Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Round 3-- Jo Malone Sampling-- Grapefruit and Lime, Basil & Mandarin, USA only

The groups are now closed.

The extremely generous Jo Malone boutique at Nordstrom, West Farms Mall, CT, has done it again!

(links to previous Malone sampling threads: )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/271...Honey-USA-only
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...-Noir-USA-only

Sales associate Gretchen has given us 10 more Jo Malone samples to test, pass along, and review.

I don't need to tell you all how many people have been reading the other two Jo Malone sampling threads... on second thought, I will: 1033 views to date of the first group thread, 1113 views of the second. Clearly, people are interested in what we think of these fragrances. Ten members can test these, but many more will be reading the reviews and opinions posted here. Reviews are optional, as always, but I think the reviews we post are helpful for all who don't live near stores selling Jo Malone.

The colognes she felt we ought to try this time (and which she says are good tested in combination) and which I have 5 each of, are:

Grapefruit
    and
    Lime, Basil and Mandarin

I tried layering these on my hand at the store using the tester bottles. The combination is good-- my husband liked it-- but I think it has a masculine vibe-- so this is an especially good combination for the guys among us to test.
    Edit: 7 hours later and many hand washings, and I can still smell it on my hand (as a skin scent.)

In the last thread I posted the PDF of the suggested combinations. Here it is again:
    http://i.nordstromimage.com/images/d...biningtips.pdf

As before, we will form 5 groups with 2 members each. USA only due to postal restrictions

I will mail to the first 5 members (Edit: 4 packages have been mailed.)
    They will test the samples for a week or so, post any impressions they wish to share, and mail the samples to the next 5 members, who will then keep the samples.
    Postage to send them on will be $1.22. If you can't get to the post office, just stick on the stamps and drop the bubble mailer in a mailbox.

Newbies and guys are welcome as always, but if someone has just joined Basenotes in the last week, they will be among the ones to receive second.

I will need the names and addresses of the #1 members of each group; #2 members should message their names/ addresses to those who will ship to them.

Shipping order will be in post #2.

Who wants to do this? (Repeat members welcome.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 12th April 2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: updates

Blog Entries

Default Re: Round 3-- Jo Malone Sampling-- Grapefruit and Lime, Basil & Mandarin, USA only

This thread is for the shipping order and will be updated to show who has the samples, or to whom they have been sent.

Please post when you receive and when you mail them.
    Group 1-4 samples were mailed today 4/4/11

Asterisk shows who has the samples or to whom they have been mailed.

Group 1:
    1. FrouFrou
    2. *odioustoilet

Group 2:
    1. iechris
    2. *inscents

Group 3:
    1.* PerfumedLady

Group 4:
    1. *elizrj

Group 5:
    *Twolf
    (no second member)

At this point everyone has received the samples.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd April 2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: updates

Default Re: Round 3-- Jo Malone Sampling-- Grapefruit and Lime, Basil & Mandarin, USA only

I want to be in!!!!!!!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I've past the 500, I'm a junkie now!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Okay!

Can I do this one too?

Blog Entries

Yes! You're first in Group 2.

I had so much fun with the last two I'm sure you know I'd love to join,30 Roses.Nordstrom has been so wonderful with these!

FrouFrou,congratulations on your addiction!I can't think of better vices than fragrance and Basenotes!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

PerfumedLady, you are in.

I had a good talk with the SA today...she was wondering, what's in it for Nordstrom? A valid question.

I feel however that the sampling threads are read by so many that it's good for everyone-- for the people testing, for the people reading the reviews, for Nordstrom (good PR for a generous store) and good for Jo Malone. There just is no downside. Ten samples donated to this sort of group have more impact than 10 samples given, 2 at a time, to random individuals in the general community.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Did you have the info about number of thread views when you were speaking with the SA,Roses?To me,that speaks volumes.It seems like there's quite a lot of interest in this house.That's a lot of views for only two fragrances in the sampling group.Compare that to our Penhaligon's or 30 Roses threads-those naturally had a lot of views but we also had an enormous amount of samples in those cases.

Blog Entries

After the first thread, I left a little report for Matt, the Jo Malone manager at the store. He wasn't there that day but hopefully it got to him. I figure it's just accountability-- they have a right to know that their donated samples were put to good use.

The SA I spoke with today was just concerned about bad reviews, but as I said to her, honest reviews are what will be posted. If no one posts anything but positive reviews, they become meaningless. (If everything is "good", then "good" means nothing any more.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I had a good talk with the SA today...she was wondering, what's in it for Nordstrom? A valid question.
    For THAT PARTICULAR Nordstrom? I don't know. For Nordstrom as a company? I started shopping in my local one after finding out the difference between Nordstrom's and Macy's. I would have figured that one out from experience, but it's the BNers experiences posted on the threads that helped me make up my mind quicker and bring my cash to my local Nordstrom. My local one is far away from the one you're in, though, and I haven't gotten multiple samples yet, only single ones, no matter how I tried.

Blog Entries

Warum, their policy is 2 samples per person. The only reason I get more is because they know what I use them for-- and have checked BN to be sure.

But what you say is true-- there is a big difference between customer service at Macy's and Nordstrom. I don't buy fragrances at Macy's any more.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The SA I spoke with today was just concerned about bad reviews, but as I said to her, honest reviews are what will be posted. If no one posts anything but positive reviews, they become meaningless. (If everything is "good", then "good" means nothing any more.)
    Absolutely,none of our opinions would be taken seriously if we weren't honest.I'm truly not interested in "bashing" any fragrance.We all know about differing skin chemistries,differing tastes,etc.I've sometimes even figured out a fragrance was for me based on negative reviews!I figure for every fragrance I dislike,there's someone out there who wears it beautifully.

Also,another thing that's in it for them-online sales.I don't live near a Nordstrom but I can order from them!

Blog Entries

Twolf is joining us.

6 spots still open!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 04:09 AM.

That was quick! Put me as #2 in Perfumed Lady's group, please. Or, any available #2.

Blog Entries

Okay, I'll change the post to show that.

6 spots still open!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 04:59 AM.

Blog Entries

I did not show the BN threads, but everything else I did explain, how we are going to use samples, etc. I may not always sound convincing in person, I guess.

Blog Entries

Oh, Warum, I misunderstood-- didn't realize you meant you were trying to get samples for groups. Well, you know, an awful lot depends on the individual sales associates. Some are supportive of this concept and some are not, and it has nothing to do with your being convincing. And of course they are within their rights to do as they see fit with their samples.

Edit: I've been thinking about this more. I think it has to do with seeing the small picture or the big picture.

The small picture (which is valid) is the idea that samples used locally may give rise to local sales. True enough, they may. The big picture, equally valid, is that when literally thousands of people read about/think about a fragrance line or a specific fragrance, that can also produce sales. And certainly when there is good PR, that enhances sales overall.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Okay, am hitting the sack now.

If anyone else is interested in sampling these, just post and I'll check the thread i the morning.

I was out of touch all weekend, catching up this morning! OOOOh, sign me up. And I'd be happy to send along the samples I have left for layering. Or maybe we can do that on another round. I think at this point I have about 4+ samples, with a lot of fragrance left, so I'm going to enjoy testing some combos.

Thanks 30R!!

Blog Entries

Okay, elizrj, you are in. I have your address.

5 slots still open! What about the guys? This combo works well for guys, I think.

Blog Entries

Edit: I've mailed groups 1-4's bubble mailers today. Group 5's will go out as soon as we have a taker.

5 slots open.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th April 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Bumpity?

I'm surprised so few are interested in this. I actually thought this combo smelled better than the others.

Normally I love the sampling group threads, but these flavors just don't really appeal to me, and I've got tons of samples to test already. Thanks for doing this, anyway, though!

They've arrived!Will get going on these this weekend and get them on to Twolf early next week.Thanks,30 Roses!

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting.

We stil have 4 slots open if anyone wants to jump on board....

If I get no additional requests, I will instruct the members who are testing currently to go ahead an use up the samples they have.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th April 2011 at 08:10 PM.

I got the samples in the mail yesterday and am wearing Lime, Basil and Mandarin today. So far, I think this is my favorite of the Jo Malone's I've tried. Not sweet and I could easily see a guy wearing this. Not at all sweet, as some of the others are. I may have slightly oversprayed as several co-workers noticed I was wearing perfume today. Both said that they liked it and it didn't give them a headache. To date, I've had pretty good longevitiy with Jo Malones so I'm expecting it will stick around all day.

I'm not the person to pick out notes, sorry... I do think that this seems like a fragrance I could wear once our heat and humidity set in without it being too much.

Blog Entries

Odioustoilet is joining the group and will message his address to FrouFrou.

Well, if it's alright, I'm in

Blog Entries

Yes, inscents, please pm your address to iechris.

2 slots are still open.

I'm off to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday with my family and will not be here to reply to posts.

>>>If anyone else wants to join, there are 2 slots to fill. The first person to post that they want to join should message their address to PerfumedLady, and the second should pm their address to elizrj-- and then the group will be closed.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th April 2011 at 05:23 AM.

I tried one today, it was surprisingly nice and interesting.
    I am keeping them... I am not sending them to a loo which is odious
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

LOL, FrouFrou!

Odioustoilet, how on earth did you pick your name?

FrouFrou,you're hilarious!
    I'm wearing Lime,Basil&Mandarin for the second day in a row.It is pretty masculine but that's not bothering me in this case,it's an addictive little mood lifter!Very bright but not overly acidic or sharp as the name may imply.I don't think there are a whole lot of notes to pick apart here-other than the citrus and herbs you'd expect from the scent's name,I'm picking up coriander and patchouli and that's about all for me.I get no floral element,which is fine for this fragrance.The citrus/herb combination is just so refreshing I don't believe it needs anything else.I'm liking the way this house handles patchouli so far,that's been a perfect fit for me.I love the way it adds depth here but my patchouli-amplifying skin still lets the other notes come through.I'm with iechris,this is my favorite so far.I'm going to add a little Grapefruit to it in a while,just had to enjoy it again on its own for a bit!

Elizrj,I'm thinking this could be just awesome with Pom Noir,also maybe as a replacement for English Pear&Freesia from our last layering experiment.I'm wondering if it would help to add even more depth to the honey note in NB&H.If you get time to experiment,I'm sure everyone would love to hear your findings(I would)!

LOL @ FrouFrou. You guys are killing me here.

Blog Entries

Last call for members (2 slots left.) Group will close tomorrow afternoon if there are no more takers.

Sampled Grapefruit today on what turned out not to be a very good day. This one went on with a very quick blast of grapefruit and then to my nose it went straight to the drydown, which I would just describe as "masculine". Not bad, didn't get cloying on my two 2 hour drives today, but don't see myself wearing it again. I will give it major props for longevity. I sprayed one spray on each wrist at 5:00 AM today. I then drove two hours, showed my puppy in the cool/damp in a swapy field, drove two hours home, went shopping, worked in my yard for 2+ hours, washed my hand repeatedly and I can still faintly smell it at 9:00 PM!

Hopefully I'll get the samples in the mail to inscents tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Groups are now closed to new members.

Well,I'm two for two this round-loving both of these!I've been wearing Grapefruit on its own for a couple of days now and this is really interesting.Not a bath and body shop type single note scent,which is what I feared.The blast of grapefruit in the opening is TART!-and I get something my nose reads as "peppery" but that's incorrect,I think,the more I sniff.I think it's really more herbal/spicy,maybe something like rosemary or sage.Anyway,one heck of an opening,quite a blast but not loud or headache inducing at all.It settles right down and sweetens slightly(more herbs?)with the citrus staying nice and fresh.Then I get that wonderfully balanced patchouli base I recognize from English Pear&Freesia and Lime,Basil&Mandarin.Again,no florals,pretty masculine,don't care.I guess I just like citrus enough to overlook the masculinity in these and they are so very well done.I think most people would either really like Grapefruit or really not be impressed by it-I can't imagine anyone being offended by this one,though.I'm very glad I don't have to pass these on now,I'm saving some to try once it's miserably hot!That to me,is when this type of fragrance comes into its own as a valuable member of a wardrobe.Who doesn't need something refreshing when it's 95 degrees?!Thanks so much,30 Roses and I agree-these two together are one of my favorite combos I've tried,too.

Iagree the grapefruit is tart! I loved the LB&M the first time I tried it on it's own. The second time I layered it with the grapfruit and that made it more perfect.
    A very weird thing happened: I layered the LB&M with the grapefruit on my right wrist, and on my left wrist I layered the Grapefruit with the LB&M, and they smelled completely different!
    However, in the drydown I got a weird dusty plasticy smell which ended up making me feel sick so I had to scrub them. Strange.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Package is on its way to inscents today. I added the Pomegranate Noir from the last sample group as I did not like it and inscents said he did!

Ok, I'm done testing them each separately, let the layering begin. Before I do that, I'm pretty sure I don't have anyone to pass these on to right?

Just like 30Roses, the basil, lime & mandarin went on very masculine. I'm thinking it would be a great base for the Freesia, just like yous said. It had the feeling of one low note and one high note singing to me. Those herbs provide that deep bass, and the mandarin and lime chiming highly above them. I can't wait to try it in a whole composition.

The grapefruit went on pretty one note as well. It was a lovely grapefruit, but too one note for me to enjoy just by itself all day long.

Ok, so what I have left over for layering are ... (digs through box in memory)

Pomegranate Noir
    English Pear & Freesia
    Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    Vanilla Anise
    Wild Fig & Cassis
    Orange Blossom

I'm going to try a few combinations over the weekend and will post the combos and what I think. If anyone has a desire to try these, I'd be happy to send along the samples when I'm finished.

Blog Entries

You can keep the samples, elizrj, the group is closed. There was a long time for signup and I believe everyone had lots of time to sign up if they wanted to.

I was back at Nordstrom yesterday and got samples of these 2 for my husband to test properly as well.

Tested Lime, Basil and Mandarin yesterday. Un understated and refreshing elegance that can be pulled off by either gender. Smooth, nothing particularly sticks out, honest scent with non-fancy notes that do not pretend to be anything else than what they are. The musk in the drydown was not a deterrent, it complimented the whole composition nicely. The longevity is amazing -- 9 hours on the wrists. I liked it better though when about 10 years ago it was sold at our then local drugstore under the same name but manufactured by Parfums de Coeur (Designer Imposters), at $4.99 for 8 oz.

Blog Entries

Too bad that scent is in their discontinued list, Twolf! That would have been worth getting!

Blog Entries

Default Just got the sample packet of two Jo Malone scents yesterday! I'll be putting in my thoughts soon!

Hi fellow B'Noters, just got Grapefruit and Lime Basil, Mandarin vial sprayers yesterday, Thanks!
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Default Re: Just got the sample packet of two Jo Malone scents yesterday! I'll be putting in my thoughts so

Odioustoilet,we usually post when we receive samples and our reviews in the original thread for the sampling group,rather than start a new thread.Feel free to post there!

Default Re: Just got the sample packet of two Jo Malone scents yesterday! I'll be putting in my thoughts so

But I am glad you got them, they were send just as the postal office upped the prices!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Vielen Dank or Dank U
    Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    But I am glad you got them, they were send just as the postal office upped the prices!
    sent via commodore 64

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting us know you got them! Here's the thread for your impressions (the sampling group threads do get harder to find if they drop off the front page) :
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/274...darin-USA-only

Blog Entries

Today we visited a favorite source of British items, Mrs. Bridge's Pantry in Woodstock, CT. I bought a 3.5 oz. bottle of Bronnley Lime and Bergamot Eau Fraiche after being won over by the tester-- only $22.50! (Even less online, I see-- Smallfower has the same bottle for $17!)

This is a nice alternative to the Jo Malone one-- it is not exactly the same, of course, but I really like its freshness, realism and tenacity. It is very unisex. I plan to try layering it.

Edit 4/25: The Bronnley Lime & Bergamot layers beautifully with JM Fresh Mint Leaf.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 26th April 2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

I asked a moderator to merge this thread with the main one.

Blog Entries

Here's my take on these both; Great for the warmer weather coming up and my neophyte fragrance nose would find LIME,BASIL&MANDARIN close to Hermes' Vert/Voyage scents. More to come...............
    sent via commodore 64

Blog Entries

Sorry folks, I'm just not "feeling" it. I love limes and am up for mandarin, maybe it's the basil......a little on the acrid side for me. I wore it out today for a long walk. Just not crazy about it. I will pass on this scent, next.......the Grapefruit.
    sent via commodore 64

Blog Entries

This is probably the last post for this sample group. Many thanks for the people that make it possible for us to do this, namely 30 Roses.

I've already done Lime, Basil & Mandarin, now I'm giving my thoughts on Grapefruit. What a surprise, it smells like grapefruit! It's a great scent but that is pretty much it, grapefruit. I'm originally from Texas and S. Texas is home to some of the best grapefruits on the planet so I can honestly say that Jo M. has captured grapefruit's citric aroma!
    I think this would make a great base fragrance to mix with another, I'm not sure which one but in your imagination the sky is the limit. If I had to review it I would give it a neutral rating.
    Live long and prosper!
    sent via commodore 64

No, no, not the last post, I have not peeped a word about JM Grapefruit yet. Why not? I did not know what to say, to be honest. I also lived 10 years in TX, but not where grapefruits are grown, however everybody knows and some of us enjoy the way grapefruit smells. This one is pretty realistic but dull -- nothing is going on, just plain old pulp -- she could have included more juice or peel for an added interest which she did not. The longevity is not there and the whole thing seems like not the finished product but an accord to be included into other compositions, or like some of you said "to be layered with". If compared with CDG Citrus series Grapefruit, JM Grapefruit pales substantially, as well as compared to many JC Ellena scents with grapefruit in top notes for various companies. Nothing moves me, even slightly dusty and partly musky base is not attractive.

Blog Entries

One more post!

I found a great substitute for Lime, Basil & Mandarine while I was in NYC: Henri Bendel Persian Lime & Pepper edt.

I sprayed some on myself and on a card while at Bendel Saturday and the card (bagged to retain the smell) smells great!

Off topic, they also have a darn good substitute for Premier Figuier: Wild Fig which has a coconut milk note:
    http://www.henribendel.com/shop/perf..._eau_de_parfum
    I sprayed that one on a card and bagged it as well-- surprisingly good!

Blog Entries

One more post!

I found a great substitute for Lime, Basil & Mandarine while I was in NYC: Henri Bendel Persian Lime & Pepper edp.
    I sprayed some on myself and on a card while at Bendel Saturday and the card (bagged to retain the smell) smells great!

Off topic, they also have a darn good substitute for Premier Figuier: Wild Fig edp which has a coconut milk note:
    I sprayed that one on a card and bagged it as well-- surprisingly good!