Code of Conduct

Thread: Zino Davidoff

Default Zino Davidoff

Hi, everybody.

I intend to buy Zino Davidoff for the first time. Many people told me it's a good fragrance. However I can't find it on stores in my city, so I'm probably going to buy it on a web store without testing it on my skin first.

But before buying I would like to understand something. Some people told me Zino Davidoff is similar to Armani Attitude (fragrance I really like), and others said it's close to Chanel Antaeus (which I dislike).

What do you think, is Zino closer to Attitude or Antaeus? And what should be the best time to use it - day, night, cold or hot weather?

I'd be grateful to learn something from you about Zino Davidoff. Thank you very much.

Default Re: Zino Davidoff

Welcome to Basenotes!

Zino is nothing like Antaeus so no worries there. Zino is a creamy dark rose scent for a man that's elegant and very beautiful IMO. There's a lot of love here for it as well as a lot of people who can't stand it. If you like rose fragrances my bet is that you'll love Zino- it's a darker ride than something like Lyric Man by Amouage.

For me it's a scent like nothing really out there. Yes, you may find similarities but in the end Zino stands alone as a unique scent. I absolutely love this stuff. Go man, go!!!!!
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could buy a mini of Zino off eBay if you want to sample it before buying. That's what I did. I like it a lot, and will be buying a full bottle as soon as my mini's run out.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    You could buy a mini of Zino off eBay if you want to sample it before buying. That's what I did. I like it a lot, and will be buying a full bottle as soon as my mini's run out.
    How many stars would you give it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    How many stars would you give it?
    5/5

go for zino, its nothing like Antaeus and i do not believe it is quite like armani attitude either. It is a very elegant sophisticated and classy scent that has an air of sensuality at the same time. It smells pretty creamy with honey and a very nice musk mixed in with rose notes and a bit of tobacco. What i've learned is, do not smell it close to your wrist, only smell from afar and catch the wafts and it'll be quite enjoyable.

Sur la Plage

Lots of reviews of Zino in the database: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121734.html
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My only concern is falling in love, because it's allegedly being discontinued.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    My only concern is falling in love, because it's allegedly being discontinued.

Love requires a leap of faith and a willingness to expose oneself to the possibility of loss. But oh! The rewards!!

Do it!
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd April 2011 at 03:54 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Yes, have no regrets buying it. You'll like it.

Zino is a definite "to test before buying"-fragrance. And between Antaeus and Attitude, it is somewhat closer to Antaeus since, inspite of various differences, both frags are genuienly powerhouse and shamelessly masculine

On a sliding scale with Attitude at 1 and Antaeus at 10, I would place Zino at about position 7. It is not unlike Antaeus at all... in fact I find them quite similar in style and "olfactory temperature".

I adore Zino. My miniature find has resulted in a full-bottle purchase.

Out of all the fragrances I've sampled and owned Zino is the #1 fragrance I would recommend not buying blind. This is the king of "love it or hate it". I'm not going to give my opinion because it's not constructive. I've sample the two mentioned as being close to resembling Zino. I prefer Attitude over the others as it's more wearable. To each his own though and you can pick up a 1 oz bottle for cheap.

When I first sampled Zino, I really thought it was overwhelming me and "too much". I thought of it as something I would not want to smell like, yet something kept pulling me in closer and closer. Soon afterwards, as my decant became used up, I pretty much loved the fragrance. Its a great scent. Thankfully, its aged far better than Antaeus.

I highly recommend buying a bottle. Just because you dislike a fragrance at first, it does not mean you cannot love it later on. As well, if you have not sampled it, buy or swap for a sample. There are a few offsite.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The opening is very strong and busy. If you get by that, it's closer to the frags that have strong patchouli, wood, and amber/vanilla in the base. Examples are Heritage, Mesmerize, and Moods Uomo (this is the gentlest of the bunch). Attitude is more of a gourmand. It is somewhat similar but not nearly as close as the others I mentioned, and it emphasizes coffee, which none of the others do. Also. Zino is more floral whereas Attitude is more of a spicy gourmand.

Thank you very much for all the opinions and informations. I see people here really have high knowledge about fragrances.

I have one more doubt - and sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm just beginning to learn about fragrances: doesn't the rose note in Zino make it smell like a female fragrance sometimes?

I'm just beginning to understand about fragrances as you see. I tested a lot of them on the stores but I'm still learning. I dislike things like One Million or Antidote - although I see they are high quality products. I like chypre and woody fragrances, and my favorite until now is Gucci by Gucci. But I wanted a "Gucci by Gucci with more sillage and projection", and then some people told me that Zino Davidoff could be that fragrance. What do you think?

Again, thank you.

You'd have to tell us what you think "masculine" is, because otherwise it's impossible to give you advice (if you want to stay within those boundaries). For example, lavender is a "floral" note yet is very common in "masculine" frags (apparently due to its herbal "tint"). And considering how sweet and cloying many "men's" frags are these days, I have no idea how to assess this notion at this point, other than to talk dominant notes that you seek. Even with strong rose, it can be dry floral, spicy/geranium, soapy, etc. In Zino specifically, I have yet to experience any strong rose note, but the geranium is there, which may be what others perceive "rose" as.

Zino's rose is not in the least feminine - no cause for worry there!

Bigsly, I like fragrances with wood and tobacco on it. To me they are the most masculine fragrances, but surely it's a very subjective thing, and that's just my preference.

Anyway, I decided to buy Zino Davidoff. I think I'm going to like it, based on what people said on this thread.

Thanks everybody for the opinions, it helped me a lot. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot about fragrances in this forum.

Well, it's got some real "nose-twisting" qualities at first, so bear with them and give the drydown a chance. If you like older tobacco frags with a touch of wood, you might want to try the original Lagerfeld Cologne (it's also not that expensive yet). Just do not buy Lagerfeld Classic, which is a terrible reformulation, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by User2836 View Post
    Bigsly, I like fragrances with wood and tobacco on it. To me they are the most masculine fragrances, but surely it's a very subjective thing, and that's just my preference.

Anyway, I decided to buy Zino Davidoff. I think I'm going to like it, based on what people said on this thread.

Thanks everybody for the opinions, it helped me a lot. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot about fragrances in this forum.
    Let us know how you go with Zino.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wearing Zino sample today for the first time... It is interesting but first couple of minutes really reminds me smell of animals in Zoo that I visited last Saturday. With vanilla coming in, animalic notes disappeared. Very nice and not at all dated.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 12th July 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

I crossed the line bought Zino, love it to bits. Formally joning the Zino lovers crowd!
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

If need an idea of how Zino might smell like, try Armani Attitude as that scent tries to copy Zino. Do not be fooled by different notes.

I bought it after just one sniff. I love it. Zino is not closer to any of those you mentioned .IMO

hi,

can someone send me a sample 1-2ml of zino please, ill send a frederic malle geranium sample spray 1.5 partly used, or poive le labo 1.5 spray minus 1 spray...?

Zino and Heritage is among my all time fans
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

HÚritage (guerlain) was derived from Zino and is more complex and imo the better scent... Zino however can be bought for peanuts(in Holland).