Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on chanel égoïste

What do you guys think about this EDT?
    I got a sample at Macy's today and at first I thought it was a bit much and just a bit unnatural, but it just seems to be getting better and better. It's been 4 or 5 hours since applied now and it's so sweet and alluring, I can't stop sniffing my wrists

Default Re: Thoughts on chanel égoïste

Are you sure you didn't sample Egoiste Platinum? They are very different. EP is rather uninspiring to me, but if you haven't done a whole lot of sampling, and just want an office/school/formal frag, it's fine. The original Egoiste is too unbalanced for me, and there is another frag that is similar but better balanced, which I prefer. In either case, if you really like it, there's no reason not to get it, unless you fear that you will go on a spending spree and buy every frag you sample and like, in which case, you should probably start with buying small sample vials instead.

Egoiste has that impressive opening but I really hate the dry down, a good cold night perfume but watch out for the dry down, you don't know it might work for you.
    Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu

Sur la Plage

If you are talking about Egoiste, it is one of the best men's fragrances ever created.

If you are talking about Platinum Egoiste (which is sold at most Macys), it should have never been created.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you are talking about Egoiste, it is one of the best men's fragrances ever created.

If you are talking about Platinum Egoiste (which is sold at most Macys), it should have never been created.
    LMAO. Aw, shucks, Joe. Can't you give Luca Turin's "sad fougère" a break?

Honestly, if it really is a sample of original Égoïste in Macy's, that's great news. I know that they're putting out testers of Égoïste and Antaeus in Saks now. Definitely Égoïste deserves wider availability in America. On my recent Euro trip, I saw it everywhere in France and Italy, but it has been less common here, and that's a shame. I'm starting to think that maybe the severe drubbing that Bleu got in the perfume blogs and forums after release, and especially in comparison to Égoïste, convinced some Chanel marketing people that there is actually a small American market for their classics.

I didn't get Égoïste the first time I smelled some vintage stuff. I was so concentrated on the citrus and the wood - trying to sniff the sandalwood - that I entirely missed the fact that it's a really amazing rose fragrance (which Jack Hunter pointed out to me). The rose is really clear and elegant - like a glass flower. I'm a huge fan now.

Platinum Égoïste - I bought that mostly because my wife liked it in the store, and she teamed up with the SA to force me to buy it. Ah, the things we do for love. I've gotten some enjoyment out of it, but mostly I wear it to bed every once in a while so my wife will say it smells great.

I saw Egoiste, original version, in Nordstrom downtown Chicago yesterday. Yayy, this one is getting more popular distribution. Too bad it's not so much our exclusive little secret anymore. I always look for it when I'm perusing duty free shops. Usually somewhat available in those places.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I saw Egoiste, original version, in Nordstrom downtown Chicago yesterday. Yayy, this one is getting more popular distribution. Too bad it's not so much our exclusive little secret anymore. I always look for it when I'm perusing duty free shops. Usually somewhat available in those places.
    Awesome news!

I think Egoiste is a great scent.

I've used somewhere between 10 and 15 100ml bottles since the introduction of Egoiste.
    Absolutely love it. From the moment it sprays out of the bottle till 15 hours later when it's still lingering from your skin.
    Only one fragrance in the 22 years that followed made my jaw drop to the ground again and that was Coromandel.
    If Chanel ever discontinues any of these two, I'll head over to Paris and start a massacre!
    Enjoy!

is this scent wearable in summer too?

or is it too sweet?

I'm pretty sure the cologne I sampled was the original égoïste, it was at a sort of upscale Macy's in a ritzy sort of shopping center so they may have had a larger selection than most Macy's. It was great though, I'm considering going back for it, I feel like of everything I have right now I don't have anything that formal or with that amount of longevity. I could definitely imagine myself wearing this to a wedding or an opera.

Quote Originally Posted by vormittagsspuk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the cologne I sampled was the original égoïste ... I don't have anything that formal or with that amount of longevity. I could definitely imagine myself wearing this to a wedding or an opera.
    The way you describe it, it has to be original Egoiste: that's wedding / opera material! And lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    is this scent wearable in summer too?

or is it too sweet?
    I love it on any day, but I'm not objective on this one, hehe... Most would say it's an autumn/winter fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vormittagsspuk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the cologne I sampled was the original égoïste, it was at a sort of upscale Macy's in a ritzy sort of shopping center so they may have had a larger selection than most Macy's. It was great though, I'm considering going back for it, I feel like of everything I have right now I don't have anything that formal or with that amount of longevity. I could definitely imagine myself wearing this to a wedding or an opera.
    Cool - sounds like it's definitely Égoïste. Glad you mentioned weddings and operas - I'm going to break it out for the next crowded concert - it would be perfect. I've been using a bunch of other scents, and it's often a real pain trying to keep the level in that perfect region that's pleasing to people around you without them really noticing. Égoïste, in contrast, has this sort of built-in subtlety that is just perfect. Timbuktu is like that as well, but a bit less formal, IMO.