage Tribute Attar is an amped up version of Chanel Antaeus (100 x) + tobacco

I, too, get a certain oud-vibe from the first part of Antaeus, but more in feel that in actual smell. The drydowns though seem different to me, Antaeus has some dirty musky tobacco (similar to other butch masculine of the era).

cacio

Sur la Plage

I don't see the similarity with Antaeus. But Tribute is quite wonderful - it's like kissing Ryan Reynolds.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I, too, get a certain oud-vibe from the first part of Antaeus, but more in feel that in actual smell. The drydowns though seem different to me, Antaeus has some dirty musky tobacco (similar to other butch masculine of the era).

cacio

I agree, Tribute Attar has an 80's powerhouse scent 100x more powerful because of the concentrated oil.....I have a few reformulated 80's powerhouse like Antaeus, Calvin Klein (Dark Blue Bottle), and Aramis....and this one reminds me of those fragrances...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Tribute is the only Amouage that makes concessions to the tradition of Anteus. There is a relationship between them. Anteus, however, stinks to high heaven lol Tribute isn't that bad really!

If you want to compare Antaeus and Tribute side by side. You need to sniff the antaeus first before the tribute, because the Tribute will numb your sense of smell and you can't smell anything else for a while.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Interesting - I love Tribute, and dislike Antaeus - nothing similar to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Interesting - I love Tribute, and dislike Antaeus - nothing similar to my nose.
    I just compared it side by side earlier...and there are some similarity notes to my nose...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

There's a soft but un Amouagelike bitter accord in Tribute from start to finish. Isn't this the same element cranked up to nose splitting levels in the drydown of Anteus, eclipsing anything else, if there is in fact anything else at that point. This accord is in countless men's fragrances, or at least the legion of from which I tend to run screaming. I think it's present in Chergui where it works beautifully and I recently got a sample of the John Stephens fougere, "Oberon" which dries down to it, as in Anteus, but at a quiet level. The little blurb on Oberon speaks of the essence of fougere as being the marriage of lavender and oakmoss which smells like neither of its constituent parents. Of course Anteus doesn't have those notes lsited if we described the odors in terms of aromachemicals maybe we'd get a more meaningful comparison and a more assured notion of what we're talking about as the similarity, the notes list's aim being if anything to obfuscate the truth and to mystify the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I just compared it side by side earlier...and there are some similarity notes to my nose...
    And ur nose might need further developments =]
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    And ur nose might need further developments =]
    You can't look at the big picture...take a step back and you have to filter out the notes...Antaeus is there...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't see the similarity with Antaeus. But Tribute is quite wonderful - it's like kissing Ryan Reynolds.

(giggle). I think it's more like kissing Jason Statham, but hey let's agree to disagree. OK? LOL.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th March 2011 at 07:44 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

On topic: Um, no I don't agree. I have worn both of these more several times and I don't smell the similarities.

I will agree that Tribute is incredibly strong. I usually take a pin sized drop on my chest and that tiny amount scents me just fine all day. I wore some last week, when I was walking around the streets of the East Village in New York, and the scent is just amazing. If I may copy the Turin/Sanchez two-word description classification, I would call Tribute 'Luxurious Skank'.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    On topic: Um, no I don't agree. I have worn both of these more several times and I don't smell the similarities.

I will agree that Tribute is incredibly strong. I usually take a pin sized drop on my chest and that tiny amount scents me just fine all day. I wore some last week, when I was walking around the streets of the East Village in New York, and the scent is just amazing. If I may copy the Turin/Sanchez two-word description classification, I would call Tribute 'Luxurious Skank'.
    I should try you method to apply Tribute next time. I put it on my neck and back of neck, and it was cloying. Also, I put a drop and not a pin size drop...I'll try the pin size next time on the chest...Smells great, but right in your face is just too strong for me...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I'm an Homage man myself.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    You can't look at the big picture...take a step back and you have to filter out the notes...Antaeus is there...
    Having smelled both carefully, the picture im looking at cant get bigger.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by fumes4ever View Post
    I'm an Homage man myself.
    I think homage is better than tribute by far
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I don't think they smell alike... Love Tribute

Love the smell of Tribute. Get a hell of a lot more satisfaction from Antaeus (original formulation). Went through 12mls of Tribute in no time. I'd have to have at least three times as much in order to buy it again.

They're both rich dry woods/chypre cuir type fragrances. They don't smell all that similar but various combinations of florals, leather and woods, whatever, can be interpreted in all kinds of ways.

I know we are content to let this die. However, I thought the same thing the other day wearing Tribute. Like a marriage between vintage Antaeus and Oud Cuir d'Arabie.
    Last edited by whynno; 15th December 2012 at 05:13 AM.