Code of Conduct

Question Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale

On my lavender journey, I hadn't seen this one yet until now. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it and could compare to other prominent lavender like CS Oxford & Cambridge, Caldey, etc.

Default Re: Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale

Not familiar with the other two you mention but my wife has used the Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale and likes it.

I'm not familiar with the other two you mentioned, but R&G Lavande Royale has been a staple in my wardrobe for years. It is a light, straighforward lavender. A very good value for the money. Be sure to get the matching bar soap, too.

Basenotes Institution

Have you searched for older threads on this bokaba, I remember a very healthy discussion on LR on one of the lavender threads. If I find it, I'll post it. I personally have never smelled it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I've sampled it, not as pure as Caldey, a bit sharper. The longevity is abysmal.

I like many R&G scents but I do not like Lavande Royale. For me it is a "purple haze" of muddled notes, I don't get a pure lavender note in it. I find it dense and fairly sweet, as opposed to the very airy and very dry Oxford and Cambridge.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm at the end of my second bottle of this now, and with both I noticed significant scent deterioration after a year or so. Lavenders seem to be known for short shelf life.

When I see reviews of Lavande Royale online that describe it as harsh, I wonder if the reviewer is smelling old juice.

I'm going to buy a third bottle soon. This one works well in spring and summer. Time to stock up.

The thing about Roger&Gallet "Lavande Royale" that is not to be overlooked is that it is a reformulated, pumped up version of this venerable house's original classic "Lavande." I remember "Lavande" well, as in the hot summer, nannies and mothers would douse us with it: It came in huge bottles with hyacinth blue bakelite screw caps, always a splash--never in spray form. Once, I used it as mosquito repellent in Amsterdam in August and it worked beautifully. The reformulated "Lavande Royale" has all of the original's depth, and more: It seems they have added things to it in order that it appear complex and fascinating, when in fact they have merely made it smell cheap. One does indeed recognize that it's Roger&Gallet: There's just something about it--but unfortunately it never achieves the delicate perfection of it's predecessor. Comparing it to Oxford&Cambridge, I say Lavande Royale wins hands down: In fact, I declare "no contest." Oxford&Cambridge just tries so very hard to be something it's not, and fails miserably: Few on basenotes agree with me on this one, all fallen in admiration as they are with it. Over all, I would say that, to my knowledge, Lavande Royale is as good as it gets in a soliflore Lavender: It doesn't quite live up to the original, but it isn't far off, either. Contrary to others, I've found it's sillage and longevity to be astounding for an "eau fraiche." Hard Core Purists should try Puig's "Aqua Lavanda." Now, that's an experience! (a 5 minute one--but an experience!) The types of men who wear such things aren't looking for majestic flights of fancy. In this role, Lavande Royale, with its humble price, largely pays for itself. I recommend it.

Basenotes Institution

I look forward to smelling this soon, a BN buddy is going to send me some. He, personally, does not like it.

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm with ody. It has a very heavy musk and it really didn't do it for me. I'm a lavender lover and I gave my bottle away...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

LMdM wrote: Over all, I would say that, to my knowledge, Lavande Royale is as good as it gets in a soliflore Lavender
    Have you tried Lavender by Caldey Island? Some think it the best lavender soliflore.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

A soliflore is a very difficult challenge for a perfumer. I was once told by Jean Kerleo that the trick is not to capture the essence of the flower, but in fact to capture the idea of the essence of the flower: In that school of thought, my vote's cast for Yardley English Lavender as "hors concours" as the French would say: Out of Contest. Both Lavande Royale & Oxford&Cambridge are meant to be soliflores, yet in reality neither of them are: O&C has all manner of woodsy undertones and has a tenacious heaviness that defines it very clearly as a composition: It's clear that the good people at C&S laboured intensely over it, and this is precisely why I don't like it. R&G's Lavande Royale, on the other hand, is a less obvious labour of love: Yes, there are lots of things in there: There is no doubt. However, it does manage to capture something quite effortless which, i would assume, would be the Holy Grail of one in search of such a thing as a soliflore lavender: When I'm feeling wholesome and simple, which may suprise some, I reach for it: It, and Yardley English Lavender, are the only two that translate that "nothingness" with the requisite elegance expected of a gentleman. There are so very many other options, naturally. The point, I suspect, is that were one in fact in search of this state of simplicity, there's Aqua Lavanda, Yardley English Lavender, and Lavande Royale: All demonstrating their countries of origin's singular point of view on the subject: AG is very Spanish, YEL is "oh so English," and LR is as French as French gets. Beyond these, one might as well be wearing pure Lavandin: Available in any French pharmacie, and quite an effective medicament.

Once again, LR is not a bad fragrance. Just the lavender is muddled and obfuscated by other elements (this can be a satisfying accord if well blended, but unfortunately LR is not). After the opening notes, all I really get is a gray musk type note with a heavy helping of cedar that smells like pencil shavings--a sought after note in red wines I hear, but not perfume.

Which is why yet another French saying comes in handy, oft quoted by my mother: "A chacqu'un son mauvais gout." (To each his own bad taste) The "gray musk note with cedar and pencil shavings," a very deft description of the singular quality of LR, most obvious in its dry down, sounds delicious to me! Most certainly, There are surely more bottles of "Kouros" sold than there are of Lavande Royale: This would imply that many are men who will pay dearly to smell of an airport urinal. Why ever then not gray musk, cedar and pencil shavings! Congratulations to Bokaba on doing a splendid job describing precisely why Lavande Royale falls short of its original version: This woody, musky aftertaste of old is exactly what the well meaning technicians at Roger Gallet added to "Lavande" to make it "Lavande Royale." Interestingly, for that which concerns myself, I would also point out that the flight of Lavande Royale smells very much like German Tourist on a hot day: albeit briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Once again, LR is not a bad fragrance. Just the lavender is muddled and obfuscated by other elements (this can be a satisfying accord if well blended, but unfortunately LR is not). After the opening notes, all I really get is a gray musk type note with a heavy helping of cedar that smells like pencil shavings--a sought after note in red wines I hear, but not perfume.
    Bokaba,
    I've got a bottle of LR and used it this morning because I felt like a splash application on a warm sunny day.

I agree with you that it's not a lavender prominent juice, and indeed the musk is a big deal with it; it's more a fruity musk scent for me, closer to the magnificent Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur than to other lavender themed scents. (Regret I don't know the C&S.)

I also agree with you that it's not a bad scent. I find it very good, in fact and am glad I have a bottle for summer days and splashes, it's just that the greatness of this clean and smiling scent isn't rightly compared with the lavender category.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Wore this today.

I am talking about the Eau de Cologne version, NOT the Eau de Toilette.

Nice, light, linear with a wonderful phantom sort of oakmoss note that arrived in the base notes which totally threw me. I only have a small sample so I couldn't douse myself with it but I plan on doing this soon.

I want more.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wore this today.

I am talking about the Eau de Cologne version, NOT the Eau de Toilette.

Nice, light, linear with a wonderful phantom sort of oakmoss note that arrived in the base notes which totally threw me. I only have a small sample so I couldn't douse myself with it but I plan on doing this soon.

I want more.
    Yes yes, more is certainly warranted. This one is best with frequent reapplication. Best if you keep a fresh supply around the house. Like many lavenders, it ages rapidly.

I've said it many times on BN: don't miss the matching bar soap. It's dreamy and beautiful. Perfect for any time of year. A genuine, affordable luxury.

Well, I'm just back from Amsterdam with all of its pesky mosquitos. In 21 days there were two days of hideous heat, and when I say hideous, I mean hideous. One of the most important things about a summer splash is that one can douse/spray oneself with it all over, including privates, and be comforted: Eaux Fraiches were all originally medicaments to cure various ailments, headaches, insect bites, etc. Strong with this discussion I tested out Roger&Gallet "Lavande Royale" and Puig's "Agua Lavanda." It went this way: Not only did the R&G LR not keep the mosquitos away, it grew heavy, musky and pencil shaving-y in the heat and humidity--it also burned my face and beard: One should be able to douse oneself in these. Aqua lavanda, however, was a smash success: I was ready to drink it, and did. (result: I don't recommend it as a quick gulp) It cools, comforts, repels mosquitos, does not burn your ears, beard, nose, or foufoune, and is just generally delicious. It also comes in a 750ml "family size" that one can quite literally pour on. The only test it failed was the taste test. Definitely not drinkable, this. Final analysis: If you want a scintillating summer eau fraiche that works wonders in buggy climates, here's your juice. Just don't forget the bottle of vodka.

Basenotes Institution

Sorry to go off topic, but Agua Lavanda sounds great (and it's so affordable too!)

-- Jack Kerouac