Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance with a fecal smell an addictive? Do you like fecal scent fragrance?

Are there actually people out there who enjoys the smell of feces? I noticed that some fragrances and oil (such as oud) that have the fecal smell that some people love so much. Oud is not cheap either. What is it in human that enjoy the smell of waste?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Fragrance with a fecal smell an addictive? Do you like fecal scent fragrance?

There are some fragrances that smell fecal, or straight up bad, but project a very nice aura. Arabie is good example of that, but Arabie is not really fecal.

As far as fecal smells, some can get quite interesting. But I honestly don't know...

Default Re: Fragrance with a fecal smell an addictive? Do you like fecal scent fragrance?

Life is short and the world is full of scents not smelling fecal - why should I waste my time smelling fecal scents?

Banned

A nose unsophisticated to certain notes, such as certain ouds, civet, or castoreum (among others) may interpret these notes as 'fecal' because this may the closest aroma they recognize. A similar phenomena occurs when one can't recognize floral notes and will then associate them with smells they know (such as 'soapy'). Once you're acclimatized to these smells you realize that they don't actually smell fecal, but rather they have unique aromas that have little to do what how you once associated them. I'm not aware of a single fragrance that actually has a true fecal smell, even if that's a common descriptor. It's with notes and accords such as these with which you shouldn't necessarily judge or assess a fragrance based on what you smell digging your nose into your wrist. Many fragrances are designed to be smelled when worn and the fragrance will smell quite different from how it smells up close. An oud, civet or perhaps cumin fragrance that smells fecal or sweaty or whatever on your wrist has entirely different olfactory effect sprayed on your neck and experienced from farther away.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Are there actually people out there who enjoys the smell of feces?
    I'm sure there are, but not me.

If it is applied at the basenotes and in a very small dose and mixed with other notes it can make a good musky fragrance in a mens masculine scent. For example Givenchy Gentleman opens with a leather note that leads to the patchouli note then you get a pinch of civet at the basenotes. This gives it a good musky fragrance at the end phase of the scent.

i would seriously buy something that would make people around me gag. 12 sprays!
    A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (19051996)

Most sane people don't want to smell like poop. That much is true, but the whole world of flavors/aromas is sort of different shades of technicolor gray.

For example, sometimes people have nasty feet that smell like parmesan cheese. It's gross. Yet at the same time, one could say that parmesan cheese smells like feet-- yet we put that stuff in our mouths!

I always wondered why I heard all the tuna jokes in junior high. Then eventually, I found out. Crude? Yes. Accurate? Sometimes.

And then when you consider human waste and food, we naturally consider them extreme opposites in many ways, yet they're the same exact material, just before and after. Take broccoli for example. It's loaded with indole, which is a poop smell. I can't stand it when somebody orders steamed broccoli to go, and then just decides to stand around having a conversation. After five minutes that broccoli smells like a poorly maintained men's room. There is a poopy component to broccoli and cruciferous veggies, yet we eat them-- sometimes with parmesan cheese!

Honey and urine are both opposite sides of the same phenolic coin. One man's Miel de Bois is another man's Douche D'Or. Look at the controversy of Kouros. I personally think it's the phenolic honey accord in Kouros that gives people more trouble than the civet. Phenols are also a component of chocolate in conjunction with vanillin; And there is a saying that "You can't make a great chocolate accord without a little shit."

I mean, not to gross you out but next time you eat a candy bar (and I don't mean a Baby Ruth at the bottom of a pool), really try to take note of what's going on in the "basenotes" of that chocolate.

Sometimes when I smell Jicky, I get that straight up civet and it smells kind of dirty, but usually I only perceive that roundness that it gives to the composition. The thing I love about Musc Ravageur is that it's similar to Jicky in this regard. I don't see civet listed as a note in MR, but I definitely think there's a civet note there.

But back to food, seriously think about how much more of these dirty smells are in what you eat. It's everywhere. It's kind of the chicken and the egg. I always wondered what was the appeal of Canteloupe (MUSK-melon) and honeydew melon with Prosciutto... Then one day I bought half a canteloupe, half a honeydew and some high quality prosciutto and when I put them together I nearly died laughing. Those dirty minded Italians! It smelled and tasted like a clean, slighty sweaty salty crotch. Sorry, but it does and if you don't believe me try it for dinner tonight! Seriously, do it. Close your eyes and try not to think about Monica Bellucci.

I do remember one Basenoter a long time ago who did seem to have a constant civet fetish and I think it was some kind of alternative lifestyle thing for him, and it did gross the hell out of me when he'd come on here and start up endless civet threads. I wanted to tell him that this was maybe not the right forum for him. EDIT: I just wanted to reassure everyone that this person I'm speaking of is long gone; banned I think. It's none of you guys!

Last night I was walking my dog, I kept getting this aroma which I would best describe as a "well used hooker eating fried mushrooms". I finally figured out that it was the snowy white blossoms on the trees lining my street. I did a little online research and found that they are called Bradford Pear trees and they're notorious for the offensive smell of their blossoms, which many people to find smells like semen, thus earning them names like "spunk trees" and "semen trees". If I had to name them, I'd call them "jizz blossoms" or "hey-who's-shooting-a-bukkake-film-around-here? trees" Strange, but it also smelled like mushrooms, and I suppose there's a connection there too. Funny how we'd go mushroom hunting for wild morels as kids, and my grandma would call 'em "peckerheads", not that I had any idea at the time why she called them that. Ew.

So anyway, to sum it up, sometimes there are a lot of aromachemicals compounds that are in both the things we put in our bodies and things that come out of our bodies, and we can't let the second process diminish the first. It all goes together.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 1st April 2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: clarification

Why would I spend $50 on a fecal cologne when a bean burrito costs $1.49?

I'm just in awe of Indie's post, and laughing too hard to reply.
    Fantastic. There is really not much more to say after that post.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

nineXseven, your explanation of developing the ability to differentiate and associate scents was beautifully said! Limited association has a way of constraining or truncating our enjoyment of the many aspects of scents and perfumes. The more you smell, the more you can identify the many nuances a scent can evoke. Language also has a way of limiting our understanding I think. There are just so few words to describe what the mind perceives in a scent.

Indie_Guy, you really made me chuckle at your wonderful analysis of this phenomenon... all of it is so true! What a great sense of humour!

My friend likes the smell of his fart. I just find that quite weird, but then I enjoy the smell of oud, which smells like a barnyard. I guess some people have a fetish for dirty scent?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

The most indolic jasmine there is, I understand, is from Bourbon French Perfumes.

http://www.neworleansperfume.com/jasmine.htm

EDIT: Add SL A La Nuit

On indoles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole
    Last edited by Primrose; 31st March 2011 at 11:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Indoles are the component that many refer to as fecal. Indoles are part of feces and white flowers. Indoles have a sweet smell, they're added to vanilla ice cream. As Indie_Guy stated, humans have a highly developed culture of seeking out rotting things.

IndieGuy's post is great. To add something:
    Next time you eat a hard boiled egg think of what it smells like. Farts! They both have hydrogen sulfide which gives it that smell. So now why would we want to eat something that smells like farts? I have no idea.
    As for oud, especially Indian oud, there is a fecal smell to it. The more I have worn oud the more my perception has changed. It doesn't really smell fecal to me anymore. My wife however still thinks it smells like horse poop.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Dzing! and L'ombre fauve have challenging openings! But heart and base notes are amazing!

I personally do not like the smell of feces

Indieguy's post is indeed informative and good.

I am one of those people whose first experience of civet's fecal qualities was of alarmed fascination. I recorded my initial impressions here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...Jicky-Question I still stand by them, having since had a chance to smell it again.

Civet does usually smell of human waste, or of animal decay. I suspect that people not only sense these aspects variously, but also interpret their experiences of them differently. It has been argued that it has something to do with how they sharply strike the limbic system, bypassing conscious volition. But I cannot comment on that, not being a scientifician.

Pluran recently observed of the note's excessive starkness in Chanel's Cuir de Russie that now that the formulation has less of an obscuring veil of birch tar, it has acquired the savour of human saliva, and a fecal quality. I have not smelled the vintage elixir he praises, but I can confirm that this is the case with the present formulation. Yet I find that there is something mesmerising about it, and in what it permits to the overall fragrance. A hard, shimmering quality.

No, I am not a fetishist of the sort Indieguy peturbedly mentions. However, perhaps because of its reminiscence of animal rankness, civet really causes some part of me to Pay Attention. It is like smelling salts, and forces an involuntary response in me. Like fear of death, civet sharpens the mind wonderfully.

I could characterise my response as a startlement similar to slight pain. Whether it turns into distaste, confusion or pleasure depends on how the remainder of the fragrance is composed and interacts with it. To me, Jicky seems ill-balanced. But when the note is used well, my god, it is beautiful. Pain mingled with beauty, precisely akin to when, in listening to certain pieces of music, one thinks, 'Ah, this is so beautiful it hurts me to contemplate it' - but with the added realisation that the pain preceded the beauty, and has been transformed by it into a lens of poignancy.

I also think (you might suppose ludicrously) of Socrates' comment in Phaedo:

Socrates, sitting up on the couch, began to bend and rub his leg, saying, as he rubbed: "How singular is the thing called pleasure, and how curiously related to pain, which might be thought to be the opposite of it; for they never come to a man together, and yet he who pursues either of them is generally compelled to take the other. They are two, and yet they grow together out of one head or stem; and I cannot help thinking that if Aesop had noticed them, he would have made a fable about God trying to reconcile their strife, and when he could not, he fastened their heads together; and this is the reason why when one comes the other follows, as I find in my own case pleasure comes following after the pain in my leg, which was caused by the chain."

Similarly, my disarmed confusion at the decadent (in the sense of decaying) nature of civet changes after the first jagged moment (which is often repeated) into something else - something diametrically opposed, if the remainder of the fragrance is good enough to, so to speak, ease off the initial chain. With Jicky, the chain remains on to some degree; while with Cuir de Russie it falls off after a moment, leaving me, from sheer relief and delight, a little weak at the knees.

I cannot comment on ouds, my experience of them being too slight, but such are my current thoughts on civet.
    Last edited by Merely; 1st April 2011 at 03:25 AM.

It's good to see some mature, thoughtful, and informative posting. This subject tends to bring out reflex reactions in many people that don't necessarily make for particularly interesting or informative reading.

Here's a post of mine from a while back rewritten substantially. I would have simply linked to the original post after some brief introductory comments, but the sorry excuse for a search engine on this site makes it next to impossible to track anything down:

A key constituent of civet is indole, which, along with skatole, is a key aromatic component of human feces. At a certain dilution, indole is highly floral. In fact, indole is actually a key part of the aromatic profile of certain white flowers, jasmine and orange blossoms, to name just two. Civet was a key component of many white-floral accords in classic perfumes because it gave an added dimension, body, and extension to the floral notes of such accords. It literally fixed the floral notes. Civet is one of the great fixatives. Like oakmoss it imparts its own characteristic olfactory aura as it slows down the evaporative rate of the lighter more volatile components in the perfume, and, at the same time, like oakmoss, it leaves these lighter more volatile components essentially unaltered so that they predominate unmasked and unmodified. No synthetic fixative comes close to having this complex effect, and this effect is inseparable from the indolic component of civet.

The ambivalence we feel over the indolic and animalic notes in general is to a large extent caused by the tension these notes create in us as we try to process them olfactorily. Do I like this fecal/animalic smell? Yes I do, but, wait, maybe I don't, but then, again, yes, I do, and before you know it, this vacillation has actually kept one engaged at a very deep olfactory level as one wavers trying to make up one's mind about whether the note is attractive or disgusting. No other type of note creates this kind of ambivalence and tension. It is the tension that arises from this ambivalence that keeps one fascinated by indolic and animalic notes in fragrances. It's a "troubling" attraction. Great perfumers understood this on the most conscious of levels and on the most visceral of levels also. Indolic and animalic notes are also just as powerfully attractive when they exist at a liminal level, and they frequently do in many classic men's and women's fragrances. I have actually found that you can seriously ruin a fragrance for some people (usually men) when you point out the indolic, richly animalic, or even urinous notes to them in a fragrance they like.

Indolic, richly animalic, and even urinous notes when blended well, it should be observed, appeal, at a very deep level, to the primal recognition and attraction of bodily odors by which--in our not so distant past--we used as the main means of identifying and "knowing" our fellow creatures, much like dogs do when they sniff each other. Of course, these bodily odors were very closely tied to sexual attraction. The hippocampus, the smaller primal brain within the brain, is not only the primal seat of emotions, but it is in large part the place in the brain in which smells are processed and hence connected with emotions and with attraction. Smells, especially indolic and animalic smells, connect us to the primal sniffing self. You can't, for the most part, have a neutral reaction to indolic or animalic notes. Notice the responses in this thread. You either love such notes or you "hate" them. Culture, gender, and, of course, the vagaries of human individuality provide the differences by which we all process and react to indolic, urinous, animalic notes in general. (What follows is entirely speculative.) My suspicion, however, is that gender plays a larger role than we imagine. Men generally tend to prefer their animalic notes in the form of leather notes, a somewhat sublimated and bodily removed set of notes that tie them at a primal and cultural level to their hunter origins. Much of this explains, on one level, why there are such strong, diametrically opposed responses to such strongly animalic fragrances like *Kouros* and perhaps, also, why so many women tend to find Kouros an unproblematically attractive fragrance on a man. Of course, women's fragrances have, traditionally, tended to be about seduction and so, not surprisingly, indolic and urinous notes have featured prominently in such fragrances, but for men, I suspect that that attraction is most powerful when it’s liminal. On another very deep level, I suspect women are less troubled by indolic and urinous notes than men because of their experience of and closer proximity and exposure to bodily fluids as a result of the primary role they have historically taken in child rearing.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 1st April 2011 at 02:55 AM.

Scentemental, that was really good, especially your opinions in the last paragraph on gender differences in regard to liminal and subliminal reactions to animalic notes.

There were times when I was very much aroused by women who were wearing indolic/urinous/musky perfumes which on a very conscious level I actually hated. I hated their perfumes, yet their perfumes would generate a physiological response from me. Not only that, some of these women, I'm ashamed to say, were not even attractive at all and I still got turned on against my wishes (but hey, I never said I went home with them!). So as stupid as "panty dropper/boxer dropper" threads are, there is still something to be said for a fragrance having the ability to trigger arousal almost on its own, when worn on any warm body.

Also, I have to agree when you pointed out that many fragrances are ruined for people when you mention the dirty notes of a scent they like. It's like walking a tightrope-- you're fine until you look down. I'd probably have never noticed the cumin in scents like Rose 31, Eau Sauvage, Erolfa, and Baldessarini if I hadn't seen the pyramids-- and not that my nose is so poor that it doesn't detect the cumin, but I've found that cumin is the one note that smells the least like itself inside a composition: It definitely imparts an effect on the fragrance, but it never smells like actual cumin to me.

Also, some people's body odor smells like cumin when they sweat-- mine generally doesn't (unless I've just eaten Indian food), so to me, I don't automatically smell cumin notes and run screaming-- but I avoid them because most people, I've found, have an aversion to them and associate them with dirty armpits. I remember once hopping out of the shower, dabbing on a little Arabie to test it out (and really loving it), heading to work and hearing a bunch of comments like "Who forgot to shower? etc.

You have to think to yourself... A lot of these animalic notes are a bit "out of the way" from the perspective of early perfumers looking for materials. It's a lot easier and more natural to pick a bergamot and squeeze the juice out of it than it is to grab a thrashing angry civet by its low hanging fruit and manage to "harvest" civet paste; I mean cripes, I feel a bit foolish and feckless trying to brush my dog's teeth, but I digress. You have to be determined. You really don't stumble upon civet paste and castoreum by accident, any more than some guy winding up in ER because he "fell and somehow impaled himself on a shampoo bottle in the shower".

All of these materials-- civet, musk, castoreum, hyrax, ambergris, beeswax were all selected for use in perfumery because of their relationship not only to (un)pleasant, primal human odors but also because of their compounds which echo and fortify the ephemeral, sublime qualities in all of the flowers and fruits that smell like we think of as smelling beautiful.

I do find that of all the animalic notes, I find leather the easiest for me to personally wear.

Also, I'm curious, Scentemental, if you know when civet stopped being used in perfumes. I wonder if early formulations of Kouros have it. I have a new bottle of Kouros and a very old (1986) bottle of Kouros Eau de Sport. To me, the civet note seems different in the Eau de Sport-- a lot more natural and warm than my newer bottle of Kouros. Just curious if it could be real civet.

No waste smell for me either.....I have noticed this with certain fragrances.....In the past I have also picked up a BO (body odor) note when sampling that is also a big turn off.....I cannot understand why anyone would want to smell like this!!!
    Gary

I have a small bit of Cambodian oud oil and it can be perceived as either barnyard/fecal or resinous, woody and fruity. My perception flip flops a bit... my brain isn't sure which way to route the information, but the different ways of perceiving the scent provokes VERY different reactions. So saying something smells fecal might not be the way others perceive it. For better or worse, all of our sensory inputs are subject to the brain's interpretive associations.

Also, I like the "troubling" attraction scentemental mentioned... I get that for sure, the ones that do that to me are some of the ones I find most interesting.

For me it's not an issue.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    IndieGuy's post is great.
    I am totally new here, but that was one of the FUNNIEST posts I have ever read, in any forum, ever! A classic worth saving!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    As for oud, especially Indian oud, there is a fecal smell to it. The more I have worn oud the more my perception has changed. It doesn't really smell fecal to me anymore. My wife however still thinks it smells like horse poop.
    I know a number of people (myself not among them) who almost adore the smell of horse manure, especially as opposed to any other kind. I don't find it as offensive as most other manures (goat seems the most innocuous to me), but there is nothing about it that I find particularly attractive either.
    Last edited by akguy; 1st April 2011 at 05:29 AM.

For that matter, Chanel's Cuir de Russie, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky are some of my all-time favs.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yup, I like musky animalic notes.
    Why is a difficult question to answer. I guess I find them comforting. There's a human quality to them that's familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    [COLOR=blue]Here's a post of mine from a while back rewritten substantially. I would have simply linked to the original post after some brief introductory comments, but the sorry excuse for a search engine on this site makes it next to impossible to track anything down
    i agree it is bad. it used to be alright, before the big upgrade. since then i use, and suggest using, google. try this, enter site:basenotes.net and then the search key terms, in google. you can include anything. and this trick works for any site with a bad (or no) search facility.

Sure as hell not me either!

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post

i agree it is bad. it used to be alright, before the big upgrade. since then i use, and suggest using, google. try this, enter site:basenotes.net and then the search key terms, in google. you can include anything. and this trick works for any site with a bad (or no) search facility.
    Nice tip. It works like a charm..
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Hmm, I'm a bit late to this thread but I've not yet experienced any fragrance with anything like a fecal smell. Are there particular fragrances that are supposed to have this? I don't get any fecal elements from Kouros.

Good point, @primrose and @AZsmells.

There are certain compounds which are found in e.g. oud, which are also found in poop.
    Like nineXseven said, if you haven't patiently let your nose decipher the scent spectrum and let it get used to it, you will find the scent 'fecal'. But the more you study the scent, you realize that there is simply something in one little aspect you detect in the other. The scent, in reality, is not poopy.

Jasmine is indolic, but how many of us think 'poop!' when we sniff it?
    And how many of us think 'clary sage!' when we smell so-called ambergris in main-stream perfumery (which is actually ambrox/ambroxan derived from clary sage)? We don't.

I think that since main-stream mass-produced perfumery has made our noses disconnected from natural aromatics, we are thrown off-guard when we come across them. This includes things like castoreum, oud, ambergris, musk...

Don't even get me started on musk........ : )
    Hahaaaa.... if you haven't smelled real musk (from musk deers), you're in for a real surprise! If you're curious and want to try some, PM me, as I have some grains to spare. It makes me happy when I get to share real oud, real ambergris, and real musk with people. Kinda like fighting 'the system', and letting people see how different the real stuff is from what we're used to.

By the way, as your nose gets more used to the bolder ouds out there, you might realize that "pungent and barnyardy" are more accurate descriptions.
    And for the more 'fecal' ouds, they have more of a chocolate note which, combined with pungent+barnyardy, might give the impression of being fecal.

To answer the original question, I do find 'fecal' frags addictive, but like I said they aren't really fecal to me any more.
    More specifically, I find Indian ouds to be addictive, as they're the ones that are typically described as being fecal. I don't wear Indian oud as a fragrance, rather, I use just a tiny dot on the outer side of my lower forearm (good longevity here, plus easy access for the nose) and just sniff for hours and hours.
    When I use Indian oud, it is for me, and not for others. Its not for me to wear, but for me to sniff. If that makes sense!

Incidentally, Indian and Lao oils are the most "fecal" and they happen to be the most psychoactive of all oud oils as well. Once your nose gets over the boldness (shouldn't take more than 1-2 weeks), the scent just grounds you and calms your mind.

Here's a good exegesis of oud oils by geography, on the Olfactory Rescue Service blog: clickety-click.

Ambergris also has an animalic and 'poopy' aspect, and I find that sniffing it also makes me happy for some reason. Something about it tickles the back of my brain in a yummy way.
    And then of course there's the king of all scents, musk. That's about as animalic and poopy as you can get! To my nose (or should I say brain), the most addictive fragrances are and/or contain musk and oud. Natural ones, of course, as the synthetic ones simply capture 1 facet out of a million found in the real thing. Think diamonds.... if you have just one facet and it will look like glass. Have a multi-faceted, brilliantly-cut piece, and it will take your breath away.
    Last edited by tahasyed; 11th April 2011 at 03:09 PM.

i own jazz By ysl
    and i dont get no fecal smell in it
    i read some reviews that it has fecal smell

i also like Black Xs By PR
    there people who have found fecal smell , But i just don't get it

i get sometimes strongs kind of harsh smells
    Burnt smelling

But nothing that smells like caca

Let's come up with some names for fecal-smelling cologne:

Creed Dirty Poop Water
    Hermes Un Jardin Dans Mon Anus
    Bond No. 9 Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    For example, sometimes people have nasty feet that smell like parmesan cheese. It's gross. Yet at the same time, one could say that parmesan cheese smells like feet-- yet we put that stuff in our mouths!
    Great...there goes my plans to have spaghetti for dinner...

Basenotes Institution

I'm so glad scentemental and Indie_guy decided to chime in on this thread. I will repeat what scentemental said, since I have experienced this very exact thing:

The ambivalence we feel over the indolic and animalic notes in general is to a large extent caused by the tension these notes create in us as we try to process them olfactorily. Do I like this fecal/animalic smell? Yes I do, but, wait, maybe I don't, but then, again, yes, I do, and before you know it, this vacillation has actually kept one engaged at a very deep olfactory level as one wavers trying to make up one's mind about whether the note is attractive or disgusting. No other type of note creates this kind of ambivalence and tension. It is the tension that arises from this ambivalence that keeps one fascinated by indolic and animalic notes in fragrances. It's a "troubling" attraction...
    I couldn't agree more.

I think the main attraction for me (and others) with gardenia flowers or tuberose (in nature, that is) is the strong indolic nature of those flowers. You smell it and it stops you in your tracks. Which is why I wear jasmine, gardenia and tuberose scents. It's like I want that smell that 'grabbed' me to be repeated again and again in my fragrance.

I too, in my early BN days, was grossed out by civet prominent fragrances. I mean have many of you smelled Shalimar Eau de Parfum? The fecal note positively leaps out at me, when I smell it, as soon as I put it on. Every time I wear it. But then again, it's gone in a few minutes and what's left is positively wonderful. The EdC is not quite as intense at the top notes, but still...it's amazing that this fragrance which is one of Guerlain's best-sellers is so brash and aggressively civet prominent and this doesn't seem to bother all of the hundreds of thousands of women who own a bottle.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Fresh and Fecal?

So... I was wearing Aventus, and a guy I know asked if someone farted. I never really got that from Aventus, but I suppose if you ignore the piercing pineapple topnotes it is possible to see that connection in the play between the middle and basenotes.

I always thought it had a fresh smell to it, in fact a comment I got from a woman was "Wow, you smell amazing, did you just get out of the shower?". So is this caused by the "ambivalence and tension" mentioned by scentemental and quoted above my Mike? If so, I assume this is done on purpose, and is what provokes the kind of reactions that Aventus gets? Also, are women less "troubled" by men over these associations? It seems like it...

I have never smelled a fragrance that I could truly call fecal. I get sweat, armpits, a** etc. from various frags, but never fecal. Maybe I am anosmic. In another thread, someone mentioned ambrette seed as a fecal note. When I tried the ambrette seed at Le Labo, I could hardly smell anything. But in general, I like the indolic, animalic stuff--just don't overdo it. And I think there is a big difference between sniffing right off the skin compared to the sillage that others would notice--the sillage is really where these frags are the most beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I have never smelled a fragrance that I could truly call fecal. I get sweat, armpits, a** etc. from various frags, but never fecal. Maybe I am anosmic. In another thread, someone mentioned ambrette seed as a fecal note. When I tried the ambrette seed at Le Labo, I could hardly smell anything. But in general, I like the indolic, animalic stuff--just don't overdo it. And I think there is a big difference between sniffing right off the skin compared to the sillage that others would notice--the sillage is really where these frags are the most beautiful.
    Try pure Indian Oud Oil... fecal
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

...the primal recognition and attraction of bodily odors by which--in our not so distant past--we used as the main means of identifying and "knowing" our fellow creatures, much like dogs do when they sniff each other. Of course, these bodily odors were very closely tied to sexual attraction. The hippocampus, the smaller primal brain within the brain, is not only the primal seat of emotions, but it is in large part the place in the brain in which smells are processed and hence connected with emotions and with attraction. Smells, especially indolic and animalic smells, connect us to the primal sniffing self.
    Sorry... but no. This is misinformed. First, you're conflating the olfactory system and the vomeronasal (accessory olfactory) system. The former detects odors. The latter detects pheromones. It is the vomeronasal system that most mammals use to detect relatives (there are exceptions, some odors are learned via imprinting: e.g. human parents can recognize their infants' amniotic fluid (Kaitz et al. 1987 (in Developmental Psychobiology)), but this is NOT mediated by the vomeronasal system, as far as we know, all of the vomeronasal receptor genes in humans are inactive (e.g. Nozawa et al. 2007 (in National Academy of Sciences)). What this means for us is simply that there is little or no evidence that humans as such use pheromonal cues to "recognize" eachother. If by "not so distant past" you are referring to an evolutionary timescale, I don't doubt the possibility of this claim, but I don't think we have much evidence for it anyway, unless you go "far enough into the past" until you find a common ancestor for humans and an extant species that still has functional vomeronasal receptors.

Now, apparently, humans can recognize close kin (mothers and infants) but not unrelated humans (husbands and wives) by odors (Porter et al. 1984 (in Physiology and Behavior)). This suggests that the answer to the question of whether humans can really identify each other on the basis of olfactory cues is "no". i.e. we cannot distinguish between (and therefore recognize either of) two people unrelated to us on the basis of olfactory cues alone. So you'd still have to go "far enough back" to support this claim.

Finally, these statements about the hippocampus do not sit with the data. Sorry. Emotions are a function of the entire limbic system, which consists of several subcortical areas including the hippocampus, amygdala, hypothalamus, fornix, olfactory bulb, mammilary bodies, parahippocampal and cingulate gyri. The hippocampus is primarily implicated in DECLARATIVE MEMORY FORMATION. It DOES NOT receive innervation directly from the olfactory bulb. The olfactory bulb has connections to the entorhinal cortex and the piriform cortex, and these two areas have projections to the hippocampus.

On the other hand, olfactory information appears to be consciously processed in the orbitofrontal cortex, and much of the relevant "subliminal" processing occurs at the level of the AMYGDALA (implicated in fear, anger and reward), which is directly innervated by the olfactory bulb (olfaction is the only sensory modality with this property, hence the strong emotional "component" of olfaction).

Just wanted to clear this up. If the language sounds aggressive, it was't directed at scentemental--just his claims.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I'm just in awe of Indie's post, and laughing too hard to reply.
    Fantastic. There is really not much more to say after that post.

-Slim
    +1000 - Rarely do I lol while reading posts, but this one had me laughing in each paragraph.