Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that defy description or comparison....

Most fragrances have similar notes or can be categorized or compared to other fragrances....have you ever owned/own something that defies description or comparison? A few for me follow...and I will give it my best shot...they are listed in order of most unusual.....

1. Hand Scent- came in a small bottle with a cork stopper and a red candle wax seal on the top of the cork...inside was a mix of herbs and spices like a potpourri with a white powder which collected at the bottom of the bottle....you shook the bottle and dumped a little of the powder into your hand, rubbed together and applied to your face...A lovely spice heaven surrounded you with GREAT longevity that lasted and lasted...NOTHING has ever smelled like it to me..the best comparison I can muster would be to compare it Claire Burke's original home fragrance but with a very masculine edge....

2. Atien- bought this @ Nordstrom's and I believe they were the exclusive carrier for it in the U.S....it is a floral lavender based scent...absolutely beautiful and unlike anything else...

3. Hoja- cologne for Men - from Belize...for me it could be compared to JHL with a herbal green note added...the bottle is interesting....rectangular and plain it has a raw wood cap with the word Hoja burnt into the cap and a large leaf (I believe from a tree in Belize) inside the bottle...I purchased it @ a Earth Day festival a number of years ago, supposedly it is made with renewable resources...whatever in the world of fragrance THAT entails.....EVERY time I wear this, some woman asks me "What is that fragrance you are wearing?"

4. Tailoring for Men/ Clinique- think of the BEST old school barbershop fragrance with a herbal/powder drydown that on me lasted and lasted...again it ALWAYS invites comments when I wear it...

The last three I'm down to my last 1 oz. to 2 oz....and then NO more.....the first is unattainable... #'s 2 and 4 are sometimes available on Ebay...but rarely.....I really wish Clinique would re-release Tailoring....maybe on a limited release basis...

Does anyone else have some to add to the list?
    Last edited by TWB; 28th March 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: Fragrances that defy description or comparison....

Formidable - never found anything like it so far.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Perhaps it doesn't defy description, but so far in my scent travels it defies comparison: Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland. The smell of a thatched, peat-smoked cottage lost in a mountainous field of wet grass and clover, brushed by the salty air of the Irish sea. Nothing else out there has tried that, at least not that I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Perhaps it doesn't defy description, but so far in my scent travels it defies comparison: Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland. The smell of a thatched, peat-smoked cottage lost in a mountainous field of wet grass and clover, brushed by the salty air of the Irish sea. Nothing else out there has tried that, at least not that I've found.
    Patrick is a fragrance that I have had on my radar for a while now.....especially due to the inclusion of carnation and patchouli in the list of notes contained in it....I wish the website offered a sample...as I always prefer to test before buying.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Patrick is a fragrance that I have had on my radar for a while now.....especially due to the inclusion of carnation and patchouli in the list of notes contained in it....I wish the website offered a sample...as I always prefer to test before buying.....
    Neither carnation nor patchouli are detectable in Patrick. If you contact Fragrances of Ireland directly, they will send you samples, and accommodate shipping to your location. They're a pretty friendly company. It's definitely a safe blind buy though.

M/M Ink from Byredo is beyond description. Nothing else is like it. I have tried to describe it and usually fail to find the words for the smells. It has a sumi ink smell with a patchouli base. To some people it smells really terrible as there is an odd scent that goes with the sumi ink part. But, it is very attractive to me, other people notice and respond well to it - asking what is that? Not only is it hard to describe, it is kind of difficult to smell it on yourself. It is really easier to smell the fragrance when it is on somebody else.

Actually I have a few:

Ungaro III: That dark gothic rose note has not been achieved by any other perfume, and it is the most beautiful note in the world IMO.

Ungaro II: That animalistic, raw, dirty and sexy scent is also so unique. Too bad it bombed in the market, but it bombed precisely because it was so different.

Richard James EdT: Reaches highest degree of elegance, sophistication and britishness.

One Man Show: Do I have to explain?????

Zizanie: The most masculine fragrance in my book.

Though they are almost indescribable, I will try to at least somehow define the scents which (among others) have left a strong and pleasant, yet also undefinable, nearly elusive impression on me:

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligons- a non-sweet male gourmand scent, in my opinion, combining the classic citrus-chypre formula with a much less expected twist of almost edible notes reminind of tobacco and Meidterranean herbs, while retaining its distinction

Opus 1870, by the same house of Penhaligons- the most linear wood-spice accord I ever smelled (and a quite good and elegant one)

Kenzo pour Homme - very uniform airy notes, so light that they are almost easy not to be smelled at all

Versace Black Jeans- leather, florals and darkness, all this in a very appealing manner

Davidoff Relax- rich and dark powerhouse, leaving behind nothing but a very thick and impenetrable could of smoke (which actually smells grand), thus very little room for other notes

Caron pour un Homme- pleasantly surprised, since it takes a far more vanillic, creamier twist than I expected

Mouchoir de Monsieur - ancestor of all gourmands, a fragrance so flawless, it seems to have originated from niche perfumers' wildest dreams

my nose is still a rookie but i have never smelled anything like amouage gold other than amouage lyric. the first time i wore it my head was in the clouds.

"Ungaro II: That animalistic, raw, dirty and sexy scent is also so unique. Too bad it bombed in the market, but it bombed precisely because it was so different."

"Zizanie: The most masculine fragrance in my book."

I too own Ungaro II and love it....it IS different and what I love about it is the definite progression that it leads you through....I LOVE the opening when it is first applied the best though...

I am going to have to check out Zizanie as others have compared it to MdM by Guerlain which I am currently on the search to test...

Xeryus Rouge. Someone mentioned this on a thread I started recently. An Oriental that's cold, not fresh, cold. Only Tommy used it's Cactus Flesh note elsewhere, and with a completely different effect. Really unique.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme
    One Man Show
    Sung Homme
    Lapidus Pour Homme