Code of Conduct

Default How is the Boss house generally perceived in the fragrance community?

Just wondered what sort of reputation this house has with most people in general as I smelt a fair few Boss fragrances today and some left a really good impression on me. May have to go on a Boss binge sooner or later!

Banned

Default Re: How is the Boss house generally perceived in the fragrance community?

I can't recall one truly interesting Boss fragrance, new or old.

Default Re: How is the Boss house generally perceived in the fragrance community?

Bad.

Mediocre safe scents. Lacoste and Polo get mentioned much more here and they're considered below average, Boss almost never gets mentioned. Chanel is pretty much the only designer house that makes safe generic fragrances, but still has a decent reputation.

Just for your info, the scents I tried from Boss today were

Boss bottled - came really close to buying it

Boss bottled night - SA REALLY tried to push this one

Boss in motion, white edition - Probably revisit this one again some time

Boss orange - SA didn't seem interested in promoting this one even though it's the new boy. Smelt nice enough, but get the impression it might be fairly weak?

Came away with D&G Light Blue Pour Homme. Fairly spicy for an aquatic fragrance IMO and more interesting than most in that genre. I reckon the girls will be liking this one for some reason. Guess we'll soon see! lol!

Not very good. The Baldessarini scents are the best of the line (Baldessarini and Amber), and they're not really great. I've had most of the Boss scents. I said HAD.

I worked at Boots over Christmas here in Canterbury, and I can tell you that Boss is crazy popular. To me, so many of them smell similar and generic that it makes sense that they're so popular. People would come in looking for something for their husband/boyfriend/fiance/friend/dad whatever. If I took them to something slightly masculine or something a bit quirky they would all go 'nahhhhh thats too crazy, I dont think he'd like that'. Take them to a Boss frag (especially bottled, bottled night and hugo) and they would all go 'yeah thats great'.

I think its just the plain neutral mediocraty of their fragrances which people find appealing because when you buy this for someone their immediate reaction won't be one of complete love or hate. Theyre just completely safe.

I think I ended up hating this house because as much as I tried to push D&G The One, Dior Homme, La Nuit, Black XS and so on, people ALWAYSSS ended up going for Boss Bottled.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zubbbrastyle View Post
    ... as much as I tried to push D&G The One, Dior Homme, La Nuit, Black XS and so on, people ALWAYSSS ended up going for Boss Bottled.
    That's just sad!

Sur la Plage

They started off great with Boss No 1, but it has been downhill ever since (not including Baldessarini).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My brother and a few of my friends will only wear Boss , its like there's nothing else on the market as far as they are concerned ... strange

One of my first fragrances was Boss #1 (still love it) and I have been compelled to try each of them since. I also love and own Boss Bottled and the new Boss Orange. I own a few others, but they aren't worth mentioning. Yet, they aren't terrible scents either. Most of them have excellent longevity.

With the exceptions of No. 1 and Bottled, they range from mediocre to crap.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

With the exception of the original Boss Elements; bland and uninteresting.

Not a fan at all of this house.

Mediocre/boring/middle-of-the-road

I also hear alot of negative comments about the Boss house. Personally, I think their summer scents are rather nice. They maybe could beef up their winter frags, but In Motion is quite good as well.

With the exception of Boss Bottled (I think it's called No 6, don't care enough to look it up), I haven't smelled anything by them that I like. Even that's a pretty safe smell. It also seems like the worst offenders of wearing too much cologne are almost always wearing Hugo by Hugo Boss.

Not a fan.

I'm wearing Boss #1 today. I also have the original, before it became #1. I sampled a couple of others but only like the first idea. At least the reformulation of it was okay.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd April 2011 at 03:57 AM.

On the one hand, if you are in the industry, as Procter & Gamble's cash cow when it comes to licensed global brands for cosmetic products. On the other hand, as mediocre scents for the average global consumer looking for fragrances due to the branding, lest the quality of the blends.

Boss Bottled (aka #6) gets a fair amount of love here.

In the real world Boss sells more bottles compared with most other brands.
    For me Boss Bottled is an exceptable good scent.I also admit that I liked Baldessarini but I also was trapped in that ,,not for the boy's" slogan(I am a bit older,let's say old)Well,its just a personal matter but I admit that I am not very interested in Boss anymore.The Pure,the Orange,the blue,black,green and orange ball's,no,not for me.

Last edited by Descartes; 1st April 2013 at 01:20 AM.

[/QUOTE=Descartes;2130047]big shit[/QUOTE]

+1... or better still BIG SHIT

Please don't misunderstand us, you are free to like whatever you fancy. But do some sniffing and be open minded about it, you will soon discover that branding, pricing, distribution, packaging and advertising does not have anything to do with the blend's quality.
    Last edited by Pollux; 2nd April 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Most of my fragrance-aficionado friends, some of whom even officials and/or owners in the fragrance industry, have a very low opinion about Hugo Boss, which I do not share entirely, since I consider Boss No. 1, Elements and Elements Aqua, plus Boss Bottled and almost the whole Balderssarini lineup quite close to masterpieces

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    They started off great with Boss No 1, but it has been downhill ever since (not including Baldessarini).
    +1. The only Boss fragrance with a certain style and class is the original Boss no.1. It still smells great!

They need to spend less money on celebrity ad campaigns and more on their fragrance formulas.

Maybe come up with some new names while they're at, because I couldn't tell one apart from the other if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    With the exceptions of No. 1 and Bottled, they range from mediocre to crap.
    I was going to say just that.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I haven't tried them all, but the only one that made a positive impression on me was Boss Soul. That stated, I didn't feel it was bottle worthy. I wonder what I would think of it now?

Basenotes Plus

One of those "Who cares for quality when you can just market the hell out of any bottled old crap?" designer houses.

After repeated disappointments, I don't even bother with their latest fragrance releases.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Just wondered what sort of reputation this house has with most people in general as I smelt a fair few Boss fragrances today and some left a really good impression on me. May have to go on a Boss binge sooner or later!
    As the Creed "house" the Boss "house" has a history in serving dictators, royal autocrats (Creed) or otherwise (Boss):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss

As a style aware person You most probably knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    [/QUOTE=Descartes;2130047]big shit
    +1... or better still BIG SHIT

Please don't misunderstand us, you are free to like whatever you fancy. But do some sniffing and be open minded about it, you will soon discover that branding, pricing, distribution, packaging and advertising does not have anything to do with the blend's quality.[/QUOTE]
    +2

Total C R A P! Hate it!

"fookin shite" - Adam Hills
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

fountain

in my humble opinion, baldessarini and baldessarini strictly private aside, there's nothing to write home about.
    Last edited by fountain; 12th April 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Bad and boring...

Boss Bottled is the only one I wear, but not often. It is safe, but too sweet. The others are not recommended.

Blog Entries

Hugo Boss is responsible for the death of powerhouse.

Hugo delenda est!

Pretty bad and way too overworn in the UK. Boss Bottled is the only fragrance I smell on other people, I'm not even joking.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    Pretty bad and way too overworn in the UK. Boss Bottled is the only fragrance I smell on other people, I'm not even joking.
    Very true. Anyone in any gym in UK wears Boss or Le Male. And yet, between two evils, I'd still go for Boss
    Quite a bit of bashing here, unfortunately deserved. Seriously boring colognes, except Boss #1, which however didn't quite age well
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Boss Bottled was nice. Have to admit I've bought a second bottle even!
    I found the others too generic.