Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default All invited *** Sniff'n'Speak Saturday, April 2, 2011 *** FLORAL

Quarry had a rough week. She will put bells and whistles tomorrow, I hope.

It is our first weekend of each month when we synchronize in wearing scents belonging to one of the traditional categories. April, traditionally, is dedicated to FLORAL scents. They can include as exotic or as common blooms and blossoms as you please. Green florals, quirky florals, intoxicating florals, inoffensive and office appropriate florals too. Even intimate florals will do.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff'n'Speak Saturday, April 2, 2011 *** FLORAL

Oh yes!
    The first weekend in April came FAST!!!
    I will wear some florals over the weekend. I have plenty to test for the first time as well as plenty to wear as a FB material from decants.

Interestingly, I would say that floral is my favorite category, but my FBs aren't mostly comprised from florals. No, no, no, not at all.

Blog Entries

Not too many florals I like to wear.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Yes! I have already been looking through my supply.... I am wavering between vintage Jolie Madame, (cool violets) and Chloé Eau de Fleurs Néroli. Which smells like Néroli...
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

I'm not really a floral girl either
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

The florals I love, I really love- It will be tough decision tomorrow.

cutting and pasting- i see that my choices mostly carry themes of creamy flowers or spicy roses:
    Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea
    First Pemiere Bouquet by Van Cleef and Arpels
    After My Own Heart
    Après L'ondée
    Diorissimo
    Fleur de Diva
    Giselle Carla Fracci
    Gold Donna Karan
    In Love Again Jasmine Etoile Yves Saint Lauren
    La Môme Pierre Balmain
    New York Fling Bond No. 9
    Quelques Fleurs Royale Houbigant
    Rose Kashmirie Les Parfums de Rosine
    Roses and More (1998)
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Thanks Twolf, l was looking for this thread last night & wondering if Quarry was ok. l don't know the situation but if you're reading this Quarry l hope the weekend brings an improvement for you!

Florals are my very favourite category, l have several to choose from. l've only just surfaced today so l'll report back when l've decided what to go with. lt might be Tuberose Gardenia, which l usually save for summer holidays, & l haven't written a review of yet so l've been meaning to revisit it soon. Then again, it might be one of my newer samples, or one of my beloved tropical florals, or my favourite monster jasmine, Jasmin Full... Decisions, decisions!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My floral scent of choice is Midnight Violet. Before I tested this I couldn't stomack violet as a note at all...I thought. Turns out I also enjoy them in Feminite du bois and Bois de Violette. I guess I need a green or dry extra element to the scent pyramide. This scent is absolutely lovely, and too bad it's discontinued

Well by chance today I wore Apres L'Ondee in parfum. Heady rich heliotrope, despite the descriptions of it being a violet/iris it for me really is all about the heliotrope.

I like my florals with a large dose of heliotrope so L'Heure Bleu and Apres L'Ondee fit the bill. I don't do fruity florals, but the big blousey in your face, Shelly Winters gone to seed but stil loud and proud.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

((Quarry)) - I hope you are alright!
    I wore Fracas in all it's loud tuberose and orange blossom fulsome self.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Well, by chance today I am synchronized in the Body Shop Moringa Body Butter and was planning to add some more floral-y scent later.

The Moringa is very nice- while the body wash is very light in spirit, the cream is, well, creamier smelling, a little heavier. Moringa must be something like orange blossom/gardenia, or perhaps this is just an imaginary scent based on how the flowers look, since the cream is based on the seeds, not the flowers? Very nice in any case, and decidedly floral.

Happen to have a sample of Bond's new Madison Square Park so decided to test and be in sync today. Like many of Bond's scents (with a few very notable exceptions), this one is turning out to be a disappointment. Advertising is better than the scent. In fact, it may turn out to be a scrubber for me.

Update: Blergh. I'm pretty sure huckleberry and rose is not a combo I want to smell on myself ever again!
    Last edited by bogsc; 2nd April 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Donna Karan Gold

In the mood for a lily, and this fills my need quite nicely.

Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hope Mrs Q is feeling more herself this morning

Last edited by Lessa; 2nd April 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Glad I logged on this morning before I got dressed, as the first Saturday snuck up on me too. I wasn't sure what I was going to wear, then remembered Tea Rose by the Perfumer's Workshop. Perfect! Applied a little heavier than I usually do, as I can barely breathe (cold? allergies?). Smells like roses in the garden to me. I don't think florals are my favorites, but I don't mind smelling like a rose garden all day!

Basenotes Plus

Big hugs to Quarry and anyone else who could use them. xoxo

Serge Lutens Datura Noir. Thick, creamy florals. Tropical but avoids the suntan oil cliche. Dizzying, intoxicating, yet it somehow wears closely and softly (on me, at least.)

Notes: mandarin peel, apricot, lemon flower, datura flower, tuberose, osmanthus, coconut, heliotrope, myrrh, bitter almond, vanilla, tonka bean, musk
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Blog Entries

Decided to go with Van Cleef & Arpels' Gardenia Petale, from their Collections Extraordinaire. l've had this sample for a few months & was saving a full wearing for springtime, so today's the day!
    lt opens as a soft, green floral with no sharp edges, & settles into a very creamy, true gardenia. Unusually for a "gardenia" fragrance, l don't detect any tuberose at all! The sillage is good for the first couple of hours, after that it wears close to the skin. The first time l tested it, it lasted 6-7 hours on me, but appears to be fading faster today.
    lt's very expensive, but as a gardenia lover l'm seriously considering a FB of this. l think it would work better sprayed than dabbed from a vial. Of course Tuberose Gardenia is just as beautiful with its' radiant sillage, but l love the creaminess of this. Good quality & very nice!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A staggering, leaning, bone-crushing hug now being thrust upon Twolf. I guess my battle with city hall has really wiped my mind for little else.
    But an SnS is just what I need — will seek out an unsampled sample of a floral and report back.

♥ ♥ ♥
    For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I decided on: Chloe Eau de fleurs, Néroli for today.
    A lot of Néroli, naturally, it has a lovely musky drydown. Very long lasting on my skin too. I especially want to know what the BF thinks of it, we'll be in the car in an hour or so so he will be confronted big time.
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Florals! I do adore florals. Determined to experience a new one this morning, I was delighted to discover the long-discontinued Fresh Violet Moss amongst the gifties from flathorn (lordie, what can I send her to let her know how grateful I am?). Being prone to violet anosmia, I've been straining and training my nose to develop receptors to appreciate the note. I've made some progress, and this application of VM is advancing that quest. It's lovely and natural and not at all candied sweet like some formulations. My favorite violet scents to date are Bois de Violette and Violette Precieuse. (Yeah, right, let's make some of the most fleeting scents among the more expensive, eh?)
    Today's SnS reminds me … how pleasing are violets.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I wore Songes not because it is my favorite floral, but because it's my most floral floral, if you see what I mean. It's a beautiful fragrance but too big for me. It's nice to have an excuse to put it on and revel in it. I feel completely out of control. Maybe I should wear it more often!
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Yay florals! I chose I Profumi di Firenze (sp?) Caterina di Medici. One of my faves.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

OK I ended up trying Midnight Flower from Neil Morris. For a couple of hours, orange juice! Then floral, yes, I can't smell what kind(s) but that's inexperience most likely. It's fading now, still floral-ey. Theoretically this scent has patchouli & stuff at the base but I can't smell it on me, or perhaps should have shaken the sample before spraying?

It's been good smelling straight through for sure.

The weather went from hot yesterday to coastal foggy and chilly today. Perfect for something like Carla Fracci's Giselle EDP.

She's a big sweet creamy white floral- with semi- gourmand basenotes, making it a touch Floriental. Although named after a character in ballet- this Giselle to my nose is a big-boned tango dancer with curves; not a bony, emaciated, flat chested prima ballerina.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Ya'll smell like a beautiful, ecclectic garden!

I wore La Chasse Aux Papillons
    Notes: Linden blossom, lemon tree blossom, orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose

What a pretty scent! I'd like to also try the "extreme" version which adds ylang-ylang, I think? It's the first L'Artisan that works for me. Very pretty, very Spring! I am kinda digging linden, which is new to me but in a few scents I've sampled recently (including the gorgeous linden accord by DSH). I'm primed and ready for Andy's Zeta! Lol
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Aaah, florals! Today I am wearing Nina Ricci Coeur Joie, a dusky sort of floral, much like L'Air du Temps which it precedes by a few years, but darker, spicier, and more powdery. Tonight I am thinking of wearing Amouage Gold. ((I'm thinking about you, Quarry.))

For me, it is YSL's Paris.

This is the EDT but its sillage and longevity are more like and EDP. I have loved this since its launch in 1983.

RIch florals that I return to time and time again:

(From NST) Notes of mimosa, geranium, bergamot, mayflower, hawthorn, juniper, Damascus rose, May rose, violet, sandalwood, iris, amber and musk.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Just read today's topic. This is a great excuse for me to break out Roger & Gallet Imperial Bouquet. Been craving it lately. Good one for tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to breaking out florals for spring. Silver Mountain Water, too. Love that one.

Basenotes Institution

My second day in Hampton Sun Privet Bloom, made by the American skin-care company back in 2005. I have been having this sample from 30R for about two years now and I would sniff it every now and then always fiding a reason not to give it a day of full wear.

The official set of notes is: Lemon verbena, lily of the valley, jasmine, dune rose, white hyacinth, privet blossom, low sea grass, musk, blue plum.

At first sniff I would say Privet Bloom is a green lily of the valley fragrance, with its fresh and non-sweet variety. But unlike many LoV scents, this one lacks dry metallic feel. Then I would say it is similar to Miller & Bertaux 4G but warmer and I guess Lemon verbena is responsible for this. Mind you, there is no galbanum in it, however it manages to create this grassy light green impression. . And then some magic happens: low key jasmine combined with a raspy waxy dark green note come to the front and start smelling yellow -- same feel like in AA Flora Nymphea and Chanel Beige. Fluffy, yellow, nostril tickling pollen -- that's what it is about, not mimosa, not acacia -- it is quite unusual and different. I do not know what privet shrub's blossom smell like, but it must be it.

I enjoy wearing Privet Bloom, it comes in both EdT and EdP and the Edp version lasts good 5-6 hours on this skin.
    Last edited by Twolf; 4th April 2011 at 03:09 AM.

Well, I got busy and ended up staying in the Coeur Joie all day yesterday, so today is going to be Amouage Gold day, and due to its longevity, probably all day long, as well.

Privet Bloom sounds luscious, by the way, Twolf.

Take care, all.
    Last edited by Leesee; 3rd April 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typos