Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Habanita by Molinard: My Reivew (WOW!)

Having lots of scents, designer and niche and believing that there was no room for surprise in terms of fragrances, I WAS WRONG

I must say that I am really amazed by Molinardīs Habanita: It is the most complex scent Iīve ever experienced.

Upon aplication it is a complex cloud of vetiver, vanilla, flowers, leather and tobacco. But a couple of minutes leater that cloud seems to divide itself into three different concentric "spheres"
    From a distance it projects a manly blend of vetiver and spices, with a semi-green feel (outer sphere)
    At middle range I sense leather and tobacco with hints of wood and some sweetness (mid sphere)
    Up close there is a lovely mix of vanilla, smoke, flowers and baby powder (inner sphere)
    It is unbelieveble that this complexity and these very different layers live within the very same scent.
    This stage of three scent cocoons endure for a long time with potency and clear individuality.
    Then the mid sphere seems to vanish and the outer and inner ones blend into an incredible mossy mix of vetiver, vanilla and oakmoss.
    After a long while (10 or 12 hours later) the final drydown is pure vetiver and oakmoss. Delicious.

It is an unbelievable journey of scent wonders. I am speachless at this point.

Long life to Habanita!!!! You will always have a place in my wardrove.

cheers

Pablo

PS: Thankyou BASENOTES for introducing me to this beauty and for being a reliable source of good wise people that are always willing to help other fellow perfume lovers.
    Last edited by Halo; 4th April 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Default Re: Habanita by Molinard: My Reivew (WOW!)

My wife used to wear this years ago for a while but tired of it rather quickly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Habanita is one of the towering giants of perfumery and a must-own for lovers of both dark, smoky leather fragrances and vetivers. When I was a total newb without a broad understanding of different styles and genres I read about Habanita and acquired a sample. I was initially turned off because my mind just couldn't grasp the power of what I was smelling. Fast forward years later and a thousand times more sampling experience when I re-tested Habanita. My reaction was exactly like that of the OP. Habanita is some serious juice - potent as anything you've ever sniffed with countless nuances and layers. The modern formula isn't particularly great but the vintage EdT is easily acquired for under $30. One of the gems of my entire collection is a small flacon of vintage Habanita extrait....

Habanita EDT (the modern version) is one of my top ten. To be sure, it is very complex and elegant.

This is a true unisex, though it is sold as a women's scent. A dark blend of florals, tobacco and leather.

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...-habanita.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th April 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if mine is vintage juice. I bought it at Fragrancenet.
    I read the ingredients on the label and it list oakmoss (evernia prunastri)...does that indicates something??? it is the 100 ml lalique black flacon qith ornamented golden top.

cheers!

Little update: My wife just put some HAbanita and on her the first minutes I get clean diapers and baby powder with a chypre-like undertone and tobacco leather.... It was like smelling a beautiful lady (my wife!!) wearing Bandit or Knize Ten, carrying my beloved little prince Jancinta recently clean while she was a baby....

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't tried this, but I do own Vanille Patchouli, which is awesome. I have tried many from Molinard, and their quality continues to impress me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Habanita is nothing like the perfumes in Molinard's "vanille" line. If anyone wants a sample of vintage Habanita EdT (or tips on how to ID a vintage bottle) drop me a note. Based on the description it sounds like the OP picked up an older, but not vintage, bottle. Don't get me wrong - it all smells good - but the vintage is even more special.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds really delish! Oh no!

Post Thanks / Like

Wore it yesterday and yes, I do agree, it is awesome...

Habanita is fantastic and yes, complex. I think I might even prefer the newer to the vintage I have. Vintage extrait is something that I haven't had the chance to experience, unfortunately. My "problem" is I discovered Roja Dove's Enslaved and eventually went nuts for the extrait of it. Since they share the overall vibe and feeling, it is Enslaved I reach for when in the mood. Enslaved extrait is heaven and my nose calibration for quality.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading Pablo's/Halo's account about becoming a new fan of Habanita. I have both modern and vintage and adore both- the modern has more vanilla, the vintage more tobacco to my nose. Both are complex, fairly priced to the point of ridiculous, long lasting (on my skin) and take you to another place and time. She can still kick butt after all these years...
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Habanita is indeed a fantastic, long-lasting aura scent with an interesting history of origins!
    Last edited by easyfish; 5th April 2011 at 05:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this one blind based on the positive reviews here and there. The first time I tried Habanita I was disappointed. It was too powdery, too strong, unpleasant and very feminine; and I didn’t like it at all! But after having tried several times with different application methods, I got it. Now, I find Habanita fantastic. However I have to apply it lightly- I use “walk-through” method- in order to fully enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

In the reviews Mr. Naed Nitram finished his account with "That being said, I believe that any man who can wear Habit Rouge could also wear Habanita." This is my experience as well... and it is a good thing.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

So nice to see this thread 'cuz some Habanita is already making its way to ...ME.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle and it was once on my swap list. Thankfully, it wasn't moving. At the same time, I realized what a good fragrance I had and wondered why I kept seeking out other fragrances when I had something like Habanita with me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Might have to seek for a bottle of this one...

Toujours Moi smells similar to this.

I find it unusual, but, in some of its notes, similar to LouLou and Lagerfeld, which I do not like.

I want it too, can someone help me to find a those vintage for 30usd?
    Thanjks my friends

Post Thanks / Like

I had been looking for an excuse to sample Habanita, and this thread is it.

Just curious: How vintage is the "properly" vintage version? Do you have to go back 5 years, or 15...or 50?

A little help distinguishing among the different bottles would be much appreciated, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    ... How vintage is the "properly" vintage version? Do you have to go back 5 years, or 15...or 50? A little help distinguishing among the different bottles would be much appreciated, too.
    I can't give you a hand on that, I can only tell you that a fellow BN sent me a vial, after which I decided to get a bottle. I could find differences between them in terms of longevity and sillage, but the one I've got isn't bad at all.

Aside from this, I can trace a note that I also found in reformulated vintage scents - Chanel N° 5, Magie Noire and Opium, but not so marked as in the case of these last ones.

Post Thanks / Like

... How vintage is the "properly" vintage version? Do you have to go back 5 years, or 15...or 50? A little help distinguishing among the different bottles would be much appreciated, too.
    I can't give you a hand on that, I can only tell you that a fellow BN sent me a vial, after which I decided to get a bottle. I could find differences between them in terms of longevity and sillage, but the one I've got isn't bad at all.

Aside from this, I can trace a note that I also found in reformulated vintage scents - Chanel N° 5, Magie Noire and Opium, but not so marked as in the case of these last ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

Thanks. I assume you mean your more recent version has lower longevity and sillage (than the vintage), yes? And how would you rate your bottle on both counts?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I assume you mean your more recent version has lower longevity and sillage (than the vintage), yes? And how would you rate your bottle on both counts?
    As per my experience, minimal changes that are noticeable if you have the chance of comparing them, not so if you get the new one - OK, let's assume the very high probability of the existence of a fellow BaseNoter who owns a vintage bottle from the 1950's that will assure you that the present-day blend is plain crap . Take this as a hobby-based bias.

Halo's comment is right, it is wonderful in its complexity, sillage and longevity, although the reformulation I am referring to. IMHO, it might be in line with powerhouses from the 1980's, a good reason for wearing it with care for in these latitudes, a cologne-smelly man is to be the object of criticisms as well as jokes.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern with reformulations of classic scents, when they are not trashed outright, is the tendency of firms to chip away at the "grandness" of their composition with cheaper, less-complex synthetics.

I hate that hollow feeling I get when sniffing something like L'Air du Temps and wishing it was fuller, richer, a bit more stately at both ends and knowing that it very probably once was.

If the present-day Habanita, whatever its relation to the original, remains interesting and challenging and altogether worthwhile, well I'm sold.

Post Thanks / Like

... If the present-day Habanita, whatever its relation to the original, remains interesting and challenging and altogether worthwhile, well I'm sold.
    Being in the USA, I'd look after a sample If I were you - a generous one, if available.

Tried it today (thanks Loretta for the samples).

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

Opens bombastic flowery and smoky, then settle down leathery, spicy and powdery.
    There are an accord that remind me laundry (the mix of cristaline water, softener and bath towels) wich i did not liked too much.
    But the overwall expecience is amazing. Very masculine for our time (as about all pre 90s female perfumes).

Highly recommended. I will try to find a vintage, or a current, since its fantastic!

Damn. Just when I thought I was going to have a break from buying fragrances I read this thread. Coming to get ya Habanita!!!
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd very interested in tips of how to get the vintage habanita, can anyone help? thanks, danny