Code of Conduct

Default Does this happen to you?

I spray myself in the AM. After that I really do not smell much of anything until about 20 minutes later and then I begin to gets wiffs of my cologne and that lasts for most of the work day. Is this olfactory overload when first applied. Does it take a few minutes for the cologne to start projecting? What are your thoughts?
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Default Re: Does this happen to you?

Yes, the same does happen to me with certain fragrances. I sometimes experience a sort of blind spot effect for 10 to 30 minutes where I cannot smell much after the top notes blast. And I am talking about scents that I am normally able to smell 8 hours after application. I have no explanation for this, I just assume that some top or early medium notes are just too intense for my olfactory system and there is a sort of self defense reaction that shuts down the whole chain (or just part of it but the result is the same).

Yeah, I experience this with most scents. I find the initial act of spraying can result in a senseless nose. I try my best to spray at the appropriate distance from my skin such that the mist hits my neck with little ricochet, minimizing the molecules that are free to permeate the air and assault my olfactory receptors. This tends to help the initial blind spot to which you refer.

i think it might be the alcohol, in a weird way, killing any scent of aroma chemicals that might project off the skin. once the alcohol has dried out the aroma chemicals roam free and thats where you can smell them. this is just a theory tho so dont quote me.

Can't say that this has ever happened to me.

Blog Entries

ls it not a case of the molecules needing time to warm up on your skin? And does this depend on how warm your skin is to start with?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This happens to me, usually after about 30 minutes. It particularly happens with frags that contain violet leaf notes, like Grey Flannel - GF always smells strong to me when I first apply it, and then for a while there I get nothing. Then maybe an hour later it's back in force. I think olfactory fatigue is something that most fragrance wearers get at some point or another. Some frags (all Davidoff frags for me) simply disappear for good to my nose after fifteen minutes, but are still quite perceptible to those around us. It's nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    This happens to me, usually after about 30 minutes. It particularly happens with frags that contain violet leaf notes, like Grey Flannel - GF always smells strong to me when I first apply it, and then for a while there I get nothing. Then maybe an hour later it's back in force. I think olfactory fatigue is something that most fragrance wearers get at some point or another. Some frags (all Davidoff frags for me) simply disappear for good to my nose after fifteen minutes, but are still quite perceptible to those around us. It's nothing to worry about.
    My biggest worry is that I apply too much because my sense of smell is altered for a while and people can smell me walking down the hallway froo 20 yards away.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I spray myself in the AM. After that I really do not smell much of anything until about 20 minutes later and then I begin to gets wiffs of my cologne and that lasts for most of the work day. Is this olfactory overload when first applied. Does it take a few minutes for the cologne to start projecting? What are your thoughts?
    That happens when I wear John Varvatos (original). It doesn't project anything on my skin in the first 10 minutes. Then, it continuously projects for the next 5-6 hours.

i find i get wiffts throughout the day when i dont look for the scent and get randomly surprised. So i guess it happens to me too?

Yeah this does happen to me from time to time.
    .Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Can't say that this has ever happened to me.
    Nor me.

I get the whiffs thing but not the first 20 mins part. I generally use a standard spray so it's not too much or two little (one base of neck, one on wrist-press them together, and one on my fingertips to dab behind my ear. I'm thinking I might do away with the wrist b/c I think it does the least plus in case I get to sample something else later in the day, got a good spot ready to go!

Happens to me almost everyday digger. I get about 5 minutes of the opening notes, then as I start dressing, it seems to be gone, only to reemerge a few minutes later.

Sometimes and right now in fact. I just put on perfume about an hour ago and for the first 45 minutes I could barely smell anything. Now my sense of smell is slowly returning. Musc Ravageur FYI.

this is olfactory fatigue, or better, adaption. it's the way our nose works, more with some smells than with others. the solution is simple: less is more. for the same reason, it's not a good idea to apply too close to the nose. i would say, keep a 30cm distance.