Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fragrance with a fecal smell an addictive? Do you like fecal scent fragrance?

Good point, @primrose and @AZsmells.

There are certain compounds which are found in e.g. oud, which are also found in poop.
    Like nineXseven said, if you haven't patiently let your nose decipher the scent spectrum and let it get used to it, you will find the scent 'fecal'. But the more you study the scent, you realize that there is simply something in one little aspect you detect in the other. The scent, in reality, is not poopy.

Jasmine is indolic, but how many of us think 'poop!' when we sniff it?
    And how many of us think 'clary sage!' when we smell so-called ambergris in main-stream perfumery (which is actually ambrox/ambroxan derived from clary sage)? We don't.

I think that since main-stream mass-produced perfumery has made our noses disconnected from natural aromatics, we are thrown off-guard when we come across them. This includes things like castoreum, oud, ambergris, musk...

Don't even get me started on musk........ : )
    Hahaaaa.... if you haven't smelled real musk (from musk deers), you're in for a real surprise! If you're curious and want to try some, PM me, as I have some grains to spare. It makes me happy when I get to share real oud, real ambergris, and real musk with people. Kinda like fighting 'the system', and letting people see how different the real stuff is from what we're used to.

Default Re: Fragrance with a fecal smell an addictive? Do you like fecal scent fragrance?

By the way, as your nose gets more used to the bolder ouds out there, you might realize that "pungent and barnyardy" are more accurate descriptions.
    And for the more 'fecal' ouds, they have more of a chocolate note which, combined with pungent+barnyardy, might give the impression of being fecal.

To answer the original question, I do find 'fecal' frags addictive, but like I said they aren't really fecal to me any more.
    More specifically, I find Indian ouds to be addictive, as they're the ones that are typically described as being fecal. I don't wear Indian oud as a fragrance, rather, I use just a tiny dot on the outer side of my lower forearm (good longevity here, plus easy access for the nose) and just sniff for hours and hours.
    When I use Indian oud, it is for me, and not for others. Its not for me to wear, but for me to sniff. If that makes sense!

Incidentally, Indian and Lao oils are the most "fecal" and they happen to be the most psychoactive of all oud oils as well. Once your nose gets over the boldness (shouldn't take more than 1-2 weeks), the scent just grounds you and calms your mind.

Here's a good exegesis of oud oils by geography, on the Olfactory Rescue Service blog: clickety-click.

Ambergris also has an animalic and 'poopy' aspect, and I find that sniffing it also makes me happy for some reason. Something about it tickles the back of my brain in a yummy way.
    And then of course there's the king of all scents, musk. That's about as animalic and poopy as you can get! To my nose (or should I say brain), the most addictive fragrances are and/or contain musk and oud. Natural ones, of course, as the synthetic ones simply capture 1 facet out of a million found in the real thing. Think diamonds.... if you have just one facet and it will look like glass. Have a multi-faceted, brilliantly-cut piece, and it will take your breath away.
    Last edited by tahasyed; 11th April 2011 at 03:09 PM.

i own jazz By ysl
    and i dont get no fecal smell in it
    i read some reviews that it has fecal smell

i also like Black Xs By PR
    there people who have found fecal smell , But i just don't get it

i get sometimes strongs kind of harsh smells
    Burnt smelling

But nothing that smells like caca

Let's come up with some names for fecal-smelling cologne:

Creed Dirty Poop Water
    Hermes Un Jardin Dans Mon Anus
    Bond No. 9 Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    For example, sometimes people have nasty feet that smell like parmesan cheese. It's gross. Yet at the same time, one could say that parmesan cheese smells like feet-- yet we put that stuff in our mouths!
    Great...there goes my plans to have spaghetti for dinner...

Basenotes Institution

I'm so glad scentemental and Indie_guy decided to chime in on this thread. I will repeat what scentemental said, since I have experienced this very exact thing:

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    The ambivalence we feel over the indolic and animalic notes in general is to a large extent caused by the tension these notes create in us as we try to process them olfactorily. Do I like this fecal/animalic smell? Yes I do, but, wait, maybe I don't, but then, again, yes, I do, and before you know it, this vacillation has actually kept one engaged at a very deep olfactory level as one wavers trying to make up one's mind about whether the note is attractive or disgusting. No other type of note creates this kind of ambivalence and tension. It is the tension that arises from this ambivalence that keeps one fascinated by indolic and animalic notes in fragrances. It's a "troubling" attraction...
    I couldn't agree more.

I think the main attraction for me (and others) with gardenia flowers or tuberose (in nature, that is) is the strong indolic nature of those flowers. You smell it and it stops you in your tracks. Which is why I wear jasmine, gardenia and tuberose scents. It's like I want that smell that 'grabbed' me to be repeated again and again in my fragrance.

I too, in my early BN days, was grossed out by civet prominent fragrances. I mean have many of you smelled Shalimar Eau de Parfum? The fecal note positively leaps out at me, when I smell it, as soon as I put it on. Every time I wear it. But then again, it's gone in a few minutes and what's left is positively wonderful. The EdC is not quite as intense at the top notes, but still...it's amazing that this fragrance which is one of Guerlain's best-sellers is so brash and aggressively civet prominent and this doesn't seem to bother all of the hundreds of thousands of women who own a bottle.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Fresh and Fecal?

So... I was wearing Aventus, and a guy I know asked if someone farted. I never really got that from Aventus, but I suppose if you ignore the piercing pineapple topnotes it is possible to see that connection in the play between the middle and basenotes.

I always thought it had a fresh smell to it, in fact a comment I got from a woman was "Wow, you smell amazing, did you just get out of the shower?". So is this caused by the "ambivalence and tension" mentioned by scentemental and quoted above my Mike? If so, I assume this is done on purpose, and is what provokes the kind of reactions that Aventus gets? Also, are women less "troubled" by men over these associations? It seems like it...

Blog Entries

I have never smelled a fragrance that I could truly call fecal. I get sweat, armpits, a** etc. from various frags, but never fecal. Maybe I am anosmic. In another thread, someone mentioned ambrette seed as a fecal note. When I tried the ambrette seed at Le Labo, I could hardly smell anything. But in general, I like the indolic, animalic stuff--just don't overdo it. And I think there is a big difference between sniffing right off the skin compared to the sillage that others would notice--the sillage is really where these frags are the most beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I have never smelled a fragrance that I could truly call fecal. I get sweat, armpits, a** etc. from various frags, but never fecal. Maybe I am anosmic. In another thread, someone mentioned ambrette seed as a fecal note. When I tried the ambrette seed at Le Labo, I could hardly smell anything. But in general, I like the indolic, animalic stuff--just don't overdo it. And I think there is a big difference between sniffing right off the skin compared to the sillage that others would notice--the sillage is really where these frags are the most beautiful.
    Try pure Indian Oud Oil... fecal
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    ...the primal recognition and attraction of bodily odors by which--in our not so distant past--we used as the main means of identifying and "knowing" our fellow creatures, much like dogs do when they sniff each other. Of course, these bodily odors were very closely tied to sexual attraction. The hippocampus, the smaller primal brain within the brain, is not only the primal seat of emotions, but it is in large part the place in the brain in which smells are processed and hence connected with emotions and with attraction. Smells, especially indolic and animalic smells, connect us to the primal sniffing self.
    Sorry... but no. This is misinformed. First, you're conflating the olfactory system and the vomeronasal (accessory olfactory) system. The former detects odors. The latter detects pheromones. It is the vomeronasal system that most mammals use to detect relatives (there are exceptions, some odors are learned via imprinting: e.g. human parents can recognize their infants' amniotic fluid (Kaitz et al. 1987 (in Developmental Psychobiology)), but this is NOT mediated by the vomeronasal system, as far as we know, all of the vomeronasal receptor genes in humans are inactive (e.g. Nozawa et al. 2007 (in National Academy of Sciences)). What this means for us is simply that there is little or no evidence that humans as such use pheromonal cues to "recognize" eachother. If by "not so distant past" you are referring to an evolutionary timescale, I don't doubt the possibility of this claim, but I don't think we have much evidence for it anyway, unless you go "far enough into the past" until you find a common ancestor for humans and an extant species that still has functional vomeronasal receptors.

Now, apparently, humans can recognize close kin (mothers and infants) but not unrelated humans (husbands and wives) by odors (Porter et al. 1984 (in Physiology and Behavior)). This suggests that the answer to the question of whether humans can really identify each other on the basis of olfactory cues is "no". i.e. we cannot distinguish between (and therefore recognize either of) two people unrelated to us on the basis of olfactory cues alone. So you'd still have to go "far enough back" to support this claim.

Finally, these statements about the hippocampus do not sit with the data. Sorry. Emotions are a function of the entire limbic system, which consists of several subcortical areas including the hippocampus, amygdala, hypothalamus, fornix, olfactory bulb, mammilary bodies, parahippocampal and cingulate gyri. The hippocampus is primarily implicated in DECLARATIVE MEMORY FORMATION. It DOES NOT receive innervation directly from the olfactory bulb. The olfactory bulb has connections to the entorhinal cortex and the piriform cortex, and these two areas have projections to the hippocampus.

On the other hand, olfactory information appears to be consciously processed in the orbitofrontal cortex, and much of the relevant "subliminal" processing occurs at the level of the AMYGDALA (implicated in fear, anger and reward), which is directly innervated by the olfactory bulb (olfaction is the only sensory modality with this property, hence the strong emotional "component" of olfaction).

Just wanted to clear this up. If the language sounds aggressive, it was't directed at scentemental--just his claims.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I'm just in awe of Indie's post, and laughing too hard to reply.
    Fantastic. There is really not much more to say after that post.

-Slim
    +1000 - Rarely do I lol while reading posts, but this one had me laughing in each paragraph.