Code of Conduct

Default Oud Malinau Full Review

Oud Malinau is a sample of oud I purchased from Agar Aura. I finally had a chance to try this oud more in depth for the past few days. I initially did not like this one, but in the past day or so it grew on me, and I now I realized that I enjoy this type of oud more than the Cambodian style oud.

One tiny drop on the wrist, and rubbed it all over my arms. Close my eyes, and take a big sniff and you can feel your nose all the way down to your lungs opened up. Just a very weird feeling, but very relaxing and pleasant. I guess it's because I have not experienced such feeling before. It feels like you're in the middle of a green rain forest in Southeast Asia. The scent is a fresh green and a very woody scent that is very beautiful. The scent just calms the mind. Furthermore, you can smell a clean rich earthy soil in the back ground that further increases that feeling of being in a rain forest.

There has never been a scent that has done this to me before. It's just calms the mind, physically, emotionally, and yes I have to say spiritually. After a long day of work, a tiny drop of this kind of oud can really release my stress.

I now can conclude that this is the kind of oud that I like. The Cambodian oud is ok too, but that kind of oud is really dark, anilmalic and it does not give me an uplifting feeling which I like from this type of oud.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Oud Malinau Full Review

cambodi is my favorite! spend some more time with it!

so ever smell that in a montale? I wonder what type of oud montale uses? Borneo? cambo? hindi?

cambodi isnt anamalic at all! wait till you try a hindi! wooooooo! I get smells like a stable alot!...but like the Borneo it grows on you! they all do! thats the magic! I cant wait till you try the cambodi a couple more times then come back in and say you love it! I need some cambodi at least twice a week! I know when I need some when I can smell it without wearing it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    cambodi is my favorite! spend some more time with it!

so ever smell that in a montale? I wonder what type of oud montale uses? Borneo? cambo? hindi?

cambodi isnt anamalic at all! wait till you try a hindi! wooooooo! I get smells like a stable alot!...but like the Borneo it grows on you! they all do! thats the magic! I cant wait till you try the cambodi a couple more times then come back in and say you love it! I need some cambodi at least twice a week! I know when I need some when I can smell it without wearing it.
    I don't dislike the Cambodian Oud, but at the moment I just enjoy the Borneo a little more. I know that the more I visit the Cambodian oud I will learn to like it and appreciate it more. So do you get the same journey experience with oud as I do? That feeling that takes you right to the middle of a jungle?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

When you smell this Malinau Oud...this is where it takes you....

and here's a video of the place...

My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I have had malinau for about 8 months now. I wore it a couple times. But I am waiting for it to age a bit more. Taha usually gets young ouds....cambodi royal excluded.... Wait to smell that oud malinau a few months from now! I had his last borneo and I hated it at first...but after a year of aging it became one of the smoothest nicest borneos I ever smelled!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

I have had malinau for about 8 months now. I wore it a couple times. But I am waiting for it to age a bit more. Taha usually gets young ouds....cambodi royal excluded.... Wait to smell that oud malinau a few months from now! I had his last borneo and I hated it at first...but after a year of aging it became one of the smoothest nicest borneos I ever smelled!
    So did you get a sample or the bottle of the Malinau. Also, when you age it, do you keep it in a cool dark place like wine?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I have a whole bottle. I have pretty much everything from agaraura in the last 3 years.....and all of them get much much better with age! They blend together and become so smooth it's insane! And I know malinau will be incredible by the summer! Because it's really good now!
    Now for aging it all depends on the oud. The other Borneo on his site...if it's still there Borneo jewel was a really young oud. He like just got it made when I bought it. I put that under a desk lamp like a couple inches away for 6 hours a day for like 10 days last June. That alone made it alot smoother. Then I just put the cap back on and it's been sitting since. Once in a while I take the cap off for a couple hours to get the moisture out. Let it breath. Now that one should be really good by next Summer.

That's the thing with tahas ouds. They are really good when you get them, but even more amazing when you age them!

my stuff for sale!

I have a whole bottle. I have pretty much everything from agaraura in the last 3 years.....and all of them get much much better with age! They blend together and become so smooth it's insane! And I know malinau will be incredible by the summer! Because it's really good now!
    Now for aging it all depends on the oud. The other Borneo on his site...if it's still there Borneo jewel was a really young oud. He like just got it made when I bought it. I put that under a desk lamp like a couple inches away for 6 hours a day for like 10 days last June. That alone made it alot smoother. Then I just put the cap back on and it's been sitting since. Once in a while I take the cap off for a couple hours to get the moisture out. Let it breath. Now that one should be really good by next Summer.

That's the thing with tahas ouds. They are really good when you get them, but even more amazing when you age them!

Question for you. When you used this oud oils. How much do you apply and where? What method do you use? Do you avoid skin contact with the oil?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

I bought Borneo Jewel when it first came out and at that time it smelled really sharp and grassy. It has aged very well and has a nice vanilla note in it now. I haven't opened my Oud Malinau in awhile but I agree with dred that AgarAura ouds need time to age. Oriscent ages their ouds longer before selling them so they usually smell more complete when you purchase them but they also have a higher price. Not to mention Taha's customer service with AgarAura is great.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I bought Borneo Jewel when it first came out and at that time it smelled really sharp and grassy. It has aged very well and has a nice vanilla note in it now. I haven't opened my Oud Malinau in awhile but I agree with dred that AgarAura ouds need time to age. Oriscent ages their ouds longer before selling them so they usually smell more complete when you purchase them but they also have a higher price. Not to mention Taha's customer service with AgarAura is great.
    How do you use your oud oil? How much do you apply? Thanks....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

For a new Borneo oud, Oud Malinau is very, very good. I personally like it as much or even more than the either of the two new Oriscent reissues of Borneo 3000 or the new Oud Royale. I totally agree with Dred above about aging of Borneo ouds - all ouds for that matter improve with time. But the Borneo ouds age very well and improve with time noticeably. The psychoactive effect of Borneo ouds or some might call it a spiritual aspect comes from the peculiar quality that these particular ouds have in the drydown or basenotes. Instead of drydown in the base, they dry up or elevate in scent tone. The vibration of the scent elevates gradually as they dry and settle on the skin. Give this oud two years in the bottle and it will be legendary - take my word for it. I've watched this happen with Oriscent ouds too. For the price, Oud Malinau is a very nice oud. Not all ouds improve as much with aging. Some of the Indian ouds I have don't seem to grow in the bottle as much. I have some ouds that improve a bit with age for a year or so, then just stop improving. But Borneo ouds seem to keep growing in deepness and elevating quality the more they age.

Yeah I had tahas Borneo bloom from like 3 years ago....I hated it! Smelled like gasoline on my skin! I didn't touch it for a good year or more! One day I put a drop on and I thought someone replaced it with the old B3000! It was amazing! Sweet vanilla! Incredible!
    Like BP said malinau is so good now that I have a feeling it's going to be a ledgend in a year! It's already been aging for about 7 months. I might have used 3 drops! I am not touching it for another 5 months.
    I didn't lamp malinau like I did jewel. Jewel was so new it was raw! Malinau is already incredible even a little age should make it amazing!

When I use oud I usually apply just a drop on my forearm. Or both. Try and spread it a little with the stick but leave it wet so I can smell the phases of the drydown. Takes an hour or so to try and you have to be careful you don't wipe it off.

my stuff for sale!

Yeah I had tahas Borneo bloom from like 3 years ago....I hated it! Smelled like gasoline on my skin! I didn't touch it for a good year or more! One day I put a drop on and I thought someone replaced it with the old B3000! It was amazing! Sweet vanilla! Incredible!
    Like BP said malinau is so good now that I have a feeling it's going to be a ledgend in a year! It's already been aging for about 7 months. I might have used 3 drops! I am not touching it for another 5 months.
    I didn't lamp malinau like I did jewel. Jewel was so new it was raw! Malinau is already incredible even a little age should make it amazing!

When I use oud I usually apply just a drop on my forearm. Or both. Try and spread it a little with the stick but leave it wet so I can smell the phases of the drydown. Takes an hour or so to try and you have to be careful you don't wipe it off.
    thanks for the tips on how to appy it...so does the Jewel smell similar to the Malinau?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

No not really. They are both borneos but they are opposite spectrum borneos. Malinau is more typical Borneo. Jewel is more raw. More earthy.

my stuff for sale!

No not really. They are both borneos but they are opposite spectrum borneos. Malinau is more typical Borneo. Jewel is more raw. More earthy.
    I need to try the Jewel next time....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man