Code of Conduct

Default Do You Have a Fragrance Simply Because it Reminds You of Someone?

I was talking to a friend this morning who told me that his mother, who passed away not too long ago, always wore Giorgio of Beverly Hills. He said he keeps a bottle of it just so he can remember her. I'd like to get a bottle of Norell for the memories of my grandmother ... Anyone else keep a fragrance just for the memories?

Default Re: Do You Have a Fragrance Simply Because it Reminds You of Someone?

Just goes to show how powerful scents can be on our emotions.

I love L'uomo by Trussardi because it reminds me of my Grandfather. Not that he wore it but it smells so much like him. Incredibly so. I remember picking tomatoes whenever I went to see him as a kid. I always have some and use it sparingly as it's discontinued.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of family, i think it is a good idea but if you were keeping fragrances because a special someone liked them or wore it, i think that is a bit unhealthy. It does not do, to dwell in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Speaking of family, i think it is a good idea but if you were keeping fragrances because a special someone liked them or wore it, i think that is a bit unhealthy. It does not do, to dwell in the past.
    It's fine if you are over it. I made a point of wearing my ex partner's cologne for sometime to remind me of him, once the storm passed and I keep a samle of my mother's favourite perfume (K de Krizia) with me all the time.
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

To dwell in the past, no. But to visit every once in a while is fine. Which is why I have a small bottle of Chanel No. 5 which belonged to my sainted mother. This little bottle was given to her by my father. She kept that little bottle and would refill it as necessary, but she loved the little bottle. Now, I keep it.

i have a bottle of nikos sculptrure homme cuz it reminds me of school and friends

I haven't held on to a fragrance specifically because of someone I have lost in my life.

Blog Entries

A big part of the love of fragrance is the power it has to evoke memories. lf that is unhealthy, then most of us here should be seeking medical advice!

l have a bottle of Black XS that an ex of mine wore. We were very much in love but parted amicably because of circumstances which l won't go into. But my memories of him & our time together are good ones, & l like to revisit them occasionally. One can move on from one's past, but l don't think one should forget it altogether, it's what made us who we are.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Estee Lauder's Beautiful reminds me of my first love, and first heartbreak. RL Safari reminds me of my ex-wife. But I don't own these fragrances - I simply don't need the fragrances to revisit those memories. I embrace 'lost loves' as a part of my life, not something to be buried & forgotten. I know I'm capable of loving many but equally capable of staying committed to a single person. But such commitment doesn't extend towards fragrances.

My mum used to wear L'eau D'Issey for Women but I dunno if i'll be able to replicate the exact smell that reminds me of her and love :/
    Looking to buy: Terre d'Hermes 3.3 EDT! Lemme know!

L'eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake. My wife (who I had just started seeing at the time) bought a bottle of Issey Miyake for my birthday. Quite a step up from Nautica and Tommy Hilfiger.

My answer is no!!!
    Gary

I don't have a scent that reminds me of someone simply because I haven't found that scent yet; I wish I could. Having said that I do wear Neroli Portifino because it reminds me of my nan, even though she didn't wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    It's fine if you are over it. I made a point of wearing my ex partner's cologne for sometime to remind me of him, once the storm passed and I keep a samle of my mother's favourite perfume (K de Krizia) with me all the time.
    I also have a bottle of that my ex used to wear

I usually keep fragrances or even purchase them in the first place not so much because of or thanks to a certain person, but far more due to a set of memories dear and valuable to me, which may or may not be associated with actual persons

Arpege pH
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale