Code of Conduct
    a place where you can find sweet lovely rain on a scorching desert

Cool Diorella lover, anyone?

Good day to all Basenoters!

I was happy that I received my Diorella EDT this evening. I bought it for USD 48, it's a tester version and it came without the original box and cover. When I took out the bottle from its box, I was a bit surprised coz it has different looks than the one I saw & tested in the mall. But later after that I found out it's vintage version. You can check the picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I must say that I prefer this version compared to the one I've tested before. Anyone could share their story and preference of old or new version of Diorella?

I guess Diorella is my other option for Cristalle by Chanel since my pocket doesn't allow me to have Cristalle right now.

And can some please tell me if Diorissimo, Dioressence and Miss Dior has any similarity with Diorella? Which one you like the most?

Really appreciate you feedback. Thanks

[IMG]

Default Re: Diorella lover, anyone?

I, too, love the old Diorella. Newer versions (and there have been many) have been too sweet or too melon or too much like "wet dog". Diorella was my "go to" fragrance. It was perfect in all seasons and for all occasions. I loved the soaring bergamot, the salty oakmoss & the wonderful patchouli. All of those ingredients are now banned or restricted by the new regulations regarding perfumes. Treasure your vintage bottle. I currently have two different versions and I am not happy with either one. And no, the other Dior's are nothing like Diorella. For that matter, there is no fragrance in existence like the old Diorella. It was unique.

Thanks for the diorella discussion. After reading LT's review, I've also wanted to try, but, as with most Diors, I was afraid of the reformulations. Now I know I should be.

I have tried the new Diorissimo. It should have been a muguet in the past, so nothing like Diorella anyway, but the version I smelled was bathroom cleaner. I also smelled Dioressence at the store, and it must have been the intermediate version described by LT (worse that the old, much better that the newest one).

After seeing online some old houndstooth Dior bottles, it suddendly came to mind that my mom had something like that on her shelf when I was a child. Unfortunately, they're long gone.

cacio

I love Diorella as well. I have a version that's newer than the one you have, but not either of the latest two bottles. I have a version of Dioressence that's in a similar bottle to your Diorella. I haven't smelled Cristalle yet, but I do hear the comparisons a lot. Whats interesting is that none of these were love at first spray. Each of the classic Diors come on pretty strong straight out of the bottle, but as they develop on me they smell heavenly.

Boy these conversations make me want to buy up more and more vintage versions of all these classic Diors.

you're lucky to get the old instead of the new! the other dior fragrances you mention, they are different, they where composed by other people. they have no real relation to diorella (edmond roudnitska), but there is a relationship between dioressence (guy robert) and miss dior (paul vacher and jean carles). all three are great, but especially with the other two, it has to be the vintage. those oval shaped splash bottles, you can still find them on ebay every now and then.

Blog Entries

I own and sometimes use Diorella, but there is something about the citrus that bothers me. I will keep trying though.

a place where you can find sweet lovely rain on a scorching desert

Thank you so much for the reply. I agree with vintage*red and elizrj. It's pretty strong and loud at first, but it will bloom and show its beauty if we put enough patience to know it. I tried to put spritz some on my skin last night before I went to bed and I can say I love this version much more than the one I tested before in the mall. The latest version seems lack on punch or simple personality, and somewhat mellow for me. Unlike the vintage version I slept with last night, it's bold and more depth in its composition. Vintage*red was right, it's unique!

Elizrj, you should try Cristalle EDP. You will be surprised when you find out its similarity with Diorella after long hour wearing. Ok, maybe not exactly the same. But to me it's like dejavu.

I'm going to find out more about Miss Dior, Diorissimo and Dioressence later. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to find the vintage version of them.

Be careful with vintage Diorissimo and Miss Dior: They tend to go off in the topnotes.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Banned

Diorella is in my top-10 of all time perfumes - stunning, stunning, stunning. I'm also pretty well versed in vintage Dior generally. The bottle you bought is a vintage tester (as you correctly determined), made anytime from the 70s through the 80s (I'd have to see the atomizer up close to differentiate within this time period). It's tough to tell the color of the perfume because of your hand holding the bottle, but from what I can tell the color looks correct, meaning there's a good chance the perfume is in good shape. Diorella tends to be a pretty hearty fragrance and doesn't fade easily, but if you come across a bottle that has become orange in color there's a good chance the life of the fragrance will be shorter on the skin. Diorella did very well through various reformulations until the most recent, which should be avoided at all costs. The oldest Diorellas do have a woodier base and somewhat richer heartnotes, but they aren't so different as to require buying these old versions if you have a more recent one you're happy with.

Dior is a wonderful house full of history that deserves to be explored every bit as much as Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, Lanvin, etc. You don't see as many vintage Dior collectors as you do these other houses, but the collectors (such as myself) are passionate and prices can get a tad silly on some versions of some perfumes while others can be had quite cheaply. The fragrances most like Diorella are the others in the same 'melon chypre' theme that recurred throughout Roudnitska's works. Try Diorama (the re-issue is well done) as well as Parfum de Therese (Frederic Malle) and Dior-Dior (if you can find a sample), all of which share some DNA with Diorella. The other classic Diors are quite different. The super-fast descriptions: Diorissimo = lily of the valley/floral, Dioressence = spicy oriental, Miss Dior = leather chypre, Eau Fraiche = citrus chypre, Dior Dior = animalic floral, Diorama = huge floral, Diorling = leather chypre. If you're interested in samples of vintage Diors drop me a note.

(if you look at this picture of a few of the Diorellas in my collection, the 54ml EdT (houndstooth bottle in middle) has turned slightly orange, the other EdTs are the 'correct' yellow color. The 15ml parfum (front) is more orange, but this is the correct color for the early parfum).

Diorella is one of my favorite warm weather scents (I also love Cristalle, Guerlain Vetiver and Eau de Campagne). I haven't tried the current version but I love vintage parfum and EDC.
    All the vintage Diors I have tried are little gems, but Diorella and Dioressence remain my faves.
    Diorella is a very typical Roudnitska scent. You should try Eau Sauvage and Le Parfum de Therese and smell the similarities.

I own a bottle of Diorella. Haven't really given it a full wearing coz I intend to use it in the coming summer. It is indeed a beautiful fragrance! Mine, I believe is the reformulated version though. Still, it's good!

Oh gosh, I love old Dior. I think the modern Diorella is pretty good, but the vintage is smokier to my nose.

I love Dior Dior in the same way. It's the floral (narcissus) version of Diorella, or at least it's easy to tell they're both in the same family. Dior Dior has the same sort of...intimate body spiciness that Diorella has on me.