Code of Conduct

Default Female office scent for tech industry

Please offer your suggestions for good office scents (female or unisex) for an over-30 woman who works in the tech industry, where people dress casually to business casual. Looking for something that wears close to the skin and won't offend those nearby, but that is still kind of interesting. Niche or mainstream is OK (the office sample packs at TPC are mostly mainstream, so I'm especially curious about niche options). Thanks!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Female office scent for tech industry

My "go to" recommendation seems to be Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Please offer your suggestions for good office scents (female or unisex) for an over-30 woman who works in the tech industry, where people dress casually to business casual. Looking for something that wears close to the skin and won't offend those nearby, but that is still kind of interesting. Niche or mainstream is OK (the office sample packs at TPC are mostly mainstream, so I'm especially curious about niche options). Thanks!
    OK this may be really unhelpful, but I'd say wear what you like; and less of it if you would like to keep it close to you so nobody else smells it.

Two lines that strike me as a little more geeky or avant garde and on average not very strong are CDG and Etat Libre d'Orange.

In CDG, you can try CDG2, both the regular and the man version (I like the man, with incense and candles).

In Etat Libre d'Orange, Tom of Finland (lemony saffron) or Jasmin et cigarette (as the name suggests). Or, if you feel a little more naughty, Rien (bitter leather).

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    My "go to" recommendation seems to be Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.
    Yeah, l've noticed that!

matildaben, what kind of scent are you looking for, ie. floral/herbal/green/spicy etc???
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

For niche how about Tam Dao? Designer maybe Narciso Rodriguez for her ( I prefer the edt)
    Ok,just saw that you already own Tam Dao. Should have checked your wardrobe first Then might I suggest Bois d'iris or Egoiste? L'ombre dans l'eau and Jicky also works fine with me at work.( I work as a Nursing assistant when I don't study)

I prefer woody and spicy over floral and fruity. Today I'm wearing L'Artisan Parfumeur Fleur de Liane and I like it a lot, it is green and earthy. I dislike most rose scents and I didn't like L'Ombre Dans L'Eau - when I wore a test spritz of it, it wafted off of me strongly for hours. I sort of liked Kelly Caleche and Jardin Sur Le Nil, but am not sure about them for long-term use. I love love love Tam Dao - it was my first full-size bottle purchase since learning about niche.

Blog Entries

Ok... maybe Ambre Sultan might work for you, l find it very woody & spicy & it doesn't project much on me.
    Also, Dune might be up your street, it is certainly interesting.
    Or Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone; the lily is not noticeable on me, but the ginger & wood notes are.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yeah, l've noticed that!
    I just think it works for almost any situation. I even converted my sister to liking it - and she is one of those people who generally wears "fragrances for people who don't like fragrances".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi there matildaben -

It's not niche but I think Hermès Eau des Merveilles, a wonderful sparkling citrus-woody-amber, is exactly what you're describing - unisex, no noticable florals, definitely interesting and wears pretty close to the skin ...actually, it has some sillage but it's quite transparent. I highly recommend it.

The notes, btw, include orange, lemon, amber, pepper, violet, moss, cedar and vetiver.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just think it works for almost any situation. I even converted my sister to liking it - and she is one of those people who generally wears "fragrances for people who don't like fragrances".
    That's ok pet, l was just having a little chuckle, that's all. Actually l keep thinking l must try it sometime, just to see what all the fuss is about!

Oops, sorry for derailing this thread, now back to the topic!

I've got Eau d'M and Elixir d'M coming to me in a swap soon and I'm looking forward to checking them out.

I was actually surprised it wasn't on your test or sample list as you seem to be somewhat familiar with Hermès. Enjoy them.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I was actually surprised it wasn't on your test or sample list as you seem to be somewhat familiar with Hermès.
    Oops, fixed that! Thanks.

I am not in the tech industry, but these are all on my office-approved list:

+1 Chanel 5 Eau Premiere (powdery)
    Badgley Mischka Couture (smooth, both woody and soapy to me, in a luxurious way)
    Prada L'eau Ambree (if you want a subtle amber frag)
    Serge Lutens L'eau (fresh and crisp, no flowers, unisex)
    Jayne Ormonde Champaca (a beautiful, spicy floral)
    Jayne Ormonde Frangipani (a gentle, green floral; gorgeous note of linden tree blossom if you like that)

There are many others. These are just some of my faves.

Hillaire

TDC Bois d'Iris would be my recommendation.

Hi matildaben!! Actually I am anxious to hear your thoughts on Coromandel. It's pretty spicy, a lot more than I had expected given my mental image of the house of Chanel (which is turning out to be very wrong btw).

That said, I have not found a problem wearing ANY scent in the office. And this is also given the fact that anytime anyone sprays a room freshener the entire office goes up in arms. I wear about 3 spritzes and I can smell it on myself but people have mentioned they never smell my perfume. They know I'm into perfume so they're surprised they haven't noticed it on me. So if you love it, I say wear it, but sparingly. No matter the scent, if you wear it loud SOMEONE somewhere will complain. It could be the smell of heaven itself, and some curmudgeon would sniff and say "what is THAT?"

This would be perfect: SL's Bas de Sois

after that:

FM's En Passant (really nice for spring)
    Le Labo's: Bergamote 22 (unisex, also good for layering)
    Brezza di Mare (one of the nicest marine scents, beautiful)
    L'Artisan: Passage d'enfer

I'd even wear to work: Comme des Garcons Wonderwood
    Last edited by firehorse; 30th March 2011 at 07:00 PM.

I'm a woody/spicy gal, too, but I also like some incense or vanilla thrown in for good measure. Based on that, here are my suggestions -- and I find that dabbing instead of spraying these will help them wear closer:

Diptyque Eau Duelle -- it has the spare beauty of the wood in Tam Dao but throws in some dry vanilla and spice for good measure. I love it.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille (sweeter than Eau Duelle but with a nice woody and incense-y base) and Feminite du Bois (plum, violet, wood, and spice -- GORGEOUS)

Givenchy Organza Indecence -- spice, woods, and some vanilla. One of my go-to office fragrances.

Robert Piguet Visa -- I just discovered and fell in love with this one. Don't be afraid of the flowers -- they're only present to enhance the wood, spices, and vanilla (at least on my skin). Another gorgeous one that I'm buying a FB of today.

+1 for Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily -- if you can find it. It was a limited edition offering and is no longer being sold. You can probably get a decant of it from TPC.

Edit:

Just saw that you have a sample of FdB and have tried Eau Duelle. If those aren't up your alley, might I suggest The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit or, for something much drier, woodier, and incense-y, Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain or Parfum d'Empire Wazamba.

Miller et Bertaux Close Your Eyes, and... is a very soft, comfy, gaiac wood scent that stays fairly close to the skin and is quite non-offensive.

Hi everybody.
    I also work in tech industry. I would choose La Perla by La Perla. The guys at my office dislike Eau des Merveilles. They think it's too sharp & pungent.

Today I wore Chanel No. 19 to work. I love the smell and it makes me feel very intelligent and competent.