Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Lorenzo Villoresi Ylang Ylang EDT - Has Anyone Else Heard of This?

While in Rome just recently, I acquired a bottle of a Lorenzo Villoresi fragrance called Ylang Ylang. It is an EDT in a typical frosted clear glass LV bottle.

I was unable to find any information about this fragrance, and contacted Lorenzo Villoresi's customer service by email. I was very kindly told that this fragrance is discontinued, which I was somewhat sorry to hear.

Nonetheless, it is a wonderful floral, bearing some similarity to Chanel no. 5 Eau Première (which is obviously why I fell for it). It's somewhat more floral and less citric than no. 5 EP, and has a strong jasmine/white floral presence, yet it is only slightly dirty - just a bit of sweet indole. Never animalic or crude, it dries down to a wonderful, soft, powdery vanillic base, in contrast to the Chanel's sandalwood. I feel that a guy can pull this off easily - perhaps even more easily than Eau Première. It is a really nice floral for guys like me who aren't really big fans of most floral fragrances. It is quite strong for an EDT. Longevity is reasonable but not great. Projection and sillage are good. [I was probably getting a bit too much projection on a crowded Roman bus, to be completely honest, and was doing what I could to tone down the evaporation. I likely would have gotten beaten up on an American Greyhound full of fellow rednecks, but Romans understand the virtues of a man getting a bit too exuberant in one of the many profumerias. ] The development of the fragrance isn't perfect on my skin, and I would undoubtedly choose Eau Première over it, but I do still consider this to be one of my better catches.

What I am wondering - has anybody out there even heard of this? If so, do you recall anything else, such as release date, discontinuation date, etc.? I would like to submit this great fragrance to our database in the name of keeping it authoritative, even though it will clearly be hard to get a hold of this one.

For those who are seriously interested in sniffing or acquiring this fragrance, there are still some bottles out there, evidently. Muzio on Viale Jonio in Rome is your Muse! (Yes, Mimi and Nick - I made the pilgrimmage! Details coming! )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi Ylang Ylang EDT - Has Anyone Else Heard of This?

Great find!!
    I love Lorenzo Villoresi. His "lorenzinade" is consistent throughout his line and appeals to me. I h ave sandalo and vetiver and will very soon acquire both wild lavender and aqua di colonia.
    How prominent is the ylang ylang?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, hedonist! I'm a bit late to the party on Lorenzo - this was my first sniff - at least that I can recall. If I smelled anything of his before, it was without appreciating it. And it's wonderful news to hear that there is such a "lorenzinade" - because I also bought Yerbamate! I simply couldn't decide which bottle to buy, and I knew that it would be a long time before I was back to this store again, so I splurged. Also, my wife loved Ylang Ylang, and even if she didn't want me to buy something for her, I knew well enough to buy the fragrance she liked "for myself"!

I just pulled out my sample of steam-distilled ylang-ylang, so that I could give your question my best possible answer. I would say that ylang-ylang is very prominent. It is also a high-quality ylang-ylang (higher than my sample, at least), and extremely well-balanced in the composition, so that all the rough edges of the ylang-ylang component (minty and herbal notes) are smoothed off by the other components - both by the citrus topnotes and the soft, sweet base. The resulting ylang-ylang accord is thus very refined compared to the raw form. Clearly some talent here.

I'm not sure why it was discontinued, although it may simply not have been as good of a seller as the others in the line. It is much leaner and closer to a soliflore than the other Villoresi scents that I smelled, but the clarity and transparency really work. It really is one of the best overtly floral fragrances I've ever smelled. Very classic and classy - none of this modern candy floss or artificial sweeteners. A man wearing this will smell refined, and a woman wearing it will smell formidable and quite unattainable.

Lorenzo Villoresi - where have you been all my life?

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that!
    I'm a huge Lorenzo fan. It was a happy day when i discovered his line. I've been trying out most of his line and love everything. I can say this for sure. If you loved one perfume, chances are you will love most of his line. Due to his signature accord that i smelly distantly in sandalo, vetiver, wild lavender , patchouli , uomo, , and the others I've tried. I've been curious about yerbamate every since i learned about the beverage. Smart to splurge as his products are not easily accessible.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like lorenzo villoresi as well. I'm curious to see how he would handle ylang ylang, but I keep my expectations low.
    The sweet and spicy signature in his fragrances is lovely to me.