Code of Conduct

Default Need help in choosing a frag for a special event

So I'm going to a HS prom and I was wondering what fragrance I should wear.
    I'm still fairly new to the fragrance world so I have a VERY small collection... if you can even call it that.
    My signature scent I think it would be Pure Malt, I wear it to everyday to shcool(one spray, just so I can get a whiff thoughout the day). However I don't think its apropriate for prom.
    I own London, Boss Bottled, 1million, amen, and fuel for life. All of which I think its really not appropriate for prom. I guess MAYBE Bottled.
    What do you guys think I should wear?
    I'm open to new fragrance suggetions.
    An I'm considering buying a bottle for the occasion. I tend to like sweet and gourmand fragrances, as I love Boss bottled, amen and puremalt.

Default Re: Need help in choosing a frag for a special event

Go for something you've trusted for a long time....if it is Boss Bottled, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsmellydud View Post
    An I'm considering buying a bottle for the occasion. I tend to like sweet and gourmand fragrances, as I love Boss bottled, amen and puremalt.
    If you have the money, Bond No. 9's New Haarlem or Van Cleef & Arpels' Midnight in Paris Eau de Parfum. Both are great formal perfumes with very good and non-offensive projection and 10+ hours longevity.

+1 New Haarlem
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Guerlain L`Instant extreeme
    Boucheron Jaipur

On the other hand, may I suggest: Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense

Well, seeing as you are a young 'un and attending a prom, I don't think my recommending an expecnsive niche scent is beneficial; I know money can be tight. If Boss Bottled rocks your plimsoul, then, by all means...go for it! When choosing a new scent, I (+1) the Jaipur by Boucheron rec (sweet, kinda spicy, a bit of vanilla in the base) and will add the following:
    -- Bvlgari Black,
    -- Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (anise is alleged to yield positive reactions from the ladies...I don't think it was scientific, IDK),
    -- Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge, or even
    -- Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein.

Hope those help! =)

Wow....now I'm thinking! I wore Iquitos to my senior prom and Jacomo de Jacomo (the original) to my GF's prom two years later! Powerhouses, baby! LOL

Have fun, smelleydude! =)

....Reading another thread got the gears turning.......Also consider:

-- YSL Opium PH, or
    -- Gucci Envy

=)

Chergui - Serge Lutens

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Agree.

Wow, memories. I remember mulling the same question over, and, eventually reaching for...wait for it...Candies for men. How tastes and knowledge change over time. First, I will give you the "advice" response of; go with what you are most comfortable in. The scent that makes you strut your stuff, hold your head high, and exudes confidence. Second, my designer suggestions would be Cool Water or Acqua Di Gio. Both are inoffensive scents that react very well to rises in body heat (which, I presume, you will be "getting your groove on" so to speak), have spectacular longevity, and are almost universally accepted as great scents. If you are looking for something a little less predictable and a little more individual, maybe something from the Acqua Di Parma line?

+ 1 Volley2 is on the ball.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I second Richie_B's suggestion of Bvlgari Black. Burberry London could work well too, though.

This

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I would say for that special day :

Chergui
    Dior Homme
    Pure Malt

yeah dior homme.
    A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (19051996)

Upon reading the OP and before reading anyone else's suggstion, the first thought that came to mind was Dior Homme. Looks like it's already the overwhelming favorite.

1. It's a great special occasion/romantic fragrance that is popular with girls.

2. It's the kind of fragrance that you'd love to relate to your High School Prom.

3. It's way different than anything else that you own and versatile enough to see many more uses.

I think it's perfect for your situation. It just boils down to trying it and seeing if you like it.
    Good luck with your purchase and your prom!

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. And sorry for my late reply...
    First off...its obvious that Dior homme is a popular choice however after looking at some reviews I felt it might not be for me but I'm new to this world so I ordered a sample... I will post my thoughts when i get it.
    Ok now, I have a moderate budget and I have two major choices and I'd like your help in deciding.

My first choice is Bond's New Haarlem. This would be my first niche scent purchase and quite a big one for me. But I love gourmand fragrances and my date also loves coffee.

My second choice is a short list of 5ml decants from theperfumedcourt. Currently the list is chergui, double vanille, memoir man, and musc ravager. I was thinking here that I would buy small 5ml decants so I could wear for the day and this way I would have some options... However the downside is i wouldn't get a bottle(obviously) and the total came out to be quite high.

All of the fragrances mentioned above I have never smelled but I'm 99% sure I will like new haarlem.
    Oh if I decide that I absolutely love Dior homme I will just get that. BUT Id really like a special fragrance which is why I'm willing to spend almost double what I could normally aford...

Again, please let me know what you guys think???
    Last edited by lilsmellydud; 30th March 2011 at 07:30 AM.

Memoir man may not be the one for u... My personal opinion - if you go for Amouage , go for Reflection ! Memoir is dark and mature scent , best in fall , this one remind me of rainforest. MR and Chergui my personal favourite ( Chergui is even better in hot days than MR ) .

I like the idea of buying decants to try niche because those fragrances are expensive and do not always pleasing to the nose.
    If you go niche I suggest the following
    Chergui
    New Haarlem
    West Side (by Bond No9 too) - This one is my new year eve scent, very festive but a little carnaval than formal
    Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler - This is not niche but I put it here because it is very hard to find these days. A coffee/cacao powder opens which dries down to a richer/creamier A*men base.
    Cafe Noir by Ava Luxe - You want coffee then this will give you full on coffee (I do refer Pure Coffee more as it is more interesting)
    I personally do not think Musc Ravageur is a good choice because its animalic top-notes smells like a public rest room to my noise

With that said, I do think designer are the way to go if you want to get attention and complement in public places because they are louder and more pleasing. There are some fragrances that I think can do wonder in the formal prom occassion

Pi by Givenchy
    Guerlain Homme
    Roadster by Cartier
    Dior Homme
    Hypnose for Men by Lancome (or a more chocolate alternative Lacoste Elegant)
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin (all 3 versions original/fraicher/l'eau)
    L`Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Burberry Brit

If you're willing to wander into the more feminine side (it pays off big time lol) then
    Fleur du Male
    #10 La Rouge de la Fortune by D&G (or the more floral/feminine alternative FlowerBomb)
    Alien by Thierry Mugler (I've received non-stop complement from this one)

Those are all very interesting and have a dressy vibe to them

Enjoy your Prom
    Last edited by jasonx; 30th March 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Definitely look into the Opium PH family. See if you can get your hands on Pure Havane instead of Pure Malt; it is smoother and touch less bracing. I would highly recommend Lp9 and Endymion by Penhaligon's if you can find them.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.