Code of Conduct

Default Arso by Profumum

Got a sample of this yesterday. God is this good. Kind of a cross between Mazzolari Mazzolari and Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline with a little Parfum d’Empire Ambre Russe thrown in the mix. I am definitely getting a bottle of this.

Default Re: Arso by Profumum

I thought it was mediore at best. Extremely poor longevity and sillage. I'll stick with Black Tourmaline.

These people market fragrance internationally and call their stuff...Arso? Gimme a break!

"What am I smelling on you there, John?"
    "Oh, that's Arso"
    "Right, like your dog's arso, or your own?"
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Interesting. Is the pine note prominent ?

IMO it's perfectly balanced.

I have yet to give my sample a full wearing, so I can't speak to longevity and sillage, but I must say that it does smell terrific. It's like a sweeter, woodsier Black Tourmaline. I'm seriously considering a bottle, even though I think Profumum is generally overpriced for what they offer. My exceptions to this statement are Arso and the very controversial Fumidus. I can easily see myself getting both of these before the end of 2011.

as stated in other thread ... I can only freak out over similarity to Olibanum which I'm so fonda, that.. this seems like an adulteration thereof... maybe I could get to like it better but give me Olibanum oor...

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I thought it was mediore at best. Extremely poor longevity and sillage.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    IMO it's perfectly balanced.
    AGREED.

THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. One of my Top 10 ever I think. This is the wrong season to release it though IMO. It's got this leathery smokey 'woodstove in autumn' vibe, but it's intimate & erotic, and also great energy. I could wear this anywhere, provided the temp outside was say 65 or cooler. It takes a lot for me to want to spend this kind of money on a bottle, but it's definitely going to be my 'go to' next autumn and winter.

Only thing not so awesome about it is it's name lol.

Outstanding fragrance!

Sweet leather done up right. To address the pine question, i don't get much...
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    These people market fragrance internationally and call their stuff...Arso? Gimme a break!

"What am I smelling on you there, John?"
    "Oh, that's Arso"
    "Right, like your dog's arso, or your own?"
    I know, I know. I tried this at The Scent Bar- pretty good stuff but what a name.............
    What is it... $260 bucks to smell of Arso..........? The jokes with this name are endless.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

As I write this I have Black Tourmaline on one wrist and Arso on the other.

I actually had to put Black Tourmaline on twice to get it to project like Arso. And it's still weak in comparison. But different; as with most things, they aren't mutually exclusive.

I mean, they're different. BT has a prominent cumin note. Arso has a sweet thing going I can't describe, almost like burning candy. I love it.

The name makes me laugh.

At first, I was like "Oh, like Arson," now I just picture a donkey-faced Italian boy, like a friend of Pinocchio or something.

If someone asks, I'll probably fib and say "arson," lol

Sort of more like a burning orange popsicle stick, to me. Seriously.

<<Interesting. Is the pine note prominent ?

"Arso" means "burned" in Italian, looked it up.

"The more you know." : ]

I confirm "Arso" means "burned" and to me "burned" is exactly how it smells like. I get the comparisons with Black Tourmaline but where the latter introduces vetiver, incense, hints of agarwood and spices to create a very complex composition that's incredibly compelling, Arso stays pretty much linear on the smoky side resulting definitely unbalanced.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Black Tourmaline is nice, though I don't smell the oud; to me it's more of a much better Marc Jacobs' Bang with a stronger cumin note and greater complexity.

Arso is completely different. Like I said, like a burned popsicle stick.

I can say having gotten samples of both yesterday, I ordered a decant of the Arso, simply because I like it.

Basenotes Institution

This sounds so interesting, I can't wait to smell it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My only complaint is that it only seems "smell-able" for an hour, based on a sample dab (which is usually all you need to judge) : [

STILL excited about my decant, though.

One of the benefits of a 10 ml atomizer is you can pop it in your car and spritz on before a date or meeting, etc.

Sampling this now... very interesting. Definitely complex, smoky and woodsy, the incense and pine resin notes are really well blended to make for a unique sweet-pine dominated incense accord.

I wonder if there are irregularities in production, or if they made it stronger recently based on feedback... because my sample left an oil slick on my arm more so than any other frag. Projection and sillage are VERY high, and this is from a ~.1 mL dab... this stuff is similar to Puredistance M as far as concentration, and M is an extrait w/ 25% oil content.

Not sure I need 100mL but I'm thinking I'd like a decant... I'll see what I think after I wear it a couple times.

I feel Arso is one of the best releases in the past 5 years. Incense, cedar, smokey, leather. Gorgeous.

Interested to hear about Profumum. I own Olibanum and Victrix. The pine notes here (for some, at least) sound interesting.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Interested to hear about Profumum. I own Olibanum and Victrix. The pine notes here (for some, at least) sound interesting.
    It's more of a pine sap/resin rather than a sharp pine needle smell...

After a few hours Arso settles down and stops projecting like crazy, probably the result of using predominantly natural ingredients. The transition reminds me of a few all natural frags produced by DSH. The drydown is very nice, the scent doesn't change a whole lot, but becomes more laid back and smooth. The longevity of the drydown stage is quite good, still present after 12 hours.

I definitely want a small decant of this to try out.

This smells exactly like the pick'n'mix which used to be in the corner shop of my old street. You'd walk in there and count how many 1p sweets you put in the bag, tell the shopkeeper how many and then pay. It smells like liquorice mixed with those shoelace sweets. Well, perhaps if that shop was on fire

Arso is one of the best fall/winter woods fragrances you will ever find. Projects well, lasts a long time, although it does change during the day. If CdG Zagorsk smells like a small wooden church deep in the forest, then Arso is the church on fire. It is smokin. It's an astonishingly good fragrance for the effect of losing yourself in a pine forest and contemplation around the campfire. The wood smoke aspect gives it an incense feel towards the base.

It is awesome, I would say one of the best Autumn/Winter men's fragrances ever made. Worth the high price.

Totally agree.

Basenotes Institution

Gosh this sounds incredible. I can't wait to smell it. Sweet smoke and pine. I'm all over that.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gosh this sounds incredible. I can't wait to smell it. Sweet smoke and pine. I'm all over that.
    You'll love it, Mike. It's what I'm asking my partner for, for my 50th (Yikes) birthday in December. I'm not sure how much wear you'll give it in a place like Miami, but I plan to wear it a lot in the Kentucky winter.

Yeah, sounds extremely interesting. Pretty hard to come by here in Germany though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yeah, sounds extremely interesting. Pretty hard to come by here in Germany though.
    I wouldn't see why it would be hard to come by. Profumum Roma is based in Italy, which is about 100 times closer to Germany than it is to say Los Angeles, CA where it's sitting in the Lucky Scent store, etc.

According to their website there are a handful of german brick and mortar stores selling their range or parts of it but none of them is less then two to three hours away from me and there's no online-shop I know of carrying them. I guess they want to stay exclusive and deny distribution rights. If I buy samples from luckyscent, I have to pay exorbitant shipping fees so that is not a good option either.

According to their website there are a handful of german brick and mortar stores selling their range or parts of it but none of them is less then two to three hours away from me and there's no online-shop I know of carrying them. I guess they want to stay exclusive and deny distribution rights. If I buy samples from luckyscent, I have to pay exorbitant shipping fees so that is not a good option either.
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to contact Profumum directly and tell them of this situation, and hopefully they will send you sample(s) directly

If you want to test their fragrances Luckyscent is the only option I know. I've been directly to their flagship store in rome and they don't do samples. They said they're too small to afford them (!?)

After a hint of some user on a german forum, I politely wrote one of the stores listed on profumum's website if they would send me some sample decants that I would pay for. Waiting for an answer now.

After a hint of some user on a german forum, I politely wrote one of the stores listed on profumum's website if they would send me some sample decants that I would pay for. Waiting for an answer now.
    Hopefully they self decant the samples...

Yeah, that is what I'm hoping for. Well, if they don't, that's quite a bit of money saved...

Yeah, that is what I'm hoping for. Well, if they don't, that's quite a bit of money saved...
    Last time I was in their flagship store in Rome I've been assaulted by a SA and when I asked her for some samples she said that "Profumum doesn't do samples. I'm here to take you by the hand on a journey to discover which one of our fragrances better fits you" LOL. I obvisouly ended up buyng nothing. She was actually quite nice but their "philosophy" left me perplexed....

So I'm back to report that it actually worked! Thanks to the great, great sampling service of Harald Lubner (based in Hamburg -> www.Harald-Lubner.de) I received a bunch of samples today, one of them being Arso! I'm only wearing it for around 1-2 hours now but so far, I love it! If it doesn't go wrong somewhere in its late development, I think it's fbw for me... *sighs*. It indeed gives the very comforting impression of relaxing in front of a chimney fire or peacfully walking through a calm pineforest with a campfire nearby. Excellent for the fall/winter seasons, I'd say.

Congratulations! You're now a walking forrest fire!!

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Congratulations! You're now a walking forrest fire!!
    Hehe, yes indeed but I quite enjoyed my day on fire. I can't help it but to me Arso is like the more rugged but at the same time also a more wearable, older brother of Luten's Chene! It has great longevity and projects well. The deleopment seems quite linear, which might get boring if used too frequently but I actually appreciate it for this kind of fragrance. The balance between incense and different woods is brilliant, IMO.

As an interesting note - it goes quite well with Jazz music.

Arso is possibly one of my biggest 180 so far. I always found it unbalanced, sort of too smoky but I was wrong! It smells so darn good.

Strongly resinous, incensey with a tad of sweetness during the opening and with leather hints throughout. A shy boozy note discreetely remakrs its presence druing the initial phase to slowly disappear leaving space to a slighlt sweet amber note while the fragrance dries down. Smells exactly like an estinguished campfire where they burned resinous pine, cedar and tones of dry leaves, smells of velvety white smoke, smells incredibly salubrious. Initally I thought about a mash-up between Fille En Aiguilles and Black Torumaline but overall Arso is less balmy, less sweet and as much as I love the Lutens and the Durbano, this one is much more wearable.

Surely among the best deliveries from Porfumum. Terrific!

I was at one of the stores in Rome too during my trip. Among the few I tried, I like Arso the best. I don't get the smoky complexity other people find, to me it is a huge churchy incense (meaning also with assorted resins). But good. The others I tried less so.

cacio

as it starts, I'm reminded of Memoir Man.....it slowly segues into what reminds me of a smokier Fille en Aiguilles, as it dries down it becomes quite boozy and smoky........in fact, now after 12 hrs, I can honestly say, that this picture really does do it justice...a beautiful fragrance.........

Last edited by Daze; 3rd April 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Wow, this smells great! Right now I've got Profumum Arso on my one hand and Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche on the other hand. So far I really like both of these fragrances and damn they're really battling eachother for attention! They're both pretty sweet and smokey and very potent. It's strange but in some way these two fragrances seem to compliment eachother really well...

Edit: With regard to longevity Ambre Fétiche is the clear winner. Unfortunately Profumum Arso doesn't seem to last more than a few hours on me, also projection isn't great and it turns into a skin scent pretty quick. Ambre Fétiche however is a real monster and is still very clearly detectable after more than 16 hours and a shower...

Too bad really since I loved Profumum Arso, but no way I'm going to pay that much for a fragrance that lasts for such a short time...
    Last edited by Daze; 4th April 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Basenotes Institution

OMG I sampled this today and it is FANTASTIC! I want a bottle. Just wow.

The smoke note it features is exquisite. Probably my favorite smoke note in perfumery. It smells like something that's been burnt. The only other scent with a smoke note that I can remember smelling like this is Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga and yet that one had that odd fougere/aromatic vibe mixed in with the watery/aqueous smoke. This smoke is drier in texture, very subtle yet incredibly present. It only seems to enhance the other wood, sap, incense notes.

I most likely will not be buying a full bottle of this, it's too damn expensive. But if I can get a decant one of these days I will be very happy.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OMG I sampled this today and it is FANTASTIC! I want a bottle. Just wow.

The smoke note it features is exquisite. Probably my favorite smoke note in perfumery. It smells like something that's been burnt. The only other scent with a smoke note that I can remember smelling like this is Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga and yet that one had that odd fougere/aromatic vibe mixed in with the watery/aqueous smoke. This smoke is drier in texture, very subtle yet incredibly present. It only seems to enhance the other wood, sap, incense notes.

I most likely will not be buying a full bottle of this, it's too damn expensive. But if I can get a decant one of these days I will be very happy.
    Good lord, Mike! I told you over a year ago you'd love this one. Just belly up to the bar and buy a bottle. Yeah, it's $240, but it'll last you years and years, and it's no more expensive than Serge Lutens.

Basenotes Institution

Lol

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Have you tried Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese? It's a very prominent smoke scent, certainly worth trying if you enjoy Arso.

Not bad. But NBW!

Sound Scents

I was completely unimpressed by this one. Just another disappointing release IMO from a disappointing house in general.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Have you tried Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese? It's a very prominent smoke scent, certainly worth trying if you enjoy Arso.
    Not yet, thanks for the tip.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Bumping to see if there are any more impressions....

I'm especially curious about how close it comes to both Fille et Aiguilles and Bois d'Ascese as I own those and really feel the need for much redundancy...but I do love me some pine.

I have an image in my head: In the winter months, snow on the ground, my family has taken down the Christmas tree. We're sitting by the fire and placing the pine branches in it...listening to the crackling.

I want that as a fragrance...

Here's some:

SL Fille en Auiguilles - sampled last month; pine for about 4-6 hour; I can get pine out of polo, pino, yatagan, etc., the direct route is perhaps a little too much especially considering I've already got Agraria Balsam. Good, but redundant for me.

Naomi Bois d'Ascese - sampled last Dec; masculine no doubt; smokey with incense, tobac and whiskey; probably will pursue a bottle.

I own Profumum Arso. I get less smoke than others and more pine with incense. Yeah, it's a keeper.